Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Willfrey
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar
This is also the first time I have actually heard anyone call a "creek" a "crick" outside of watching Dukes of Hazard.
Cool
Great RR!

I grew up in Lowell, and 'crick' seems very localized, since I moved I've never heard it outside the Lowell/Kooskia/Elk City area.
Willfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
outpostbabu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Great ride report! I love to see big trips taken on "little" bikes like the KLX. That's where the great adventures are. Will have to get me one of those one day!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
Hipshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I live in Montana and a crick is something you get in your back.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 797
Excellent RR so far and fantastic pics but then again I'm bias since I also own a KLX!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #20
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Thanks for the comments.
I like the freedom of riding a lighter bike, especially when you are riding solo.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
PNW Buttercup
Dancing with dirt roads..

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
I live in Montana and a crick is something you get in your back.
hmm... funny that, I always thought Crick/Creek defined the size of the body of water....

if it trickled and babbled it was a CRICK.... If if flowed and rolled it was a Creek... depth had a lot to do with it to.... nothin' like goin' down to the crick for a little fishing....

... and I grew up in Montana.
PNW Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

The next day started as usual, oatmeal, I like to call it porridge but it makes it sound like I grew up in an old english orphanage or something, so it's oatmeal...
Anyhow, I started to get my gear packed away and was loading my bike when I realized my tool pack was not to be found. After what must be very much like a menopausal heat wave episode passed over me, I started to hunt the ground around the campsite like my dog does when a rabbit has passed by. Around in circles through the bushes down by the crick. I realized that they were gone for good.
I sat down on the stump by the fire pit and stared at my feet wondering where the hell they could have got to. I tried to think of anytime that they may have come off the bike. I tried to reride in my mind, the long up hill rocky part of the trail where I met the disgruntled FS800 guy. I tried to think of the last time I had used them, and that was back at the river by Shoup, back where I had tightened my chain and rolled up my tools and then started packing my gear when that freaking little faker bird came along and disturbed my packing ritual. That dirty little whateveritwas bird. After a moment of grief for the tool pack that I had accumulated over twenty five years with special little homemade tools and spares and my very first set of tire irons made in India and a brand new tire pump that replaced the last brand new tire pump I lost on my last big trip. I thought about the wrenches I have used to take apart everything from Hodakas to Canams and Suzukis and Hondas. Then I thought about how lucky I was not to have had an incident on the last few hundred milesof trail through the Nez Perce National Forest, and then I realized that I could not go on without all the stuff that was in that pack.
I headed into Elk City and had a somber breakfast and decided that I would motor on to the next largest city in search of tools. It was Sunday, and that worked against me in this part of the world where people are more interested in doing stuff than buying stuff so nothing was opened anywhere I went.
I rode on being chased by weather patterns all the way to Coeurd'laine and finally admitted to myself that the trip was over for this year. I reluctantly got a hotel room and cleaned myself up.

One of the good things about riding solo is that there is less chance that mechanical stuff will ruin your trip, because there is only one motorcycle to break. You don't have to worry that your partner has taken the trip as seriously as you have, and built his bike with the correct level of care. The problem with riding solo is that you have a much less room for error and some times no room for error. That is what makes it so enjoyable, such an adventure. You need to make sure that you can get yourself out of anything that might crop up. Riding a thousand KM away from home in a place you have never been before without tools would be foolish. During the planning stages I go over all the subjective dangers many times, and also what decisions should be made in circumstances where the control would be lost to deal with them. When you go climbing you have a turn around time, a time at which, no matter what, no matter how close you are to your goal, you turn around for safety's sake. You deal with subjective dangers by planning and equipment choice. The management or decision is delt with before you set out. The decision to bail on the ride was pretty well automatic, so I didn't feel bad, I just hoped that someone would get use out of those tools and started getting ready to ride pavement....................
did I mention how I feel about pavement?

I went from this

To this

death rode behind me

all the way back to the pirate theme park of Winthrop, where I treated myself to a cabin by the crick

and a fantastic meal at the Mexican restaurant on the corner.

And a good nights sleep

I rode over the cascades in a torrent of rain and made the border at the peace arch with no issues and the 12:45 ferry. I was the last one on the boat, which alway makes you feel as if they were just waiting to see if you were going to show up before they left. Priceless because it was raining.

I got home and after a day or so I logged on to ADV and posted this

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618240

I have to say that this was the last of a string of kindnesses that befell me on that trip and I was at home when it occurred.
Thanks Rich to you and your band of rabble rousing Furious Basterds for going out of your way when I know you were in the zone when it is hard to slow down let alone stop, just to look for my tools.

Hi Ralph,
Yes, we made it to the exact spot - the Mike's can was the dead giveaway! We spent 10 minutes looking around and knocked at the door of the trailer up by the entrance but had no luck - sorry about that. We left the can there - it looked very inviting, but we had both just had a milkshake at the store (made by a very 'interesting' looking lady) and were quite full! That is quite the climb out of that valley. We thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Just received an email from Hacksworth (who we met in Pocatello) saying that he has updated the route...I guess we'll be going back next year as well to redo the new parts.
Best regards,
Mike's can in the background...very nice little pedestal for it!

And thanks for the stickers!!

I had a wonderful trip and I am already planning to have a go at the Tour of Idaho solo from north to south in the next year or so.

redpillar screwed with this post 10-02-2010 at 08:59 PM
Old 10-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #23
PNW Buttercup
Dancing with dirt roads..

Oddometer: 1,756
captivating RR Redpillar
PNW Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
Dekay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thumb Excellent Ride Report

Nice Pictures and most people are genuinly kind. Kind of helps restore faith in mankind, doesn't it!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #25
Revelstoker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
The pedestal for the can of Mike's is classic. I spent a few minutes over the day wondering who would spend the time to make a chair that could only be used for a beverage! If it hadn't been relatively early in the day, Bart & I would have stayed at that spot as well - it was a great campsite. Our pleasure to search for the toolkit - sorry that it wasn't there.

Great RR. Maybe we'll see you down in Idaho next year Redpillar...definitely a great place to ride!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,927
Wonderful RR!

I've driven some of those roads in my now sold truck. I've even done a few miles of them on my new to me bike. But you've shown me a heck of a lot of area that I have to get back to and visit.

Thanks for the story and the pics! I'll be riding until the snow falls, then will start fixing the bike up for next year, dreaming of roads like the ones you traveled.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Enjoyed your RR! Too bad the toolkit mishap happened, but it sounds like you enjoyed your ride anyway. All part of the adventure I guess...

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar

This is what I learned that day.

I really do think when you travel alone,
that it not only allows you to open up to others
but it makes it easier for others to approach you.
To make sure you are OK.
To be kind to others, to be helpful, what a concept.
Maybe a lost art in some places.
Not in the back hills of Montana and Idaho.
I know this to be true.

Very poetic. Glad you enjoyed our little neck of the woods here. Great ride report.

PS I say crick unless it's pretty wide.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #29
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for reading, and all the kind words.

Revelstoker, it would be a pleasure to share a few trails with the Basterds. I could see myself getting down there around the same time next year. I would also like to do the Oregon loop earlier in the summer as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #30
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,288
Great trip. Great report. Great KLX.

I wish my green '09 were kitted so well!

kudos