User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
vacantstare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Airhead airbox

I am very close to purchasing my first airhead, and one of the candidates is an early 80s r100. I like a lot about it, but one thing I hate is the plastic looking airbox. I know the air filter design changed at some point (79ish?). Could one, if they were not concerned about preserving the stock configuration, replace that airbox with one of the earlier design?
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Good question as a buddy of mine with a 86 R80 wants to do the same thing for asthetic reasons as well.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,111
Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong, but it can be done ... but you need more parts than you think. You need the two airbox covers, the two carburator air tubes, new filter, the long bolt, and several shims/holders so the tranny and engine block can 'hold' the case.

But in a word ... it can be done, and I do like the aluminum one's over the plastic ones ... but a word of caution ... the aluminum one's use a hard to find air filter and they are a PITA.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
I was going to look at my air filter this weekend on my 1978 R100RS, by PITA what do you mean? Hard to get back in right?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater
Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong, but it can be done ... but you need more parts than you think. You need the two airbox covers, the two carburator air tubes, new filter, the long bolt, and several shims/holders so the tranny and engine block can 'hold' the case.

But in a word ... it can be done, and I do like the aluminum one's over the plastic ones ... but a word of caution ... the aluminum one's use a hard to find air filter and they are a PITA.
There's nothing hard to find about the70-79 round airfilter and associated parts. You must have gotten some bad info somewhere.
Actually some performance oriented folks claim that there is better airflow with the early round style because of more surface area than with the flat airfilter.
Also the round airfilter is way cheaper than the flat one, and easy to find. BMW dealers have plenty of access to them.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantstare
I am very close to purchasing my first airhead, and one of the candidates is an early 80s r100. I like a lot about it, but one thing I hate is the plastic looking airbox. I know the air filter design changed at some point (79ish?). Could one, if they were not concerned about preserving the stock configuration, replace that airbox with one of the earlier design?
Very doable BUT, you should find the latest air filter housing (79)
that has the two breather hoses rather than the single one. Use all the associated plumbing from the 79 model and you'll be fine.
If you try and go backwards with the engine breathing, your motor won't be very happy.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Get a '79-only starter cover while you're at it. It will match the line of the early airbox and won't have the rubber hood to deal with-it has a cast in hood/scoop.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
vacantstare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Ah, I hadn't thought about the fact that the crankcase breather is in there. You guys give great info- thanks again.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,301
I've got one on mine. They flow more air than the standard box if you have 40mm carbs fitted. I fitted mine to sort out a jetting issue with my non standard engine. There are two clamshell covers to choose from. The larger carb machines have a perforated one to flow more air. The cover for bikes with 32mm carbs is completely enclosed and relies on the starter motor cover to supply air into it.

As mentioned by the guys above you need the starter motor cover to go with it and will have to mix and match breather pipes. The standard inlet tubes on mine simply swapped straight over.

You will need the wire clip and small cover from the early bikes that stop all the crap from the clutch being blown up into the air filters. Parts 10 & 11 on the diagram.

There are a few bits and pieces to sorting it all out but they are cheap straight from the dealer.

You do get more induction noise but thats not a bad thing.

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 12:01 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
I've got one on mine. They flow more air than the standard box if you have 40mm carbs fitted. I fitted mine to sort out a jetting issue with my non standard engine. There are two clamshell covers to choose from. The larger carb machines have a perforated one to flow more air. The cover for bikes with 32mm carbs is completely enclosed and relies on the starter motor cover to supply air into it.

As mentioned by the guys above you need the starter motor cover to go with it and will have to mix and match breather pipes. The standard inlet tubes on mine simply swapped straight over.

You will need the wire clip and small cover from the early bikes that stop all the crap from the clutch being blown up into the air filters. Parts 10 & 11 on the diagram.

There are a few bits and pieces to sorting it all out but they are cheap straight from the dealer.

You do get more induction noise but thats not a bad thing.

They flow more air? That is debatable since some think the later boxes flow more. For instance, the last road race versions of San Jose's Wrecking Ball had a square airbox. It was running better than ever like that before he put a pressurized box on it for land speed records. My own non standard sport cammed, 38mm Dell'ed, ported, and piped R100 jetted perfect with the square box. I even run one large and one small intake horn versus two large ones because the two large horns give up too much midrange for very little gain if any anywhere else. Of course, the air pumps are gone and I run my crankcase breather out the back door. I think the square boxes are easier to work on too. Looks? I don't think I have ever given that much thought. I guess they look alright to me.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quoting the whole post with pic clutters the thread up a bit...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft
They flow more air? That is debatable since some think the later boxes flow more. For instance
Sorted mine out a treat and all setup on dyno. Make your own descisions.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
Sorted mine out a treat and all setup on dyno. Make your own descisions.
Make your own decisions? + a Mcmillion. That is exactly why I am adding a different view on the subject.

Wrecking Ball had just a bit of setup time on the dyno!

Anton, I will try to figure out how to axe the photos next time.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantstare
By now you'll have figured out that it's a fairly straightforward exercise to retrofit an earlier airbox as long as you have access to the bits you'll need, and that for most purposes (perhaps other than racing) you won't notice any significant difference.

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom
By now you'll have figured out that it's a fairly straightforward exercise to retrofit an earlier airbox as long as you have access to the bits you'll need, and that for most purposes (perhaps other than racing) you won't notice any significant difference.
I don't know about that. The air horns and velocity stacks in those square airboxes are tuned real well for midrange. There very well could be a significant difference. You are right in that since he is just getting the bike, if there is a difference he won't notice it.