ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #1501
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I have the gps tracks; you follow me.
Oh come on, whats the worst that can happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
That's why I said "8am-ish"... you can have an extra 12 minutes Tom, then we ride.
All I need to do is slow you down the night before.....................with the Teapot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
meh. thats what zip together sleeping bags are for. :wink
Damnit...................I thought I would be the one to snuggle with Rubber Cow

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #1502
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
Don't forget your warm skivvies!
The National Weather Service issued the freezing weather watch Wednesday morning, warning of a "very cold Wednesday night in central Oregon."

The meteorologists say mostly clear skies and light winds mean "strong radiational cooling."

Translation: A freak night of freezing temperatures in August.

The warning covers the east slopes of the Oregon Cascades, including the cities of Bend, La Pine and Sunriver. The warning starts at 1 a.m. Thursday and will remain until 9 a.m.

Folks living just south of Bend will see lows in the upper 20s. People living in Bend, Madras and Redmond will see temperatures from 30 to 32 degrees.
This warning is for tonight, right now. It's cold here in the San Juan islands too, maybe 55.

I've just checked the next weeks forecast, between here and Bend. It looks bad, if you're a slug.

So bad that I am planning to leave Saturday, yes, day after tomorrow. I am a poor navigator. I will start this trip by driving 150 miles the wrong direction, Poor me.

there's a ride report forming in my head, and my camera is going on the fritz, so I have no problem learning how to shoot while driving.

See y'all shortly bobo
Old 08-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #1503
DireWolf OP
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,359
Bobo!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #1504
Elua Huila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Yep. Leaving Thursday morning.
Anyone that wants to (Drtyfun, asrvivor,...?) can stay on my lawn Wednesday evening,
have a nice BBQ & drinks around our firepit,
a shower in the morning,
and leave Hood River area Thursday morning with me.
I'm taking the dirty route.

Where are you all staying Thursday night?
I just arrived in Oregon yesterday from Hawaii, went to lunch with my brother, then went to check out and buy a bike. It all happened so fast! Anyway, so now I have a xt250
I'll be riding from Warm Springs area Friday unless it makes sense to meet some of you somewhere on Thursday.
I don't like all the pavement it looks like I'll have to ride down to Tumalo, but so far the only detailed maps I have are of the oohva route 3, so I may have to stick to pavement unless I find some good maps around here... or a great memory and google maps! I don't have a GPS either... don't really need those in Hawaii.
Just been catching up here since I didn't get to sign on since Monday! Exciting :)
Elua Huila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #1505
Elua Huila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Okay FF's, here it is, the first actual semi-organized ride plan:

Saturday, Sept. 10th, 2011
brad21's Christmas Valley loop
Distance: about 200 miles
Bikes: DS (would prefer small DS bikes)
Departure: 8am-ish

The gist: leave Rancho Wachs' early, head south, stops in the East Fort Rock OHV area, Derrick Cave, "the world's biggest Juniper tree", Crack in the Ground, Green Mtn., gas and food in Christmas Valley. Possible side trip to the CV sand dunes and the Lost Forest, Fort Rock, Hole in the Ground, time/weather permitting. Pace will be "spirited" and smaller DS bikes would be best. KTM 950's okay, but the "big" Bimmers should plan on opting out of this one.

I will attach a Garmin file with tracks when I get home this afternoon. Please download it to your GPS's.

This sounds like a fun option. I don't have a GPS though and don't want to be a pain in someone's okole. Also not sure of my riding level and how technical the trails are. I'm really comfortable off road but not the most exeperienced in really technical situations. But I like single track. Maybe I'll get a better impression in the coming days as I ride my new bike (it's even more comfy and manuverable than my tw) Yippee!!!

Can you somehow rate this ride? easy to totally advanced?
Elua Huila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #1506
mikerbritbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1167 View Post
This warning is for tonight, right now. It's cold here in the San Juan islands too, maybe 55.

I've just checked the next weeks forecast, between here and Bend. It looks bad, if you're a slug.

