User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Three Riders near Three Sisters Mountains

Frank, Larry and I met up for breakfast about 8am yesterday and headed out over the Cascade Mountains, about 100 miles on hwy 20 to the town of Sisters. We gassed up and headed south up the steep windy paved road to Three Creeks lake.

The day was getting hot, so we stopped several times to shed more clothes and get drinks. The dirt road started out pretty rough with lots of baseball sized rocks and loose sand.

About that time, I noticed my right leg had oil sprayed around my ankle, coming from a leak on the right side of the DR650 2006 engine. Checked the fasteners for tightness and all were good. Kept going but watched for more problems and checked the oil level each stop we made. The oil cooler at the bottom pipe connection seemed the culprit, but no obvious cracks. Any thoughts from the experts?

We met a middle aged couple along this dirt road, riding a Yamaha 250 dual-sport and a DRZ400, so talked to them a little while. They were out for a ride from their nearby camp site.

We pressed on and came to Tumalo creek. To our surprise, it was only a foot deep and pretty narrow from the low water level. It had rained hard a few days before, and we'd expected a deep water crossing.

We started seeing joggers with numbers pinned on, so we had gotten into a x-country foot race of some sort. We were nice riders and slowed down when passing them. Didn't want to run over them or raise a cloud of dust.

Stopped at the top of the hill above Tumalo Creek and was taking a video of Frank and Larry riding up the hill, when a jogger passed going down the hill.

Here's a picture of the water crossing at Tumalo Creek.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=3d8dcb2743

We got into a traffic jam on the dirt road near where the foot race started (single lane road and cars from both directions stopped and no one wanted to back up). We just rode down the ditch and passed the five or six cars. They gave us WTF looks... but no paint was scratched.

We came to Cascade Lakes Highway and went back down the hill to Bend and Sisters to stop for more fuel and an ice cream cone. Thanks Larry.

Just as we were getting into my town, the new rear tire went flat and I was all over the road. Got it safely stopped and we talked over a plan. It was a hot sunny day and no shade in the parking area, so decided Frank would watch my DR650 and Larry hauled me on his F650 BMW to my house to retrieve the F250 truck, plank and tie downs so I could haul the bike 3 miles to my house and fix the tire another day.

It was a great ride and enjoyed the 18 miles of sand/dirt road that crossed between Sisters and Mt Bachelor over the top of a big ridge. We had nice views of several snow capped mountains, as this road passes along the edge of Three Sisters wilderness area.

We saw several joggers stopping to dump the sand from their shoes, but my Shinko 244 knobbies worked great.

later

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 07:04 AM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

More water crossing on F650

Here's a picture of Larry as he came out of Tumalo Creek in central Oregon. He's got that "Huh, what's the big deal" expression.

This dirt road is only about 18 miles long, but loads of fun. The guys want to do it again before the snow flies. The pass is about 7000 ft elevation.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
fbritt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Three Creeks

Yes, we need to do it again. It would be a great camping place too. Maybe an early fall camping trip. We'll see. Hunting season is upon us too! Always something. It is extremely pretty up there. I do love the condition of the road too. Lots of fun to ride the dirt, rocks and sand. A little bit of mud too but we really lucked out with the weather. It was nice.

Thanks -
fbritt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

More riding Sunday?

Frank and Larry seemed to enjoy the Sisters dirt ride a lot. That needs to be done again soon, but there wasn't so many people enjoying my favorite spots in years past. It was nearly a 300 mile day trip, with 18 miles of dirt/sand. It sure was a great spot for pictures and camping.

Next time we can take more time and stay overnight.

Here's a picture of Mt Bachelor to the SW from our high ridge view.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Hello from a little north smilin jack . Are we lucky SOBs or what , living in the northwet . Even day trips can be a good time . Just a little helmet time and some mountain air sure keeps me going anyway . I am just getting back to riding back roads on my wee strom . If the old body holds up , hope to do many a short trip into the high country . And if all goes right ( could happen) , Prudoe Bay next summer . Hope to squeeze in a few more rides into and over the Cascades before snow starts piling up .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

Riding in PCNWet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z
Hello from a little north smilin jack . Are we lucky SOBs or what , living in the northwet . Even day trips can be a good time . Just a little helmet time and some mountain air sure keeps me going anyway . I am just getting back to riding back roads on my wee strom . If the old body holds up , hope to do many a short trip into the high country . And if all goes right ( could happen) , Prudoe Bay next summer . Hope to squeeze in a few more rides into and over the Cascades before snow starts piling up .
Indeed, we live in a great area. Check out the 2011 Hells Canyon Gathering in the PNWet area. Mark your calendar and plan on joining us. There are other Washington people attending also.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622989

I went last year and had a blast. Hope you attend too.

Here's a picture of the dirt road down to the Snake River. We saw lots of wildlife, including these wild sheep.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I'll keep it in mind . But if my dreams come true I will be leaving for Prudoe Bay around the 25th of June ! If that falls through would sure consider it .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

Alaska would be best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z
I'll keep it in mind . But if my dreams come true I will be leaving for Prudoe Bay around the 25th of June ! If that falls through would sure consider it .
Sure, head for Alaska if the chance comes your way. It is at the top of my list and been there many times by auto and plane.
Almost rode the 150cc twin Suzuki there in high school, but not quite all the way. My brother and I headed out from Oregon and spent two months riding and turned back before making Alaska. It was a great ride and tent camping. We did spend one night in a motel. Not a bad trip for a 16 and 17 year old pair of brothers on two little bikes. That was about 1965.

Dave