Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #106
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Thanks for this post! About to begin the valve adjustment procedure, but need shims first. So which ones do I buy? Should I just ask the dealer to send me a couple different ones? With gas at $5.00+ here in L.A., making a trip to the dealer costs about $15. Thanks.
You'll have no way of knowing what you need (if any) until you get into the job. The shim sizes are all different from the factory, not just bike to bike but valve to valve.

When you're in there this time, even if your clearances are in spec, you can pop the shim out and record it's location and size before putting it back in. Keep that record and when it's time for the next check/adjust you can grab shims that are a smaller size (valves usually tighten) prior to tearing the bike apart. Obviously hang on to any shims you take as you maybe able to use them in a different location next time or help a buddy out.

In the past my dealer didn't have shims in stock so it was a 3-5day wait to get them. Now (apparently) the 1200gs uses the same style shims so hopefully dealers will have more on hand.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #107
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
... In the past my dealer didn't have shims in stock so it was a 3-5day wait to get them. Now (apparently) the 1200gs uses the same style shims so hopefully dealers will have more on hand.
Boy... that's kinda weird.... I hope the service department has it's own private stock eh?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #108
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Boy... that's kinda weird.... I hope the service department has it's own private stock eh?
Yeah the service dept has their own stock that's not available to the public. I've gone in for fork seals, wheels seals, bearings etc and I know they have them in the back for service but they won't sell them over the counter. I understand why they do it but it's annoying.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #109
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
Oso, what's worse is when the local dealer (either them or ride 400kms the choice is yours) doesn't have an air filter or an oil filter in stock. So you ask them what would happen if you brought the bike into the shop for service and they tell you an oil change would take 3 to 5 days.
Skinflint dealers with an inventory close to the bone. Same for the cars.

"You own a BMW and you expect good service? How audacious of you! You can afford to wait. You are well heeled and live a life of leisurely pursuits! You are a wealthy playboy in search of hedonistic pursuits!..."What?" "You actually use your BMW motorcycle for daily transportation"? Well, that just won't do, you are simply an exception to the rule".

That seems to be the attitude at some dealers.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #110
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
... You are a wealthy playboy in search of hedonistic pursuits!...
Where can I sign up????
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #111
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

easiest/best feeler gauges to use?

In one place I saw that long feeler gauges (6" or longer) were recommended due to access issues...

In another place I saw angled feeler gauges recommended ....

Which is the way to go?
I've only got a set of 3" gauges now, so I'll be buying something ....
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #112
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
I usually just buy cheapo ones and bend them, cut them lengthwise or whatever seems like it will work best for a given application.

It's been a while since I checked mine but I think I used some I had kicking around with about a 60 degree bend in the last half inch of the feeler.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #113
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks .... a place here in town has a set that are 12" long ....
I'll cut them in half and make two sets
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #114
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

So is this the gasket sealer of choice?

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...t-maker-detail

I notice it's actually listed as a gasket MAKER not a gasket sealant but ...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #115
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Thanks for this post! About to begin the valve adjustment procedure, but need shims first. So which ones do I buy? Should I just ask the dealer to send me a couple different ones? With gas at $5.00+ here in L.A., making a trip to the dealer costs about $15. Thanks.
With the new specs, all of my valves were out of clearance. I could swap a couple of mine to other valves but I still ended up needing three 4.80mm and 4.85mm shims. My local (90 miles away) dealer didn't have them so I had to order them. A & S cycles up in Sacramento got them to me in about a week. I replaced all of the gaskets and o-rings while I was in there. I ended up costing me about $150 for everything.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #116
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

CaliKarl:

In my experience on other vehicles, there is no way to tell what size shims you will need until the measurements & tear-down is complete.

If you have done it before on your bike and have the sizes of all the installed shims written down you might be able to take an educated guess but IMHO chances are slim that it would work out ........
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #117
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I thought a set of offset (angled) feeler gauges would be nice for this job...
Lots of the sets start with the thinnest blade being too thick for motorcycle applications...
I think this one should work well if anybody else is in the market ... if you can stand the $6.50 price...

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEPDJU/
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #118
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Flip-Flop

I'm holding in my hand a hardcopy of a RSD document released to dealers on 02/19/13 that states that the "revised" valve clearance is being RE-revised back to the original values, but that the the larger specifications do not have any technical disadvantages and do NOT have to be reduced to the valid (old/original) values.

Reading the document it appears they the lash was INCREASED so as to be "standardized" with the Husky 900 engine, but as a result of complaints of increased noise level they are now going back to the initial settings....
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #119
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I'm holding in my hand a hardcopy of a RSD document released to dealers on 02/19/13 that states that the "revised" valve clearance is being RE-revised back to the original values, but that the the larger specifications do not have any technical disadvantages and do NOT have to be reduced to the valid (old/original) values.

Reading the document it appears they the lash was INCREASED so as to be "standardized" with the Husky 900 engine, but as a result of complaints of increased noise level they are now going back to the initial settings....
Ha ha ha ha ha..... Imagine that......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #120
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Thanks for passing on that information. Does kind of make sense.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote