Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #4981
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Geeze pete What was the advice from the Doc?
After seeing the program "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" I thought I'd give the alternate days fasting a try. I didn't do it for weight loss but because of the cell repair benefits so didn't check what I weighed to start but have probably lost 10-15 kilos and have never felt better.
Apparently people are now calling it the 5:2 diet where you only have to restrict your calories to 600 on two separate days a week.
I've stayed with the alternate days as I found it so easy and don't even bother strictly calculating calories, but 600 a day is not really fasting anyway.
Getting a younger dog and having to take him for long walks and bike rides would have helped too.
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #4982
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
On a bike related matter, I am adding an 08 wr 450 to the stable this weekend.
It's my 3rd wr but I hope the suspension doesnt need $1200 spent on it like the 690 did. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #4983
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Health and weather

I'm in the bandwagon too! After being diagnosed diabetic last Aug, I've changed to a low carb/sugar diet, lost 11kg (well on track for 10% weight loss in 12 months), mild meds to reduce BP to mid 120's from 140-150.

Again, family history, over 40, and overweight, I knew I had the barrel of diabetes pointed straight at me, hence the pre-diabetes testing I was doing every month. So I picked it up in a matter of weeks that things had started to change / get worse. I don't feel any better health wise, in fact I feel like I get tired quicker and more often (insulin lacks the ability to transfer glucose to the cells, that's what I think it must be?) Early and agressive treatment is the latest proposed trend in management, hence the large doses of Metformin, BP meds, diet and weight loss are keeping my blood sugar (BGL) at around 7-8mmol. (5-7 is "normal"). I was 21mmol the day it snuck up on me, thanks to a Hungry Jacks combo meal!

But from the more frequent testing I do now, I can honestly say when I do longer off-road rides, my BGL drops to under 7 and is in the "normal" band. I get off the bike after a day ride and I'm in the 6's. The exercise, food and water intake model when riding is definately good for my health! When I retire and spend more days riding, I should be even healther, right into my old age!

Now, the weather. Gaerne Adventure boots, 2 years old. "Waterpoof". Ummm,....No! And this was only 25 mins into work this morning. Think I might have a claim under the new Consumer Law as "Not fit for purpose described"??
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #4984
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
On a bike related matter, I am adding an 08 wr 450 to the stable this weekend.
It's my 3rd wr but I hope the suspension doesnt need $1200 spent on it like the 690 did. .

The alloy frame WR450s have cheap forks with a poppet valve and coil spring instead of a proper valve body and shim stack. They don't work very well. One of the few that NEED gold valves. And likely springs F&R. Once done, they work pretty good.

Shameless plug, Frank is coming down again to Numeralla at the end of May if you want anything done.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #4985
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Ill see how it is and how much I hate it, but I may take up that offer Steve.
Before considering it seriously I would need to know how much coin it would be roughly

Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #4986
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
Ill see how it is and how much I hate it, but I may take up that offer Steve.
Before considering it seriously I would need to know how much coin it would be roughly

Of course, call Frank and he'll explain. But ride first for sure.

If you know your geared up weight, or at least naked and add 10 kgs for gear, then he'll advise on springs. 02 4620 9020. Tell him it'll happen at Numeralla, its cheaper that way.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #4987
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

Tell him it'll happen at Numeralla, its cheaper that way.
And you get a complimentary egg and bacon sandwich ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #4988
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks fellas will do. Egg and bacon roll you say.. im there

Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #4989
PeterWebtrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
After seeing the program "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" I thought I'd give the alternate days fasting a try. I didn't do it for weight loss but because of the cell repair benefits so didn't check what I weighed to start but have probably lost 10-15 kilos and have never felt better.
Apparently people are now calling it the 5:2 diet where you only have to restrict your calories to 600 on two separate days a week.
I've stayed with the alternate days as I found it so easy and don't even bother strictly calculating calories, but 600 a day is not really fasting anyway.
Getting a younger dog and having to take him for long walks and bike rides would have helped too.
Dave, the GP doesn't know about it yet, he's off on another long holiday, and I went direct to emergency anyway. I'm using Dr Google as my consultant at the moment.

Ron, I may well get onto the FAST diet as well, as my wife has started it. I certainly don't need to lose any weight, but like the theory that it mimics how our bodies evolved to handle food surplus/shortages.

Cheers
Pete
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 AM   #4990
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Of course, call Frank and he'll explain. But ride first for sure.

If you know your geared up weight, or at least naked and add 10 kgs for gear, then he'll advise on springs. 02 4620 9020. Tell him it'll happen at Numeralla, its cheaper that way.
The bike has 5.7 teknik shock spring fitted, and in the box of goodies there is some fork springs. I will have a closer look for identifying marks tomorrow.
I think the 5.7 spring will be ok as I am 90kg without gear or near 100 with.
Tomorrow when a mate comes over I will check rider sag.
Very happy with the bike for what it cost me. The jetting needs sorting and I think I will get a JD kit, had one in my 05 wr 450 and it was great.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #4991
Oz Nutter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Cheap shocks XS650 $50

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wollo...ion/1043403896
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 AM   #4992
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post

Originally from MikesXS in Florida, $80+ new, plus about $60+ freight, UPS don't miss ya!!!
Good shocks, last well - 50-60K on both bikes, only just replaced the ones on '81SH, it's been over some rough roads with 200kg+ loads in the last 5-6 years, can't complain about price
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #4993
Oz Nutter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Originally from MikesXS in Florida, $80+ new, plus about $60+ freight, UPS don't miss ya!!!
Good shocks, last well - 50-60K on both bikes, only just replaced the ones on '81SH, it's been over some rough roads with 200kg+ loads in the last 5-6 years, can't complain about price
Cheers
Baza
didn't think you'd miss it, just in case...
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #4994
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,653
Kowen Forest Ride--- Postponed!
Well what a shit, got myself rostered off so I could attend / spectate, and the heavens open up!
http://www.dsmra.asn.au/
Just got off the DSMRA site & it's been postponed, well I might go for a ride this weekend, depending on the weather!!!!!!
or I might just hunker down in the workshop & get into a few unfinished projects, plenty to choose from!!!!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #4995
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Kowen Forest Ride--- Postponed!
Shame really, but unfortunately a decision had to be made. I did get 2 days riding in arrowing, and we are allowed to leave it all in place and TAMs will facilitate and fast track the new date. Stay tuned!