Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #46
Recon_Buck

Oddometer: n/a
The Rat!

So, the Rat finally said, "Oh hell, time for me to take this skinny bike up the little ole slope!" Remember what we said before, throttle is your friend...

Rat eased off too quickly and got stuck about two feet from the apex... Super Dave and JJ were off to rescue the Rat... I would have joined in of course, but someone had to take the pictures...
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #47
Recon_Buck

Hmmmmm, someone may need to go on a diet...

Super Dave and JJ both had to put their backs into getting Rat to the top of the hill. I'm sure it would have been easier had I assisted, but then you would never have seen these pictures, now would you!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #48
Recon_Buck

I was smoked!!!!

Since no one was waiting for the 450's when we completed our third run, the good folks from BMW let us keep on riding them. Holy Cow!!! My final run of the day was full bore and wayyyyyyyyy too much fun!!!! Air, air, and more air!!! I love my big Boxer, but there is certainly something sexy and fun about that little skinny bike...

Funniest part of the entire weekend... We only had exclusive privileges to the park on Friday, so the trails were filled with quad-runners and really skinny bikes on Saturday. I decided to take the R1200 GS ADV for one final trip before I called it quits. Well, there was this little kid (like maybe 8 or 9) on a 50cc that was right on my ass for about 10 minutes. I was trying to pull over, but I was very focused on keeping my GS vertical, and didn't want to slow down until I found a good spot. Well, after a steep hill climb, I pulled over to let him pass. The little rug rat (kin, perhaps, of The Rat?) pulls up next to me and says, "Hey old man, get that Pachyderm out of my way!" And with that he blazes off!!! Now I understand why animals eat their young!!!

Upon my return, I discovered that Coleen used her Droid to find a State Store so now my hardest choice was whether to have a Bombay Saffire Martini or a Vodka one... Oh, and should it have two or three olives.... Stirred, of course!!!
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 03:59 AM
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #49
Recon_Buck

Day 4... The Long Ride Home

The inevitable last night was finally upon us. With a belly full of delicious steak and many martinis I slept like a baby under a waning moon, and the night air which was most cold.

The morning met us with a brisk chill and everything we own drenched in dew. Nothing to do now but pack up the gear and let it all dry out at home.

Here's the Rat packing up his bike. The moto gear at his feet was "removed" from his bike during his ride compliments of gravity and friction. He placed it in a bag to be affixed at a later date... and when he has a welding torch handy!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #50
Recon_Buck

Ready to Ride

After saying many good-byes to new friends, and truly hoping to see them again next year, it was time to ride home.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #51
Recon_Buck

Shorter Route, Longer Time....

To make time we headed out on the Turnpike. Traffic wasn't too bad, and we were making great time. Here we are at a fuel stop. I had about a dozen folks come over and talk to me about me bike. I always love this statement,

"I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW BMW MADE MOTORCYCLES!!!"

It's always a classic!

We got off the Turnpike in record time, and stopped in West Va for a really good lunch... And then....
Attached Images

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 04:13 AM
Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #52
Recon_Buck

Well, we were making good time...

Same Rat, different bike. This is the first of three field maintenance stops (none worked). I'm damn impressed with his mechanical and electrical knowledge. But sometimes that knowledge isn't synchronized at the same time at the same location... Know what I mean?
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #53
Recon_Buck

Road side stop...

Rat began a series of bold trouble shooting... Super Dave was his loyal assistance. I took the pictures!

Trouble shooting was as successful as wishful thinking...
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #54
Recon_Buck

Zip tied and taped up rear brake

Not sure what was wrong with Rat's GS... It just didn't want to play an more. At one point Rat thought his rear brake was sticking, so off the wheel it went!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #55
Recon_Buck

Last Entry

Well we made it to Warrenton, VA with Rat limping his GS there. He decided to park his GS as it couldn't go any further, and then return with his truck. Leanna hopped on the back on my GS, as she and I rode to Rat's house 2-up. Rat rode Leanna's F800GS to his house. Super Dave and Coleen rode with us to the I-295/I-64 split, and we all waved good-bye as they had to get home to the Eastern Shore.

At Rat's house, Leanna and I bid Rat farewell as Rat hitched up his trailer and with his faithful dog "Ammo" riding along, he headed back up north to retrieve his GS.

Leanna and I rode home in the dark and under non-stop rain. Some would call that a miserable ride...

I call it the perfect ending to an incredibly awesome Adventure Weekend!!! Thanks for reading!

Semper Fidelis, Buck

Recon_Buck screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 04:08 AM
Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #56
crazymac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon_Buck
We had a blast!!!

However... Rat did not take his left hand guard, Hella lights, and windshield off prior to the Adventure Ride... Gravity aided by the mountain side took care of all that... Not sure if the PA State Police should have issued a littering ticket to him for leaving some bike parts in the wilderness....
I personally think Rat loses parts for a reason. Since his sense of direction has been called into question so many times, he now adds as many extras to his bike as he can (loosely attached of course) so that they fall off randomly leaving a trail...like bread crumbs. This way he can find his way home. Ha ha.
crazymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #57
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Great ride report
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #58
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon_Buck
"Hey ya'll, we may be lost, but we're making great time!!! Now let's ride in this direction for a while and see in we can finally get out of North Carolina..."
Just remember, 3 lefts make a right ... now let's ride!
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #59
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 62
Laugh my first Rawhyde adventure!

I was 100% against paying $300 for what I thought would be a poseur fest ... two days after returning ... I'm still grinning ear to ear! Great people, awesome rides, by far the best $300 I ever spent! I hope they come east again, what a freek'n class act.
and all that after shedding parts and limping to a "good" breakdown spot on one cylinder (cracked plug wire) . How many days till next year?
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #60
Recon_Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Baker
Hey Buck - I was the fourth rider on the G450X ride - was great to meet you guys

Oh, and for beer (on and off sale), I highly recommend the Paramount Cafe, a 70-year old dive-y bar across PA-18 and one block north from the entrance to the campground.
Thanks Ike, that info will certainly be put to good use for next year's event! See you there buddy!!!