Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #4546
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
I've noticed that some tyre designs are completely different from one size to the next.... which I would imagine makes for an entirely different tyre! .
There's another "gotcha!" with tyres too.

You might use a specific tyre that works a treat, buy a replacement that seems to be identical, and it is the worst piece of shit ever.

Checking the sidewalls, you may well find that they are manufactured in different countries, and apart from that piece of information they will be identical externally in every other respect.

The TKC's that come standard on BMW Adventures are a case in point. The original fitment tyres are made in Chermany, and are good-wearing and good for grip. Any replacement will come from Asia, and will last half as long (if you're lucky), and puncture twice as easily. The ONLY difference, externally, is the country of manufacture. Internally, the compound is cheaper, the sidewall construction is different and lighter, and they are simply not the same tyre.

As a general rule of thumb, European manufactured tyres tend to have a stiffer construction carcass, making them more stable, longer lasting, better handling, and better puncture resistance. I strongly suspect the compounds in use are better quality too.

I'm also up for a ride to Coree and the Brindies if the day is right for me, but not in the stinking heat - been there, done that, still coughing up the dust.............

GodSilla screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 09:13 PM
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #4547
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post

Sounds good... I too am a gentleman so no problem there....

re more challenging trails, cool... keeping in mind that I am still very much a dirt beginner....
Noted.

And if it's hot a refreshing dip in the Cotter or Goodradigbee would be the go, GodSilla.

Say a 10am start Thursday or Friday at the concrete causeway at the bottom of Coree?
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #4548
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,441
Thursday forecast for act is currently 9 - 24 degrees, slight chance of a shower, sounds excellent. 10:00 is most civilised.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #4549
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
As a general rule of thumb, European manufactured tyres tend to have a stiffer construction carcass, making them more stable, longer lasting, better handling, and better puncture resistance. I strongly suspect the compounds in use are better quality too.
My current tires must be made in vietnam or something then.

I'm revising my original life prediction: this mornings ride finished em. A mere 3000km each....

My last E09 Dakar lasted me twice that. Same for the 606 And I dont think there's a harder wearing knobbie out there for the 950.

Edit: Just checked and E09 was Czech Republican and the 606 Indonesian.

Jdeks screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 10:18 PM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #4550
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Thursday forecast for act is currently 9 - 24 degrees, slight chance of a shower, sounds excellent. 10:00 is most civilised.
I'd prefer Thursday too.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #4551
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
My scorpion rally (front) and scorpion trail (rear) are both made in Brazil.

The Mefo rear seems to have been grown, as I can't find a "made in" anywhere....

re ride, I'll try for Thursday... will let you know. Temperature and time sound great, day I'll have to see...

(down the coast tomorrow... if I can leave my kids with the friends on Weds night I'm in.... will find out tomorrow and when I have internet reception will post).
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #4552
PeterWebtrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Another good ride - thanks everyone.

Beautiful weather, and surprisingly little dust ... when you're the one navigating ...

Drs Flat / Nottingham and on through to the Broken Cart area were all good - very dry (as expected) but soft - it was also good to see the Yaouk valley again - superlative big-bike road - we'll get to Goobragandra Powerline Rd another day ...
Yep, great ride. Thanks for organising.

We are blessed to have great tracks and roads like that within 20 minutes of the city. My first time on Yaouk and it was luvverly.

Spent most of today trying to get Bertha back into pristine condition. And also need new tyres, back one was showing a continuous black line down the middle when I got home. What sort of tyres should I get;-)

Did anyone record the GPS track? Would be a good one to put up on TAUT.

Cheers
Pete
Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 AM   #4553
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post

Did anyone record the GPS track? Would be a good one to put up on TAUT.
I only had my GPS on part of the time ...

I ran out of battery last week, and haven't yet got around to organising a hardwire solution - my tiny eTrex30 would run several days on one set of batteries - the big new Montana is not so frugal ...

But I could convert the route to a track and upload that if you like - we followed the planned route pretty much to the letter ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #4554
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
I logged the lot, but if you create a track from the route, its the same.

Thursday might be good for me for Coree too. Gotta be in the big smoke pm, so will have the day to kill before then.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #4555
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I logged the lot, but if you create a track from the route, its the same.

Thursday might be good for me for Coree too. Gotta be in the big smoke pm, so will have the day to kill before then.
All good.

I noticed last week that Rose Valley Perimeter Trail has been washed out in one of the creeks and a lot of unfriendly signs have appeared. Even Bridge Trail east has a locked gate on it now.

I ran out of time to check whether there's a problem getting in and out to Inaloy on Rose Valley Road now. Do you have any current info?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #4556
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Dunno about any signs gone up recently, but there is some single track below and around the wash out on the perimeter trail. The gate out onto Wards Rd is now normally locked due to the usual idiots doing their thing. I have a key though. The Dowling link trail is signed off and camered. Was chained too, but they disappeared. I have met the guy and have his contact details and permission to ride through and up Dowling subject to a couple of conditions, like letting him know.

Not sure where you mean when referring to Bridge Trail east, but if on the east side of Inalloy, yes its locked about 2-3 kms from Inalloy. Guy that owns the place got burgled. Oxyed the side of his container out and removed all his good stuff. I do have permission though, but the other end out to the top end of Inalloy is a problem too unless heading for Parkers Rd. I have cut some single track from near the locked gate that runs east and then picks up an old trail and runs south to 5 ways. This is a good fun section, I have taken, among others, Hoots through there. He was on his Berg at the time.

Private property access is discouraged to Rose Valley Rd, so the way out is via Chakola FT, or out to Peak View Rd via 5 ways and Log in the Hole.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #4557
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

The Wiz sent me this link he found, may be of interest:
http://www.motorcycleaccessoriesaust...s-hp4-mx-tyres

The flat rate $10 seems to apply for more than 1 tyre too.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #4558
Jdeks
Departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdonk View Post
the wiz sent me this link he found, may be of interest:
http://www.motorcycleaccessoriesaust...s-hp4-mx-tyres

the flat rate $10 seems to apply for more than 1 tyre too.

mine!!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #4559
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
mine!!
Blame 'silla if you don't like it!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #4560
Jdeks
Departed

I'm yet to hear anyone say anything bad about em.

If theyre better than the mx51's i've been using, ill be impressed.