Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
brk771 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Rusty Jesse Rack

Hello everybody,

Today I noticed that the paint on my Jesse rack is starting to chip and under it is rust. This is under the gas tank and not anywhere that gets rubbed or scraped or abused.

Has anybody else experienced their Jesse rack rusting from the inside out? It's only been installed a year and while I definitely enjoy riding through mud puddles, it seems much too soon for it to be needing serious attention. I'm interested to hear if I'm the only one...

Thanks,
Brock

brk771 screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 06:06 PM Reason: broken picture link...
brk771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
It probably was chipped by a stone or two. Once the finish is penetrated to bare metal it has no choice but to corrode. The best fix would be to send it out for stripping/powder coating. Find one that does wrought iron handrails. They shoot black every day. It will be super cheap and more durable than anything you do at home. The only part that rusted on my Jesse racks was the area on the crossbar that gets cooked by the exhaust. I live near the ocean but no rocks.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Pangit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Almost all my rack parts are rusty. They were delivered like that with the rust covered with paint. Now the paint has blistered and fallen off. I treated the areas with corrosion inhibitor. Soon I will have them blasted and powder coated. Disappointing but not the end of the world as the panniers are great.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,066
Love the jesse bags, loathe the jesse racks. yep, mine have rust all over them, and have never been quite square (fit wise) since I've owned them.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,518
I'm removing a set of Jesse cases and racks from a bike I bought. I was surprised to see they are SAE throughout instead of metric. I can't understand why USA manufacturers that make accessories for metric bikes use SAE hardware. TechMount does the same thing.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote