User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Craypot OP
wherethephuquerwee

Oddometer: 786
Advers Get-together - Newnes 2009

A bunch of advers and some Clubman tourers converged on the abandoned shale oil town of Newnes just north of Lithgow on the weekend 16-17 May. Most rode the last few ks via Blackfellows hand track. There is some stunning scenery in this area and well worth the ride to check it out. The tracks a bit of fun as well although a lot of it has been recently graded.
As usual at these things to much alcohol was consumed but we managed to tackle the track again on the way home to clear the cobwebs.

Along the track.

Holdeninaus showing off on his 950. Most people rode around the puddle Jason!

Newnes campground. The campsite is in a natural ampitheatre with cliffs all around. Adventurous types say they're fun to climb.

Boys with GPSs trying to figure out how to use them. You know how you invert the route? Turn the f**king GPS upside down.

I tried a different route back to Canberra via Bald Ridge rd. I'll certainly be including this road on future rides to Bathurst/Lithgow. Great fun. At one stage we thought we'd transported back to the Wild Wild West.

Gratuitous KTM photo. Note the RecessionBeater (TM) fuel storage system in use. I'm willing to sell these for the low price of $150 + postage. A bargain compared to alternative extra fuel storage systems.

See ya all on the next ride.

Mike

“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”
Henry Lawson

Craypot screwed with this post 05-17-2009 at 04:34 AM
Craypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Good pics mate Looks a bit cold?
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Craypot OP
wherethephuquerwee

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8TY
Good pics mate Looks a bit cold?
it was cold and wet on Saturday but fined up in the afternoon. Bloody cold around Oberon this morning but it was sunny.

“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”
Henry Lawson

Craypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,840
My kinda gathering! Sounds like a nice time
Old 05-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
My contribution

3 of us meet at Wisemans (Scott, MicL, Me) and picked up another at Laguna (BaldyMountainDweller) before heading in through Yengo & Finchley through to Putty then onto Commmision Trail before heading up Howes Valley Trail.

There's a tough little hill on Howes VT and a couple of the boys had a little lay down:

Did a loop back to Putty and headed south to Colo Heights before heading up Mountain Lagoon trail to Bilpin.
MicL having some electrical problems and as he hadn't had the bike long, didn't know how to get the seat off the 640!! Of course there's always a few experts around to help solve any problem:

We took time out for a bite to eat while MicL worked on the 640:

Gratuitious KTM shots:

The beautiful Wolgan Valley with Newnes and the far end in what the US people call a box canyon:

The tough little run down in to the valley:

Some shots from the campground:

Very cold moring with frost on the ground to welcome us to a new day:

Another great gathering with a good mix of people and bikes and great to catch up with a number of guys met on previous rides.

Mark
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Micl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Was a great trip... Thanks to organisers I had a fantastic time. I now know where the hidden seat bolt is

Problem turned out to be the guys that changed the battery last routing the earth between the frame and seat so it got broken. It was good to fix as I was getting sick of having to kick start it

Stats from my GPS was in the 48 hours from leaving work to getting home I managed 1200 km and 17 hours of riding, I really love my airhawk

Need to do it again some time...

MicL
Micl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 993
Great report Fellas. Very jealous Maybe next time when I don't have kids rugby. And when I get a tent. And when I get a decent bike. And when I get my 23l tank, etc, etc.

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
baldymountaindweller
Bald Bulganite

Oddometer: 214
Good to Crap from

I had a great ride to Newnes with DirtRuss (Scott) although he left us at Bilpin, Carmima(Mark) and MickL (Mic). As per Carmima's report good ride with a few laughs and a couple of challneging hills.
I'd intended to head to Oberon on my way home and catch up with BMW Kurt to check out his new place. The plan was to head out to Lidsdale and fuel up then back towards Blackfellows hands trail and turn left not right onto Blackfellows. According to the GPS it's the bicentenial trail. This went well and the first 10 or so K's went well. Somewhere along the way I've lost a bolt from the top right hand side of my subframe mount. due to the rough nature of the trail it loaded up the other side and eventually broke the mount away from the frame causing the rear assembly of the bike to drop and the seat to swing up and collect the boys with much force. So here I was broken in the middle of nowhere on my own with a couple of acres. TOPS. The good side was that during my recovery all the groups of riders that passed by stopped and made sure I was ok. So it was over the tank with the Panniers (she's a wide ship now) stash the tent sleeping bag and bed in the bush (no weight on the subframe) use on of the tie down that steady the panniers to pull the sub frame up nice and slowly to line up the header pipes and then hold up the show for the rest of the ride directly home. It's one time I'm thankfull that I'm a steady as she goes rider and not some crazy young holigan.
Thanks to all I rode with and thoughs I met for a good weekend.
Baldy
Old 05-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
HoldoninAus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
The cameras on the blink so no photo's from me. Nice to see you guys again as well as meeting some new pissheads. The run home was a little soured by some strange clutch noises when we left Newnes so we missed out on some more challenging dirt we had planned. We did enjoy Blackfellows hand then a leisurely cruise up through St Albans. See you all next time.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!”
HoldoninAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
Bugger...that's the 2nd time I've ridden with you 990 guys and you've busted the subframe. Must be that MX style riding !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldymountaindweller
I had a great ride to Newnes with DirtRuss (Scott) although he left us at Bilpin, Carmima(Mark) and MickL (Mic). As per Carmima's report good ride with a few laughs and a couple of challneging hills.
I'd intended to head to Oberon on my way home and catch up with BMW Kurt to check out his new place. The plan was to head out to Lidsdale and fuel up then back towards Blackfellows hands trail and turn left not right onto Blackfellows. According to the GPS it's the bicentenial trail. This went well and the first 10 or so K's went well. Somewhere along the way I've lost a bolt from the top right hand side of my subframe mount. due to the rough nature of the trail it loaded up the other side and eventually broke the mount away from the frame causing the rear assembly of the bike to drop and the seat to swing up and collect the boys with much force. So here I was broken in the middle of nowhere on my own with a couple of acres. TOPS. The good side was that during my recovery all the groups of riders that passed by stopped and made sure I was ok. So it was over the tank with the Panniers (she's a wide ship now) stash the tent sleeping bag and bed in the bush (no weight on the subframe) use on of the tie down that steady the panniers to pull the sub frame up nice and slowly to line up the header pipes and then hold up the show for the rest of the ride directly home. It's one time I'm thankfull that I'm a steady as she goes rider and not some crazy young holigan.
Thanks to all I rode with and thoughs I met for a good weekend.
Baldy
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #11
Dockstrada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Hey , any plans for another trip this year looks like fun
Dockstrada is offline   Reply With Quote