Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, Deals Gap, Barber Museum and the Natchez Trace

Warning - lots of pics below!!!

This would be my first ride report. My first bike trip longer than a few days and my first solo bike trip ever. My first time camping and also my first time riding in the US.

My Plan: is to ride from Toronto, Ontario to Birmingham, Alabama (and back) from October 6th to around October 16th. On the weekend of Oct. 8-10, there is a vintage bike festival going on at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. I plan on camping as much as possible in the national/state parks along the way.

My Route: involves heading down along US 219 south to Deals Gap, then scoot over to the museum taking back roads for most of the trip while in the US. I only have a few days to get to the festival since my last day of work is October 5th and the festival starts on the 8th. I plan to leave first thing the morning of October 6th...

Coming back, I plan to ride west to Tupelo, Mississippi, then head north up the Natchez Trace to Nashville area, then pass back through Deals Gap area. Then, I want to ride the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive, before passing through Allegheny National Park, Susquehannock State Park and coming home.

My Bike: is a 2006 DL650 V-Strom. I'll be putting fresh Metzler Tourances (non-EXP) on before I go and also changing the oil, brake pads and more. The bike used to have ammo cans on Givi racks, but for this trip, I just picked up a used pair of Givi E41 cases for cheap and now have WAY more space. I have a topbox that is something of an aviation transport container... I also will use my Motopak GT 35 tank bag with the top part of the bag staying at home. The steering head bearings need to be replaced, but hopefully they will be okay for the trip.

My Gear: includes a few pairs of heated gloves, an Olympia AST jacket, my Alpinestars Dry-Star pants, Web Gortex waterproof boots. It's all great gear to about -10degC (14degF) and completely waterproof. I wear a Shoei-RF1100 helmet.

My Camping Stuff: I just picked up a 55L dry sack which holds my Eureka El Capitan Tent, my Eureka Puffin 400 sleeping bag and my Thermarest Prolite Plus air mattress. I plan on doing a lot more camping next season with my girlfriend, so many of the things I bought were with her in mind. I plan on using a MSR Dragonfly stove for most of my cooking needs.

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 07:08 AM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
The Route

Route Day 1 - October 6th - 867 km
Camping in Monongahela National Park (Day Run Campground) - close to Marlinton (US219)

Route Day 2 - October 7th - 448miles (720km)
Camping with some other riders heading down from Toronto in Deals Gap at some house they rented.

Route Day 3 October 8th - 316 miles (508km) Deals Gap to Barber Museum

Day 4 October 9th - Barber Museum - day to relax

Route Day 5 - October 10th - 248miles (399km)
Camping along Natchez Parkway at Meriwether Lewis Monument for free (

Route Day 6 - October 11th - 429 miles (690km) via I40, Cherohala Skyway, Deals Gap and Foothills Parkway
Camping at Cherokee, North Carolina (River Valley Campground)

Route Day 7 - October 12th - 253 miles (407km)
Camping at Willville Bike Camp (Near Meadows of Dan along Blue Ridge Parkway @ Milepost 183 south of Mabry's Mill)

Route Day 8 - October 13th - 225 Miles (362km) BRP to Skyline Drive
Camping at Lewis Mountain Campground (along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah Park)

Route Day 9 - October 14th - 376 miles (605km)
Camping in Allegheny National Park (Hearts Content Recreation Area)

Route Day 10 - October 15th - 352 miles (566km)
Allegheny National Park to Toronto via Susquehannock State Forest

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 12:33 PM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
The only way to describe the trip was WOW. 6000km over 10 states in 10 days. Information and experience overload!

Awesome roads, scenery and people met along the way. The southern hospitality and friendliness was simply more than I could have imagined and this trip far exceeded my expectations.

Day 1
I left Toronto around 6am and headed to the border crossing at Fort Erie. The weather report was calling for rain, but temperatures not too cold. I crossed the border and proceeded to get lost in Buffalo trying to find the 219. I get lost a lot using paper maps or GPS. I've got it down to a science. Once I finally found the 219, I headed south and was awestruck by the beauty of the conifers of the Allegheny Forest while the deciduous trees were in full colour change.... I was still on mostly interstate and shortly making my way to the two lane highway that would snake it's way through the Monongahela Forest. But the temperatures started to drop and the rain was picking up. By around 3pm I had reached a small town called Oakland, Maryland and the temperatures were around 38f and it was raining hard and getting increasingly foggy out. I saw a small sheriffs office and asked them if I should continue on through to Monongahela forest and he advised against it as the elevations increase and the roads become twisty and wildlife more frequent at dusk. Good advice, considering that I just discovered that my left boot had a few small cracks in it and was no longer waterproof and my left foot was pretty much frozen. I passed a bunch of small motels in this town and they were all full. The last one I came to was called Oak Mar motel. It was $60/night and they only had a smoking room available that had parking in front. I don't smoke and I took it and sure enough, it stunk like a fresh ashtray, but the room was clean otherwise and I was able to park the bike right outside the room...

Day 2
I woke up early and was packed and ready to go by around 7am. Outside, the rain had stopped and the temperatures at this time were already higher than it was at 3pm the day before. I headed off and the roads were dry and my foot was no longer cold. My girlfriend had been smart enough to think that I might need some of those toe warmers and they worked awesome for the morning ride. Thanks babe<+> I was hoping that during my travels, I could try and find some heated socks or new waterproof boots...

Monongehala National Forest was really beautiful. Nice elevation changes, beautiful scenery and really nice roads. I was glad I didn't try and ride this last night because then I would have really missed out on the beauty of it all because of the rain and fog.

I moved quickly through the forest and stopped to take very few pictures, because I was already 2 hours off schedule from the 1st nights weather setback. I needed to make it down to Deals Gap area before nightfall, so I didn't have to make camp during the dark. On the way to the dragon I rode US28 past Fontana Dam and was pretty impressed with this road. It was also here I discovered that my steering head bearings were worse than I thought and every time I would quickly try to slow down for a tight turn, my handle bars would shake a whole lot. I knew beforehand that they were a little shot, because the bars would shake and wobble a whole lot if I took my hands off them during a straight line, but I had hoped I could attend to that after the trip and didn't expect them to be this bad.

I decided to stop at Fontana Dam to take a picture and just as I was about to stop the bike to get off, I dropped it on it's right side. I quickly picked the bike up and realized that the kickstand wasn't down. so I thought it best to get on the bike and then put the kickstand down while sitting on it, but it didn't work out so nicely and I dropped it on the left side. Glad I have the new Givi bags which don't look so new anymore. I left the Dam and rode down the dragon only to be reminded of how shot my steering bearings were every time I took a slow turn. It didn't help that my bike is pushing close to 600lbs + my weight. The steering was okay for faster sweepers, but not for the tighter, technical stuff.

I made it to the house some other riders from Toronto had rented and it was a sweet place. Thanks Scott for allowing me to crash there. It was really great to meet you and the the other guys. I think I lost my 'new to me' headlamp there. The place is called Two Sisters Chalet and the owner Bridgette was a really nice lady. Super friendly and very hospitable. We talked at great length about a trip my girlfriend and I had done into the Amazon jungle last summer. There is enough camping here for a number of tents and it has a small river that runs beside it with lots of room for parking (sheltered and open). You can rent it by the group or just as a couple... stay in the house (which can sleep about 10-14 people) or camp on the lawn by the river...The location was simply awesome. I highly recommend this place and well worth it!
Bridgette and her super cute dog. The house was very bright and spacious inside and behind me was a small river that leads to a waterfall on the grounds. There was also a hot tub!

The folks from Toronto came in around 12:30 and unloaded their bikes. They were staying the whole weekend in Deals area and we stayed up and talked for a few hours. Good people and thanks again for letting me camp on the lawn:)

Day 3
I was packed and ready to go around 8am for Barber Museum. Shortly before I left, one of the guys staying at the house, Claudio, with whom I have gone riding with before, woke up and said he wanted to at least go on one ride with me this season. Two other guys woke up and then 4 of us went on an early morning dragon run. Thanks guys - it was nice to ride with you and meet both Mladen and Corey. For me iot was tough to navigate the more technical roads, so I would like to go back one day with my bike all sorted out and without all the extra gear, because those technical roads in the area are really fun.

We went our separate ways at the Deals Gap Inn and I headed down to the Cherohala Skyway. WOW! What an awesome road. The best I have ever been on. The combination of fast sweepers, with great pavement and absolutely incredible scenery was unparalleled. I knew that I would have to ride on this one again. After that, I took #68 south from Tellico Plains - which also a nice road. As many others have told me before, the roads down this area, are of much higher quality than those in Ontario. As the day went on, the temperatures picked up. By the time I reached Barber Museum, it felt around 90deg out.

For those who have never been, I highly suggest going for a visit to Barber Museum. The grounds were really nice and the camping area I had been allotted to was just perfect. At first, when I bought my tickets, I was concerned that my camping area was going to be too far away from everything else, or that I would be in the one spot beside the port-o-potties, but no, I got the last spot beside the lake, with an incredible view of the water and this nice 907 Ducati beside me.

Turns out, that the Ducati was owned by a nice guy named Ron, who I ended up spending the entire weekend with. He knew much more about bikes than I ever will, and it was a treat to be able to hear about the history of so many incredible bikes from someone who was so passionate about it all. We decided to head over to town to get some dinner and he took me on some really nice back road route. I thought we headed into Deliverance country for a moment and was sure I could hear banjo's playing in the background, but then we got back to main road... After dinner, I decided to leave Friday night as a rest night so that Saturday I could wake early and take it all in. Ron and I talked for a bit and then we hit the sack. We both thought that there was going to be just too much to do, and wanted to be up at the break of dawn.

Day 4
I woke up and found out there were showers on site, and washrooms nearby. After that stuff, Ron and I thought it was best to save the Museum for the hottest part of the day when we would want to be near the air conditioning. It was expected to get at or above 90degrees again today. We walked around the swap meet area, and looked at all the people selling their restored bikes, parts bikes or just parts.
Ron beside one badass Kawi.

Now was the time for the Race of the Century. There are at least two tracks on the Barber grounds, one of which is a paved track, and the other is a dirt course for motocross. This particular race was to be a race of bikes of at least 100 years old on the paved track. What a race it was! One lone rider riding a 1908 Peugeot something or other. Apparently the other bikes were recently in some sort of cross country race or something and the riders or their bikes were tired. Needless to say, the Peugeot won without having to drag a knee.

We also got to see the parade laps, where common folk attending the weekends festivities could pay $20 to ride their bikes on the Barber track. I paid and was supposed to be riding on the Sunday. It was cool to see all the people out on the track having a blast riding their various street bikes and old school bikes for fun. Some guy had a BMW with some sort of bicycle carrier on the back and was being chased down by this big brown spider that came out of nowhere.

Then we headed over to the bike competition area and voted on our favourite bikes. They had about 10 different categories, one for each decade and then a best in show and most unique in show. Here were some really great looking bikes.
We headed over to the vendor area and there was a Powerlet booth and lo and behold they had heated socks. I bought a pair, and also a heated jacket liner (with sleeves) for the ride home. I already had heated gloves and a dual controller so that was a big score.

We then walked through the pit area where all the various race bikes were and that was also a really cool experience. There were so many cafe racers it was just mind blowing. I saw the sidecar hack's for the first time and those looked dangerous. Apparently someone fell off that day during one of the races or something....
Look at this rear tire?

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 07:09 AM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
It was getting hot out so we headed into the museum, but by now my camera battery had died. The good folks at the museum were kind enough to charge the battery for me while I walked around inside. Once inside the museum, I took one look around and it was another WOW moment. All the bikes, cars and stuff all glistening in their glory. We walked around and looked at every bike and car. Ron was a fountain of knowledge with respects to the history of these machines and also knew a lot about the specs of each bike.
After we did the bottom two floors, I checked up at the front desk and my battery had been charging for over an hour, so I just put it back in and started shooting away.

One of my all time favourite bikes.

I thought it was cool that you could see the track from inside the museum. It was my first time at a track and was really interesting.

This is a solar powered car that the Auburn university engineering dept had designed for a 2500mile cross country run...

This place is huge.

This was a back room where they had more bikes that weren't even out for display... just extras and there was another 400+ bikes in addition to this room. There are so many bikes in the collection, that they have to rotate them... Very cool.

Nothin like the family Indy car - seats 4....

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 01:39 PM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
More Barber Museum pictures:

This contraption on top of the elevator door frame actually moved and the legs pedaled the bike and the wheels turned and so on... It was pretty neat.

I had an '86 VFR 750 and it will alawys be one of my favourite bikes. They were so nicely styled.

Army bikes. I've never been a Harley fan, but since coming to the museum I realize that Harley has made same really nice bikes throughout their history.

How would we function without our folding bike? Ride to your destination and the turn it into a chair and sit on it.....

I really liked the artwork throughout the grounds. I managed to buy a t-shirt from the gift shop that has a really nice image of this sculpture on the back of the shirt.

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 01:40 PM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
Once we got back to the campsite, there was a nice guy named Ray and his father-in-law Bill who had stopped by earlier to ask about my V-Strom. Bill had a GSA and like many other BMW owners, was realizing he should have bought the V-Strom for it's trouble-free ownership. I let him sit on my bike and answered his many questions about the bike and how comfortable it was compared to his BMW. He told me that there was some flat track racing going on later that night in a small town called Gadsden, about 60 minutes north of the Museum. He was going and asked if I would like to attend. I said I was interested as I've never seen it before but have seen pictures of these guys sliding around the track with their foot out helping them navigate the turn. And off we went around 7pm. Turns out he used to race for a number of years and once again, I was lucky enough to be with someone who knew an immense amount of what we were looking at. It was my first time being at a track (besides the Barber track). We got seriously lost coming home, because I was the co-pilot and we didn't get back until about 11:30.

Yes the guy in the yellow jersey races with a modified bike, because he only has one arm. The guy in the skeleton jersey was some popular racer who was a pro and was the highlight of the night for many. They let the kids and fans come down and talk to the racers which was pretty nice.

This was all at the Greenway Speedway in Gadsden, Alabama and cost only $12. I got some of the most salty, greasy fries I have ever eaten right here... It was a little empty in there, which was a shame, because they should have promoted it more strongly at Barber's and more people would have probably come up for it. For those that don't know, the track is a clay track and when you step on it, your shoes get all mucky, but apparently this was a harder track unlike some others which can steal your shoes.

This guy was something like 75. They had a seniors class where you had to be something like over 50 years old and these guys all did well and were fun to watch...

The next day I rode from the museum and headed west to Tupelo, Mississippi. From there I rode up the Natchez Trace which is a historic parkway that ends up at Nashville, Tennessee. Some folks here and elsewhere had mentioned to take a ride on it, and it was nice. It was high on the rolling hills and gentle sweepers, but low on the technical side. Great road for a Sunday cruise and it gets slightly more interesting (technical) as you get closer to Nashville. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you had to travel a distance to get to it, but if it's not too far out of the way, it's a nice with some beautiful scenery. I slept at the Meriwether Lewis Monument campground which was free and quite beautiful. Here I ran into this fellow named Russell who had been riding his bicycle all across North America since 1991. Yes, his bicycle since 1991 and said he averages about 50-70 miles a day... he had a brand new tent, but preferred to sleep on the picnic table instead. Super nice guy with many stories to share about eating snakes and scorpions. He makes his money by selling military issue anything from first aid kits to serious knives.

I also met a really nice couple here named Roger and Susan who fed me (and Russell) campfire roasted pizza for dinner and then gave us sandwiches and fruit in the morning with tea and hot chocolate. They had lived off their BMW bikes for 6 months and were experimenting with retirement through RV'ing. They were looking now getting back into bikes after missing it, so they had many questions for me about the V-Strom. Needless to say, it was just another couple I met who were thinking about buying a V-Strom after BMW ownership.
Roger, Susan and Russell after Roger and Susan made us breakfast to start the day right.

Then I made my way back to North Carolina to camp for the night. Riding on the Cherohala Skyway again and the Foothills Parkway for the 1st time, I had lost considerable time taking in the many great scenic overlooks and nice photo opportunities.

I was going to stay at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, but all the time spent taking photo's caused me to be about 2 hours late. My route passed me through Cherokee, North Carolina and since it was already dark, I decided to find a place to sleep. I checked out a place called River Valley Campground right in Cherokee on reserve land. I was greeted by a really friendly 75 yr old man named Dennis. He told me the rate was for $29.70 to camp by the river. Considering that last night I camped for free, I asked if there was anything cheaper. He told me that there was camping away from the river for a dollar less, so I said give me a river spot. So although it was pretty expensive, it turned out that each site also had a water and electricity hook-up. This was great because I was able to charge all my batteries and phone and camera. They also had hot, clean showers and laundry facilities. When I pitched my tent, it was dark out, so I couldn't see the river but I could hear it. When I woke up in the morning it was much different than I had experienced it in the dark.

Dennis from River Valley Campground was a really great guy and kept wishing me a safe journey every time he saw me.

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 07:26 AM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
After saying my goodbye's to Dennis, I had to make my way over to the Blue Ridge. In hindsight, it was a great thing to have missed staying at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, because if I did, I would have had to back track to get to the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway, while the River Valley Campground was only 2 minutes away. So it was a bit expensive, but well worth it in the end. Now I was wearing my heated socks and jacket liner which were doing a great job of keeping me toasty warm during the cool mornings at higher elevation.
Once I was on the parkway, I stopped at the Visitor Center near Asheville, North Carolina and was glad I did. They had great souvenirs and I bought some great stuff for myself and family.

The ride up the Parkway was breathtaking. As I had been told, the better technical part of the parkway was from the southern tip up to about the Boone, NC area. The first 100 miles was simply awesome, with very little traffic and beautiful views and road quality. All in all, the traffic on the Blue Ridge was next to none and the weather was perfect. Traffic was moving quite quick on the parkway all day.

My original plan was to stay at Doughton Campground near Sparta, Virginia, but based on advice from here, I decided to head up to Meadows of Dan area to stay at Willville Bike Camp. I passed by Doughton Campground to check it out and it was a nice quiet place. There was only one other person camping there and lot's of sites. They had some really sweet looking camping pads, under some massive rhododendrons. In this pic, the tent pad is just past my bike under the big rhodo. Along some parts of the Blue Ridge, they have massive rhodo hedges - about 15-20 feet tall that must be absolutely incredible during a spring ride through there in June when they are in full bloom...

I got a bit lost just a few minutes from Willville Bike Camp. The clouds were starting to get really dark and I could just feel the rain about to throw down a fury. I finally found the place, and just as I pulled in, the rains started coming down and I just quickly pulled my bike into a covered area. After waiting about 5 minutes or so in the downpour, some guy pulls up on a V-Strom and turns out it's Will and he's completely soaked. I was in his parking spot and he was getting wet, but he was totally cool with it and just left his bike outside while I kept mine under the shelter for the time being.
He has a great place and he is a really nice and welcoming guy. Later that night he had a friend Mike who came over and we just sat and talked in Will's living room for a few hours about the bikes and stuff. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a good, inexpensive but well serviced place to stay along the Blue Ridge. $15 for the night and gas and food is just around the corner. He has many campsites with clean, hot showers, a breakfast area with microwaves / hot coffee available and he also has one ride-in chalet with covered bike parking.

Because it was raining so hard, he offered for me to pitch my tent in a large covered area he had that was actually a gathering place and also a memorial to a friend of his that passed away a few years ago. After a short while, two more riders come in and they are also soaked. They rode around the grounds looking for a place to camp and I asked them to stay under the shelter area with me since it's big enough for all three tents. Turns out they are some really great guys and we end up riding the rest of the BRP together. Steve on the left is a former heavy truck mechanic for 25 years turned pastor and Dale on the right is a retired high school chemistry and biology teacher. I studied adult education and Human Resources at university, so we talked about edumacating and stuff. They have been doing bike trips together for 21 years and were good fun to ride with. I think Steve (who is a Harley rider) was secretly stealing glances over at my V-Strom and thinking about making the plunge.

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 02:00 PM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
Dale and Steve split ways with me at the top of the BRP. From here I was to go north along the Skyline Drive and camp at Lewis Mountain Campground. I was told by many that Skyline drive was scenic, but terribly slow. Although the speed limit is 35mph, traffic was light and moving quick. This road was far more technical and scenic than the top half of the BRP, and it was nice to push the bike along this road, especially after paying $10 entry fee into the park. Once I reached the campground. I was debating on pushing ahead and camping further along Skyline Drive since it was only 5pm. I decided to stay and was glad I did as I met another really nice couple named Scott and Jan from Cincinnati who were bicycle camping (tandem) along the length of the BRP and Skyline Drive over the course of about one month. They were also interested in travelling by motorcycle after this trip was done and were interested in the V-Strom and other dual-sports as the bikes to do it... We talked for some time about travelling by bike (both kinds). They were a really great couple to talk with, but I left before I remembered to take their picture.