So bad that I am planning to leave Saturday, yes, day after tomorrow. I am a poor navigator. I will start this trip by driving 150 miles the wrong direction, Poor me.

there's a ride report forming in my head, and my camera is going on the fritz, so I have no problem learning how to shoot while driving.

See y'all shortly bobo
Great to see a good forecast. I leave from Woodinville, possibly Tuesday, and will mosey on down on small roads via Mt. Rainier, St. Helens, Mt. Hood, possibly Crater Lake, and then find my way to Tumalo. Stoked!
mikerbritbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #1507
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
I anticipate my rear TKC will look like that front tire on the Yammi by the time I get to Tumalo.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #1508
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Damnit...................I thought I would be the one to snuggle with Rubber Cow
Shave first....and we'll talk about it....

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #1509
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elua Huila View Post
Where are you all staying Thursday night?
I just arrived in Oregon yesterday from Hawaii, went to lunch with my brother, then went to check out and buy a bike. It all happened so fast! Anyway, so now I have a xt250
I'll be riding from Warm Springs area Friday unless it makes sense to meet some of you somewhere on Thursday.
I don't like all the pavement it looks like I'll have to ride down to Tumalo, but so far the only detailed maps I have are of the oohva route 3, so I may have to stick to pavement unless I find some good maps around here... or a great memory and google maps! I don't have a GPS either... don't really need those in Hawaii.
Just been catching up here since I didn't get to sign on since Monday! Exciting :)
You do realize that the actual event isn't until next weekend......right?!
A man could get into a heap of trouble on a bike in this part of the world...there are trails that will call you in and smack you down....and pack a knife so that you can defend yourself when the coyotes come to try and claim what's left of you!

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #1510
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Oh come on, whats the worst that can happen?

Actually not sure how much riding I'll get to do; kinda F'd up my knee yesterday on a ride. Hopefully it will be better by then.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #1511
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elua Huila View Post
This sounds like a fun option. I don't have a GPS though and don't want to be a pain in someone's okole. Also not sure of my riding level and how technical the trails are. I'm really comfortable off road but not the most exeperienced in really technical situations. But I like single track. Maybe I'll get a better impression in the coming days as I ride my new bike (it's even more comfy and manuverable than my tw) Yippee!!!

Can you somehow rate this ride? easy to totally advanced?
There's not much technicality to it, but most of it can be ridden fast. Ideally I'd like to have a somewhat skilled group that doesn't require a lot of waiting for riders at each turn. It's a big ride, less waiting=more ground covered and more sights to see. In other words if you consider yourself a novice rider and don't like going much above 40mph off-road this ride may not be for you.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #1512
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Actually not sure how much riding I'll get to do; kinda F'd up my knee yesterday on a ride. Hopefully it will be better by then.
Ice religiously, 20 on, 40 off. And leave your purse at home.

(seriously, heal up quick, we gots some ridin' to do podner!)

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #1513
DireWolf OP
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,359
Quote:
There's not much technicality to it, but most of it can be ridden fast. Ideally I'd like to have a somewhat skilled group that doesn't require a lot of waiting for riders at each turn. It's a big ride, less waiting=more ground covered and more sights to see. In other words if you consider yourself a novice rider and don't like going much above 40mph off-road this ride may not be for you.
Sounds XRR fantabulous.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #1514
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,472
Quote:
Ice religiously, 20 on, 40 off. And leave your purse at home.

(seriously, heal up quick, we gots some ridin' to do podner!)
I'll try!

So about 100 mile fuel range needed? Still debating on which tank to put on the bike.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #1515
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
I'll try!

So about 100 mile fuel range needed? Still debating on which tank to put on the bike.
Well, we only have the one fuel stop and it's about 100 miles from casa de Wachs. However, if we decide to explore a little after leaving Christmas Valley we could easily push up to 250 miles total for the day, just depends on what kind of group we end up with. And if we decide to F around in the sand dunes well then all bets are off...