Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #31
Recon_Buck

Oddometer: n/a
Okay, I look like a poser...

I have never, ever ridden a skinny bike in the dirt before. I grew up in south Louisiana... I know about bayous and a waterman's life. This was a very new experience for me. What a blast!

Here I am atop my first real climb. Before I knew it, I was getting air as well!!!
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 08:36 PM
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #32
Recon_Buck

Pennsylvania's Weird Beer Laws

No offense to the fine politicians who frame and vote on the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania... But what the hell??? We couldn't purchase beer from a 7-11 (therefore, no one was singing, "Oh thank heaven..."). Plus, the Dakar Bar didn't open until 1800... What's a thirsty ADV Rider to do???

Hmmmmm... Did you know that one of Rat's most redeeming qualities was that he was spawned from a small ville not far from the event... He promptly called his very cool Dad, and shortly thereafter Pops (an Army veteran, "Rock of the Marne!") brought us an ice cold case of Penn Pilsner.

Prost indeed!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #33
Recon_Buck

The only non-mechanical casualty

While out on the trails, Coleen got some dirt in her eye, which seemed to scratch her eye. So Leanna (who's a US Navy Nurse) patched her up!!!

Argh!!! Shimmer me timbers ye filthy bilge rats... bring me a vodka martini or walk the plank!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #34
Recon_Buck

Winding down Day 2

As the sun went down, we all told tall tails of great rides on the awesome trails!

When I grow up, I want to be as awesome a rider as Crazy Mac!

Hey JJ!!! FYYFF!!!
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 10:24 PM
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #35
Recon_Buck

Night Life

I unfortunately didn't take many pictures at night. I was too busy drinking at the Dakar Bar and chatting with dozens of my new best friends.

That night Jim Hyde gave a presentation on his expedition down to the Dakar Rally in Chile and Argentina. Jeremy and Brianna (of AltRiders) gave an equally impressive presentation on their trip to Italy. Both of these presentations had everyone dreaming of their own adventures yet to come in our own personal GS lifestyle!!!

During the next evening Jim again wowed us with his Continental Divide Adventure trip... From Mexico to Canada and back... Ohhhh, the dreams I had regarding wanting to be on that trip... He was again followed by Jeremy and Brianna who shared their day-long Adventure Ride at this year's BMW MOA Rally. They are already planning one for the 2011 rally which will be in Pennsylvania (near Scranton) next year. Hmmmmm, I wonder if Michael Scott from Dunder-Miflin will join us on that ride... I know that Virginian Team will certainly be there!!!

Here's Leanna sitting my my bike just after sharing with her Dad on the phone all about her first day in the dirt. You can see the AltRider Rear Brake Reservoir Guard on the bike. I went with the black color which looks great. It is an extremely well made product and a practical piece of protective off-roading gear!!!

We all slept damn good that night!
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 08:43 PM
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #36
Recon_Buck

Morning came early on Day 3!

Here's Super Dave putting some of his pieces back on his bike. A few shots of WD-40 made digging the mug out of his final drive piece much easier so he could screw his perfectly clean splash guard back onto his GS.

Many people asked him all day long why his splash guard was so clean...

After a delicious breakfast, we took a wonderful tour of the local area, and cruised on some seriously twisty and beautiful mountain single lane roads; both gravel and paved.
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 04:56 AM
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #37
Recon_Buck

The Virginian Crew

Okay, Crazy Mac is from Ohio... But here he is and the Rat!

Oh, and if I confused you, Crazy Mac is JJ... I think Crazy Mac is JJ's name here in ADV Rider. If I haven't said it yet, he has some seriously mad skills on his wicked badass HP2. Hey JJ, FYYFF!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #38
Recon_Buck

Hmmmmmmm... Rat again!

I think Rat is a photo hog... I'm just saying...

Here's Rat & I on our day tour of the local area. We saw many old, lovely, and somewhat historic areas. Rat added some interesting thoughts by sharing some not-so-well-known local insights during our ride by chiming in that he lost his virginity near a mill that was not far where we were at that very moment...

Pause for awkward silence....

I wonder if that poor lass is out of therapy yet....
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 10:30 PM
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #39
Recon_Buck

And then...

Super Dave comes sliding in, and asks, "Hey ladies, are we going to ride or take pictures all day long???"

The Ride was back On!!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #40
Recon_Buck

Enough for now!

Okay, I'm tired and still have a ton of work to do that actually pays the bills... You know like the gas money I need to attend more of these most incredible Adventure trips! More later!

PS... Hey JJ, FYYFF!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #41
drewcrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
just wanted to thank you guys, and rat's dad, for the beer and the entertainment. (newb with muddy gs)
Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #42
Ike Baker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thumb

Hey Buck - I was the fourth rider on the G450X ride - was great to meet you guys

Oh, and for beer (on and off sale), I highly recommend the Paramount Cafe, a 70-year old dive-y bar across PA-18 and one block north from the entrance to the campground.

Ike Baker screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 11:20 AM
Ike Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #43
Jeremy L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Great pictures and ride report -- thanks for posting it!

RawHyde events are always fun and we were happy to be there. Glad that you enjoyed our presentations!

AltRider.com
Jeremy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #44
Recon_Buck

Thanks!

Ike, Jeremy, Drew and to all the others who sent me private mail, I certainly enjoyed meeting you all. It was an epic weekend... Now I'll try to finish this thread....
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #45
Recon_Buck

Back into the dirt on the 450s!!!

So, after we stopped for some hot chocolate, we returned back to the camp ground for yet another superb RawHyde lunch. We were getting pretty tired, and knew exactly what we needed to get our blood pumping...

More G 450 X rides!!!!!

Here's JJ and Super Dave playing in the dirt! Too much fun!
Attached Images