Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #31
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
man, you guys are harsh and jaded!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #32
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
[quote=mfp4073]No. (but then I dont remember a lot of cafes around in the US either)

Geeze! How young are you? Up until I was about 25 or so and I'm 53 now, there were cafe's about every fre miles in a large city, and at least three or four in small towns all over the US.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #33
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Sniper X]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073
No. (but then I dont remember a lot of cafes around in the US either)

Geeze! How young are you? Up until I was about 25 or so and I'm 53 now, there were cafe's about every fre miles in a large city, and at least three or four in small towns all over the US.
lol, mid thirties. But my dad was one of those guys. Sold off his 66 bonnie cafe, but still has his 69 bonnie that he bought in 69. Was brought up right!
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #34
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,182
So the Cafe poser should be the decaffeinater?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
man, you guys are harsh and jaded!
Don't think so, on a tickler for Cafe' Racer last night they already refered to "Custom bike builders" Getting inot the scene......there (in my opinion) will be a Cafe version of OCC or biker build off deal very soon and we will all see all old triumphs Nortons and othere's take off like a sky rocket in price. Good for us sellers who have a few but bad for the common man wanting a project bike. I predict a typical $1500.00 triumph project bike will be selling for at least 5K in the near future. Or more.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #36
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
. I predict a typical $1500.00 triumph project bike will be selling for at least 5K in the near future. Or more.
I have been expecting it for awhile. New to riding, but not new to trends. I have been seeing prices over the last 5 years and felt they were low and with the "classic car" trends on stuff like the auction show, figure it was only a matter of time.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #37
curlysurfer
in need of a ride

Oddometer: 329
Someone will correct me possibly, but Deus down here had a marketing ploy to sell to the older cashed up crowd who missed out on the style when they were younger. You can buy an import bike for $9k or the same import bike for $18k with only bolt on items, no engine work.

I know there are other chop shops out there already, just pointing out deus's marketing. and good on them for targeting a demographic to part with their 'hard earned'.

couple of mountain bikes, 20 or so surfboards, not enough time........
curlysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #38
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I have been expecting it for awhile. New to riding, but not new to trends. I have been seeing prices over the last 5 years and felt they were low and with the "classic car" trends on stuff like the auction show, figure it was only a matter of time.
Righto mate, and not to mention, on the car auctions i am already seeing bikes on there as well! Spattered but there. Usually very old ones but as soon as the richie riches get wind there is money to be made by buying a BSA ot Trumpet for 1500 and restoring it and selling it for 30K they will.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #39
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysurfer
Someone will correct me possibly, but Deus down here had a marketing ploy to sell to the older cashed up crowd who missed out on the style when they were younger. You can buy an import bike for $9k or the same import bike for $18k with only bolt on items, no engine work.

I know there are other chop shops out there already, just pointing out deus's marketing. and good on them for targeting a demographic to part with their 'hard earned'.
I don't mind at all guys like us making big buxks off the rich guys amping up old bikes into cafe racers at ALL. I might in fact open a shop doing just that since I know a guy with at least 200 bikes that would be canidates....I just get bummed thinking about the normal income guy like me who may want one in a few years never again being able to afford one.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #40
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
I don't mind at all guys like us making big buxks off the rich guys amping up old bikes into cafe racers at ALL. I might in fact open a shop doing just that since I know a guy with at least 200 bikes that would be canidates....I just get bummed thinking about the normal income guy like me who may want one in a few years never again being able to afford one.
I wouldn't worry about not being able to afford one in a few years.... choppers form the "chopper craze" are selling for pennies on the dollar now.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #41
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King
I wouldn't worry about not being able to afford one in a few years.... choppers form the "chopper craze" are selling for pennies on the dollar now.
notice now they sell for around 9 grand instead of the fourty they use top sell for used.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #42
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Make it stop! Now I want to go buy an old CB!
steve_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #43
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
wow... i wont say im surprised at the division here, i mean this is ADV, and the whole point of conversing is lost if veryone just says "oh this is awesome"...

but i think the cafe thing is long overdue... everyone rails at harley riders that ride 5 miles down to the (insert gathering here) and back home once a month, and blast the guy on a GS that rides (to starbucks) on his fully equipped GSA... but most of those guys just like having the damn thing and theres nothing wrong with that... its sort of like those ladies reading romance novels, but with props.

I only wish I had time to clmb on a great "around town bike" and go hang out in a parking lot at the diner and poke around other peoples rides and ramble on about gear headed nonsense for a few hours on a saturday night.

thats what the harley guys do, its what the Sportbikers do, ratbike riders, guys with old cars, the corvette club... name it.

hell, find me a Cafe club and I'll join it... those bike look like fun. oh, wait.... i gotta work saturday night.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #44
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bee
Remember when cafe racers used to race from cafe to cafe?
They should call these neo-cafes made with Japanese bikes "Starbucks Racers."

(shit, 205'd)

Just watched the first two episodes. Is it the "be all, end all" of motorcycle broadcasting? No. But I'll watch it over American Idol every time. (Actually, I've never seen American Idol so maybe I'm biased.)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 12:40 PM
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #45
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,648
Quote:
Down here I dont see anything on the road other than harleys and sport bikes with the occasional DS thrown in. I dont ever see classics, much less something in any sort of cafe dress. Heck the greasers down here dont even do cafes. Few old indians, harleys, but thats about it.

That's because, other than 90˚ intersections, there's no corners in Florida.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote