Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,834
WR250R - What Pipe, Header, EFI Programmer Mods are Best Bang for Buck?

I've put just over 7K miles on my 2010 WR-R since buying it new in February and have been very pleased with it.

It's set up for dual sport riding (sometimes camping) within a few hundred miles of home when I think there could be single track involved (950SE for longer trips).

I've added the usual mods for a DS bike - rear rack, tail bag, tank bag, skid plate, etc. - and invested in suspension mods that nicely dialed in the bike for me, but engine performance-wise the bike it still bone stock.

Now that I'm sure I want to keep this bike a while I'm looking into adding a pipe, header and EFI programmer to add a bit more performance to what seems to me an already strong DS 250.

But looking at the available upgrades I'm seeing a wide variety and price range for these mods, so was hoping to get some advice from other inmates who've traveled this road ahead of me now that the bike's been out for nearly 3 years.

With a quick look around online gear shops I found half a dozen slip-on pipes, a couple of FMF headers (PowerBomb and MegaBomb) and at least three aftermarket programmers.

I guess since I have no yardstick to measure against, the bike in stock form seems to me pretty good for a 250 DS. But if a few hundred bucks can make it into a great two-fiddy DS, that'd be worth it to me.

I like the fact that it's not obnoxiously loud so whatever exhaust system mods I add need to keep the decibel levels as hushed as possible.

Any sage advice from those who've made these upgrades will be greatly appreciated.

Recent photo of my bike:
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
I've put just over 7K miles on my 2010 WR-R since buying it new in February and have been very pleased with it.

It's set up for dual sport riding (sometimes camping) within a few hundred miles of home when I think there could be single track involved (950SE for longer trips).

I've added the usual mods for a DS bike - rear rack, tail bag, tank bag, skid plate, etc. - and invested in suspension mods that nicely dialed in the bike for me, but engine performance-wise the bike it still bone stock.

Now that I'm sure I want to keep this bike a while I'm looking into adding a pipe, header and EFI programmer to add a bit more performance to what seems to me an already strong DS 250.

But looking at the available upgrades I'm seeing a wide variety and price range for these mods, so was hoping to get some advice from other inmates who've traveled this road ahead of me now that the bike's been out for nearly 3 years.

With a quick look around online gear shops I found half a dozen slip-on pipes, a couple of FMF headers (PowerBomb and MegaBomb) and at least three aftermarket programmers.

I guess since I have no yardstick to measure against, the bike in stock form seems to me pretty good for a 250 DS. But if a few hundred bucks can make it into a great two-fiddy DS, that'd be worth it to me.

I like the fact that it's not obnoxiously loud so whatever exhaust system mods I add need to keep the decibel levels as hushed as possible.

Any sage advice from those who've made these upgrades will be greatly appreciated.

Recent photo of my bike:
I don't know much about the WRR, but I do know that's a beautiful bike! (why oh why don't they make a 450 version )

There's a video floating around of a guy absolutely ripping it up on a WRR....hard to believe it's a 250, it's definitely modded. See if you can find it and good luck!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
...a downside, the intake noise is a lot louder. and it's not exactly a "good" sound!
So... what does it sound like?
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,591
Remember, as you open up the intake and exhaust, you're going to lean the mixture significantly, possibly to the point of damaging the bike.

EDIT:

So, I guess I should say...

Your choice:

Open airbox and exhuast and add a programmer

or

Live with stock.

The actual brands/models of programmers/exhausts aren't going to be that noticeable.

emerson.biguns screwed with this post 09-26-2010 at 05:24 PM
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
If you'd like to help me pay for the heated gear I just bought, PM me. I'd actually like to go back to stock for the mpg's and particularly the quietness. I've got an FMF Q4 and PP, both with about 5000 miles on them, though the Q4 does have a dent in the end cap thanks to meeting a tree head on while riding.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 245
Thumb

Stock headpipe, Yosh slip on and a PowerCommander V.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
How do you like the Yoshi for sound and power change? Is it a repackable muffler of baffles?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS

Recent photo of my bike:
GSBS,

I haven't tried all the variations. I went with pretty much what HighFive used since he spent the dinero on dyno testing and gave numbers for his efi controller.

My setup was almost identical to his 2nd set of dyno testing:

FMF megabomb head pipe instead of the power bomb. Probably little to no difference there.

FMF Q4 muffler.

FMF programmer set to HF's settings. Works great for me even at 7150 feet elevation.

Flapper and Exup removed, of course. HF ultimate airbox mod.

Different gearing.

Big differences overall.

Would other pipes do the same or more for less bucks? I have no way of knowing. Just like the above setup a lot.

Hope ya' find what you're looking for...

BigFeet
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote