Toy Rolex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
anyone help with info as to the
flacknell creek rdbetween jerrawa and rye park road
as its just straight thru no hassles with farms
My place is off Flacknell Creek, the road is fine but there is a few "L" shaped off camber corners to watch for.

They give the most problems when traveling in the other direction.
Yamaha MT09, The Scud Missile
I'm out of my depth in a carpark puddle.
Toy Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #4052
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,273
Pissed Huh?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...015-2vjsp.html

Second last para of the article, the ACT MRA is allegedly calling for wire rope barriers. WTF? Are they mad? Or just stupid?

Or is the article a wind-up? I dunno, but an MRA asking for wire rope barriers is just insane.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #4053
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,154
peter major has always been dead set against rope barriers. i'm hoping it is a journos cock up, not like that would happen

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #4054
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post

Second last para of the article, the ACT MRA is allegedly calling for wire rope barriers. WTF? Are they mad? Or just stupid?

Or is the article a wind-up? I dunno, but an MRA asking for wire rope barriers is just insane.
Sounds ridiculous ...

Must be a journo stuff-up, surely ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #4055
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,540
Quote:

Don't do it, the f#####g things are the greatest killer of riders going,
Then again, on here I'm only preaching to the converted anyway,
Makes ya wonder about how many of these cockheads are in positions of power to make these decisions on our behalf - for our own protection
Hope they suffer from Abbott's cutbacks, f#####g oxygen thieves
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #4056
Adenco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I'm a bit concerned about the guilty til proven innocent part;

"The onus should be on motorists involved in accidents with cyclists or pedestrians to prove they were not at fault"

Isn't that the job of the accident investigators to determine who was at fault if its not obvious?
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #4057
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post
I'm a bit concerned about the guilty til proven innocent part;

"The onus should be on motorists involved in accidents with cyclists or pedestrians to prove they were not at fault"

Isn't that the job of the accident investigators to determine who was at fault if its not obvious?
This is partly why I was wondering if the piece is just a wind-up, designed to generate responses and outrage. The newspaper media seem to be doing more and more of these articles, I think they are designed with online readership in mind to get the cranky juices flowing at the keyboard (but all it seems to do is attract the trolls).

UPDATE:
I checked the MRA ACT website, they are not calling for more wire rope barriers at all, so I emailed them to point out the article, it's with them now.

GodSilla screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 02:52 PM
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #4058
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
This is partly why I was wondering if the piece is just a wind-up, designed to generate responses and outrage. The newspaper media seem to be doing more and more of these articles, I think they are designed with online readership in mind to get the cranky juices flowing at the keyboard (but all it seems to do is attract the trolls).

UPDATE:
I checked the MRA ACT website, they are not calling for more wire rope barriers at all, so I emailed them to point out the article, it's with them now.

You could be on the money there with your theory Tom, strange world we live in, everything revolves around opinions - usually not ours,
Oh well - time to head to the garden, do some landscaping & vegetate on the world's problems, never know - I may solve them, wouldn't that be great!!!
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #4059
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:

This is partly why I was wondering if the piece is just a wind-up, designed to generate responses and outrage.

The newspaper media seem to be doing more and more of these articles, I think they are designed with online readership in mind to get the cranky juices flowing at the keyboard (but all it seems to do is attract the trolls).
I think you're right about this ...

The comments online all read like the sort of mindless discussions to be found on Canberra Riders - I've never understood why anyone would want to blog for the sake of it - i.e. just read and write complete crap about complete crap - just white noise - background shite - no-one is talking for the sake of communicating something of any value ...

Suspect the answer lies in the much darker side of internet discussion, which is really about feeding the instinct re' jostling for social hierarchy - the internet is a completely false electronic hierarchy, but people get hooked on it nevertheless and it becomes really important to them - kids and teenagers more so (FB mania and the like) but adults as well - IMO this is the whole underpinning of 'social media', which is otherwise such a transparently stupid concept ...

Seriously, WTF is Twitter ... ?

Must be a nightmare for office-based employers trying to get some value / productivity out of their workforce ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #4060
havafati
Yassdafarian

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I think you're right about this ...

The comments online all read like the sort of mindless discussions to be found on Canberra Riders - I've never understood why anyone would want to blog for the sake of it - i.e. just read and write complete crap about complete crap - just white noise - background shite - no-one is talking for the sake of communicating something of any value ...

Suspect the answer lies in the much darker side of internet discussion, which is really about feeding the instinct re' jostling for social hierarchy - the internet is a completely false electronic hierarchy, but people get hooked on it nevertheless and it becomes really important to them - kids and teenagers more so (FB mania and the like) but adults as well - IMO this is the whole underpinning of 'social media', which is otherwise such a transparently stupid concept ...

