Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #46
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
That's because, other than 90˚ intersections, there's no corners in Florida.
We do have to be able to corner on a dime to avoid alligators in the road...shut up, we do get to corner. once or twice every 40 miles...... (grumble grumble.)
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #47
earthroamer OP
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Just watched the first two episodes. Is it the "be all, end all" of motorcycle broadcasting? No. But I'll watch it over American Idol every time. (Actually, I've never seen American Idol so maybe I'm biased.)
To me, this is the point. Regardless of how the screw this up, it beats watching just about anything else. At least they are talking about motorcycles that I can identify with. I try to watch OCC but it makes me sick.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #48
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
I think dish network just dropped discovery HD.....so no more episodes for me......
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #49
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,299
What is with all the haters?? I just saw the show with rain pounding outside and my right foot in a big boot from a recent spill. Sure it was a little campy, and the guys in the shop try to act cool, but who cares, the bikes were cool looking.

Are you afraid that these shows will make you look less cool? Don't us bikers already not give a poop about what others think? Those of you who are already cool will still be after the show is over, and what is a cafe poser? I guy/gal who likes bikes is a guy/gal that likes bikes no?

Considering the amount of poop TV has, I will watch just about any motorcycle show except for OCC.
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #50
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
I must concede I like the show. Very UNLIKE the OCC soap oprah, and chopper build off. And at least they have real guys who ride as commentators. I love the varity of builders who all build cool bikes out of sometimes surprising bikes to start with. The show needs to be shot in a better format (real 100mbs HD) instead of genuine faux HDV. But other than the quality of the picture and the generic shooters who compose like first year film school dropouts, it is a great show.

Oh and is it just me, or do the Bostroms seem a little gay?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #51
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,024
the show sucks like every bike show i've ever seen.
i watch it for the bikes, the only show i've seen that has bikes that interest me at all & can actually be ridden.
i could give 2 shits what the people have to say, the host is an idiot, narrator has an irritating voice & they dont show real home-built bikes.
the test riders are clowns & the song bites.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #52
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
the show sucks like every bike show i've ever seen.
i watch it for the bikes, the only show i've seen that has bikes that interest me at all & can actually be ridden.
i could give 2 shits what the people have to say, the host is an idiot, narrator has an irritating voice & they dont show real home-built bikes.
the test riders are clowns & the song bites.
I do agree with the fact they picked the wrong person for the narration, plus the editor of Cafe Racer is a little nerdy, especially for a black man. He is cool though. also agree that there is way too much dialouge and descriptive shit that is still there every episode like someone totally new to cafe is watching and even new to motorcycles in general. I also don't like the fact they only are showing companies doing builds instead of a couple buds in a shed....now that would be cool, show them searching the net for parts, selling shit to buy the parts, and haggling like we all do who really build these for ourselves.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #53
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,023
Man, I know I bought this CB750 for something a few years ago . Work in progress, but if I had Discovery HD I would watch the show. Like so many have said, better then the crap on OCC! I can appreciate the work done to those bikes, but I am not a chopper dude and I hate the made for TV drama that comes with it!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #54
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I've watched several of the episodes, and have been entertained, but a bit disappointed with its simple-mindedness.

There's a lot of repetition and the riding sequences are pretty boring. I would love to have seen Billy Joel's actual bike collection instead of 30 minutes of him rambling on his life and the music industry and his concert footage.

I also didn't like the way they behaved at and portrayed things at Mid Ohio. Talking about vendors from the mountains who don't have telephones and don't know the value of what they're selling was a bit insulting. Someone else mentioned the burn out and spray painting in the pits.

Still, I give them credit for getting out there and trying and I hope the show takes off and improves.
RD400 XL250
Couple Airhead BMWs
Couple Chinese Pitbikes
scottro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #55
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
The goobers who brought a poorly assembled bike for E Boz to ride, and then had him crash on it due to their shitty workmanship, need to get a bus pass. I can't believe they even aired that segment, but it's a cautionary tale for other tattooed "builders."
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #56
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer fred View Post
The goobers who brought a poorly assembled bike for E Boz to ride, and then had him crash on it due to their shitty workmanship, need to get a bus pass. I can't believe they even aired that segment, but it's a cautionary tale for other tattooed "builders."
Iirc, they said the part that failed (wheel hub) was a purchased manufactured item-- not something that was poorly assembled.

The real lesson in that episode for those who were paying attention is that, while sneakers, jeans, and 1960s era open faced helmets may look cool and complement the cafe dynamic, they aren't exactly the hot setup for hitting the pavement. You'd think pro road racers would be smarter than that.

The show is not as good as I'd hoped; nor is it as bad as it could have been. I don't know if there's 2 season's worth of episodes, but hopefully they can improve the format.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #57
farmer fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Iirc, they said the part that failed (wheel hub) was a purchased manufactured item-- not something that was poorly assembled.

The real lesson in that episode for those who were paying attention is that, while sneakers, jeans, and 1960s era open faced helmets may look cool and complement the cafe dynamic, they aren't exactly the hot setup for hitting the pavement. You'd think pro road racers would be smarter than that.

The show is not as good as I'd hoped; nor is it as bad as it could have been. I don't know if there's 2 season's worth of episodes, but hopefully they can improve the format.

I thought that Goober 1 looked down at the caliper and said "they backed out" or some such? Apparently you could see the wheel wobbling about when Goober rode up on it. Maybe there was a parts failure, but there was definitely a QA/QC failure. Fugly-ass bike as well.

I agree on the gear, but unfortunately, the cafe racer meme doesn't include ATGATT.

farmer fred screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 11:45 AM
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #58
Roach Carver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I aggree 100%. That was their bike, their quality control. At least be a man about it and take the blame. He blamed " the bearing supplier??" I also aggree, horrible looking bike.
Roach Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #59
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,213
Why couldn't it have been this good?

There was a show called something like "American Icon, The Hot Rod" that was running the same time as the Cafe Racer show; and I couldn't help but feel frustrated by how good the Hot Rod show was in comparison. Hosted by Chip Foose (who was excellent- he did a great job in setting the stage for what was coming as well as providing qualified context), it was informative, had a lot of the legends explain how it was and offering opinions, presented the landmark cars in the movement, and explained how it transitioned in the past and is changing today. All without the bombast and self-consciousness that is so typical of motorcycle shows.

Whether you like hot rods or not (and I'm not a particular fan of them), the show is worth watching.

The sad truth is that cafe racers have a similalily rich history, complete with legendary figures and inflection points; and the CR show essentially missed most of the best ones.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #60
farmer fred
Banned

Mike and crew are trying to get the show zeroed in. It's a tiny slice of the motorcycling universe, so it has to be tough to come up with the right content.

I just couldn't stand that 919- or CBR-based abortion that EBoz crashed on.