When I woke the next morning I was greeted with fog and rain. Actually it rained all night and was very heavy at times. I wasn't sure I wanted to ride in the heavy fog as at times I could only see about 15 feet in front of me. But since going for a hike was out of the question in the rain and fog, I decided to head off to Allegheny National Forest near Warren, Pennsylvania, which was around 400 miles away. I had to wait for the rain to calm a bit before I could pack up my gear and this is what my campsite looked like around 10am just as I left.

Sometimes while I was riding north, the fog would clear and then it would come back around the next bend with a fury.

I made my way through Virginia, Maryland and into Pennsylvania. I have heard a number of great things about the roads in Penn and was looking forward to it. I was also looking forward to staying at this next campground called Hearts Content Campground in Allegheny National Forest, because it is home to some older growth trees (300-400yrs old). I arrived at the site just before dark and it was deserted. I was the only one there and it was $10. I pitched my tent, ate my dinner and went to bed. It rained all night and all morning. There was a short break in the rain for about 30 minutes and I rushed to pack up my gear and make my way out. Just as I had about 5 minutes left to go packing stuff up, it started to pour again. I made it out a bit wet but still all was good. The rain kept me from going for a hike, and mostly because (every other campground I stayed at, there were no maps of the area at the site. So there were trails all over but which ones led to the trees I wanted to see I had no clue. I thought it would be better to get out and ride! That said, this is a really nice campground, a bit secluded, but seemed to have really nice hiking trails all around.

I left the campground and made my way over to Ridgeway, Penn. I was stopped at the local Subway picking up my breakfast and lunch, when some guy on the street came over and started talking to me about my V-Strom. After he was done, he told me that if I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, to go around the corner to a small restaurant that he claimed would make me the best blueberry or banana-nut pancakes I had ever eaten. He was so right. $5 and I was stuffed and so content after leaving Hearts Content.

After eating breakfast, I passed by this small town and wondered why here - in the land of Ontario where most anything grows, we didn't name one of our towns as such....

Now it was time for me to make my way back home. I wanted to be back by 4pm so I could see my girlfriend whom I missed very much and hadn't been away from for this long in a long time. I had my route planned out and then relied on the gps to take me there. For almost the whole trip I had used paper maps to direct me, except anytime I got lost. The gps took me down this nice scenic interstate complete with river crossing and no trespassing signs. It was so tranquil, that my bike decided to take a nap.

I left this dirt road and made my way over to Buffalo, but not before getting lost two more times and losing about another hour. When riding up to Buffalo, of course it started to rain, but in the far off horizon, I could see some clear blue skies. Canada.

Sure enough, I crossed the border and the rain stopped and it was blue skies the rest of the way home. When I got home, my girlfriend had also just arrived and was just getting out of her car when I pulled up. I couldn't have asked for a better trip with a better ending.

shanekingsley screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 06:34 AM
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Rotten Ronnie
Rotten Ronnie's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklin, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 354
Great write up! I love the "nap" part. :)

I had a similar experience with fog and rain on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Canadian XR and I left the ridge for the valley, where it was a simple drizzle with no fog. Who knew? I grew up in Onterrible where we ski on anything 600ft or higher. :)
Bikes I haven't managed to destroy yet:
2009 Kawasaki Versys 650

Ride Reports and other drivel:
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Sasquatch Jr.
bigtallguy's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Jackson, MS
Oddometer: 254
Great report! I was at Barber that weekend too Saw that BMW with the bike rack... interesting enough.

This was in the staging area for the parade lap:

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
bigtallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
shanekingsley OP
shanekingsley's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Oddometer: 145
Thanks for that picture! That thing was awesome.

What a great weekend and I'd love to go back........
shanekingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer
Bama Gringo's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Matt, new to nashville, tn
Oddometer: 198
loved the report! Im glad you enjoyed your visit to Alabama.

Leeds, Alabama (2 miles from Barbers)
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
aldntn's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville TN
Oddometer: 274

Was on the southern end of BRP a few weeks ago.

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Mod Squad
GB's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 56,841
Gorgeous ride, report and pics.. Gotta get me down to the Barber museum soon! Thanks for the detailed report and pics
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
Beastly Adventurer
WaywardSon's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,380

Really nice report...thanks for taking the time. I was also a Barber that weekend, my first time also. Just an incredible place.
2008 Suzuki DL 650....Wee Strom
WaywardSon is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015