Seriously, WTF is Twitter ... ?

Must be a nightmare for office-based employers trying to get some value / productivity out of their workforce ...
FACEBOOK. This is the biggest problem in our younger workforce and some of the older ones who should know better. Seriously some of em are going to have serious neck problems later on in life they are hunched over so much. I use Facebook myself but everything has a time and a place, mines on my smoke break to log in to ADV to stir Doc. Working in television at the pointy end they are paid to monitor content and advertising, our error rates have gone through the roof with the influx of 19/20 somethings as they just don't give a shit unless its on their smart phones, used to drive me batshit but now I have my own little part of the TV world in my own little office I'm past it.

As for the Canberra Times, Im not even going to bother reading it and upping his (s)hit count. I remember talking to one of their reporters at a function once and she was telling me about a story she did on the last plasterer in Canberra, this old guy of 80. I said I was currently working on a team of plasterers and she gasped "You mean your a plasterer, he's not the last". I informed her that there where hundreds of plasters working in the ACT and the old fella she was referring to was the last old school custom cornice makers in the ACT/NSW. She'd ballsed her story up big time stating there were no plasterers left in the ACT, oh whatever will we do. Fact Checking, not their strong suit.

Cheers
Fati
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #4061
Adenco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
This applies to any employer mate. I own a bar and restaurant and I'm constantly amazed at my staff and their need to have their phone on them just in case they miss their 1 of 500 friends telling them "I like just had and awsome poo". When you do tell them to put their phone away they jump on (insert social media choice here) and tell the world they have just been bollocked by the boss and how unfair I am!!!

Guess I'm just, like, getting too old to get it
Adenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #4062
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenco View Post
This applies to any employer mate. I own a bar and restaurant and I'm constantly amazed at my staff and their need to have their phone on them just in case they miss their 1 of 500 friends telling them "I like just had and awsome poo". When you do tell them to put their phone away they jump on (insert social media choice here) and tell the world they have just been bollocked by the boss and how unfair I am!!!

Guess I'm just, like, getting too old to get it

In my industry it seems to be pandemic, including the boss' - they're probably the worst,
The way I look at it is;- fuck it, leave it in my jacket, if I miss a call there's always messagebank, just use it as a phone mostly,
always in the shit with the boss' for not checking my work E-mail & not answering the phone within 2 seconds of it ringing, WTF
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #4063
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
UPDATE:
Guess what? The email address on the MRA ACT website is invalid, my email bounced. FFS!

We live in a world where mediocrity is the new norm.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #4064
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The Media

This talk of the media, reminds me of a time in the early 80's when I was President of the Southern Tablelands MRA based in Goulburn. We were doing various activities and felt we needed a little bit of media coverage from our local paper, the paper wasn't at all interested in covering a positive story about motorcycling, so we would write the story for them and even supply the photographs. They usually didn't print it or if they did they re-wrote it so that it wasn't the message that we had intended, which made us more than a little disappointed and angry.

Then one Saturday morning in Early December (1982 from memory) we were assembling for our annual Toy Run, a rather thin fellow with a big professional looking camera turned up, he came over to us and asked if he could get a ride on a bike and film the event, after a couple of minutes conversation we found out his name, Chis Jones “The Jones” and he's a freelance photojournalist, and was hoping to get some footage to sell to TV stations. A couple of minutes later and he's mounted backward, helmetless, leaning on the Gearsack rack of a GSX1100 whos owner he had know for about 30 seconds, scooting down between two rows of moving bikes filming it. We all watched the news that night for a change, to say we were blown away is an understatement, “The Jones” had presented it how we had thought it was all along, motorcycling is FUN FUN FUN. I could imagine an average punter watching it in his lounge and thinking “gee, I might buy a motorbike” . Jones from then on turned up and filmed what we were doing, he got his footage to sell and we got good PR. There was also lot of footage we did for fun that never made to TV as well.

Sadly Chris passed away two weeks ago today, RIP Jones, whether you end up in Heaven or Hell the party there is about to turn wild.

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #4065
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
throttle cables

... while all this talk about other social media on this social media website is very interesting... ....

can anyone tell me where I can find a good value place to get a throttle cable around canberra?

one on the KLR is hanging on a single thread, so I guess I have got the value from that one, but buggered if I want to go to CMC Kawasaki for their "special" prices....

YES I finally got the KLR running, up and around the block a few times today. Feels great, can't wait to take it for a real spin....

Having two bikes properly functional for the first time in three months is awesome
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote