User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 273
CRF250L tire suggestions

Hi all, almost done with the stock tires and trying to figure out what's best to get.

As everyone else, I'm really trying to get the best of both worlds here, but to keep it short, I'm simply looking for a tire that's better that the stock IRC GP22 rear. I'm going for a 60/40 on/off tire, if that exists. Something that's definitely got a better tread pattern for on-road without hopefully sacrificing too much in the dirt.

Shinko 244's and Kenda K270's look like tires that would be about the same as the stock. If anyone has these, I'd like to know what you think about them vs. stock.

For something a little more roadworthy, I was looking at Kenda K761's, Pirelli MT90's, and Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara's. They all look like they'd be better than stock on road and hopefully good enough on the dirt. I'm really looking at the Metzeler.

Anyway, any advice on these tires or any other suggestions are welcome. Sorry if there's another thread about this already. TIA
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Neilisin
RTW by bike...

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
Hi all, almost done with the stock tires and trying to figure out what's best to get.

As everyone else, I'm really trying to get the best of both worlds here, but to keep it short, I'm simply looking for a tire that's better that the stock IRC GP22 rear. I'm going for a 60/40 on/off tire, if that exists. Something that's definitely got a better tread pattern for on-road without hopefully sacrificing too much in the dirt.

Shinko 244's and Kenda K270's look like tires that would be about the same as the stock. If anyone has these, I'd like to know what you think about them vs. stock.

For something a little more roadworthy, I was looking at Kenda K761's, Pirelli MT90's, and Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara's. They all look like they'd be better than stock on road and hopefully good enough on the dirt. I'm really looking at the Metzeler.

Anyway, any advice on these tires or any other suggestions are welcome. Sorry if there's another thread about this already. TIA

Hi there, I was looking for some answers myself regarding this issue. I have Heindenau K60 Snow-Tex on my UK CRF and am mostly if not totallly riding 95% tar. No ice yet so hard to give any fair review on how well the tyre works. Only this week i took my CRF out in the mud and it was awfull. (see video below of my efforts I'm the guy in front)

I will be heading up to Alaska on my American CRF in May and hope to be doing some trail exploration. I don't feel my tyres will cut it.

Neilisin screwed with this post 01-03-2015 at 06:30 AM Reason: **I'm the guy in front in the video**
Neilisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
Samtech79
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
The 244 is a really good 90/10 tire. I think it's better than the 270 and the lugs on the outside edges are a little thicker and they squirm less.
T63 is a great tire on the 250L, so far my favorite on this bike it's more of a 50/50 tire. D606 is also popular with many.
The only one I would stay away from is the trackmaster II, my 250L handled like shit with those. Head shake at 50, washed out on everything and the rear started tossing lugs at 600 miles.
Samtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
MT21 offer pretty fantastic on road and dirt. The only downside is that they wear quickly.

The 244 is a significant step down in performance from the MT21, on all surfaces. However, it's very cheap, and might last a little bit longer.

I suggest an MT21 on the front, at least. I have not ridden the T63, but it will probably wear longer than the D606, and certainly better than the M21, without giving up nearly as much performance as the 244.

If you do end up with the 244, 4.60 is the correct size for the CRF-250L. You could fit the 5.10 if you wanted, but 4.60 is almost exactly the same size as stock.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Neilisin
RTW by bike...

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtech79 View Post
The 244 is a really good 90/10 tire. I think it's better than the 270 and the lugs on the outside edges are a little thicker and they squirm less.
T63 is a great tire on the 250L, so far my favorite on this bike it's more of a 50/50 tire. D606 is also popular with many.
The only one I would stay away from is the trackmaster II, my 250L handled like shit with those. Head shake at 50, washed out on everything and the rear started tossing lugs at 600 miles.
That's great to hear how long would you say the T63 lasts? Obviously this is all relative on what and where you're riding it. But approximately if we're talking 300 miles or 8,000 miles would give me an idea. And how smooth is this on the highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
MT21 offer pretty fantastic on road and dirt. The only downside is that they wear quickly.

The 244 is a significant step down in performance from the MT21, on all surfaces. However, it's very cheap, and might last a little bit longer.

I suggest an MT21 on the front, at least. I have not ridden the T63, but it will probably wear longer than the D606, and certainly better than the M21, without giving up nearly as much performance as the 244.

If you do end up with the 244, 4.60 is the correct size for the CRF-250L. You could fit the 5.10 if you wanted, but 4.60 is almost exactly the same size as stock.
Also great to hear about the MT21 but as you mentioned it might not wear that long, an indication how long they last?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Road type and rider habits can make a huge difference in tire life. I suspect 1,000 to 2,000 miles (1600-3200km) on an MT21 rear.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

I've got a TR8 in front and 244 in back right now. The TR8 is fine, but the 244 is a step down from the TW302 I had before. TW302 was better on and off road, especially in sand.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM   #8
LivingLifeWell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Other option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
I've got a TR8 in front and 244 in back right now. The TR8 is fine, but the 244 is a step down from the TW302 I had before. TW302 was better on and off road, especially in sand.

I've used MEFOs on my KLR and GSA and very pleased. I can find a front tire but can't find a rear tire that's 120/80. I found a 4.10/18; will the size difference do anything other than increase the height?
LivingLifeWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #9
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
What sizes of T63's are people running on the CRF250L
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #10
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,063
>"can't find a rear tire that's 120/80. I found a 4.10/18; will the size difference do anything other than increase the height?"

4.10x18 is a bit smaller than a 120/80.
'Old style sizes' you want a 4.60x18.
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #11
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
What sizes of T63's are people running on the CRF250L
They sell a 120/80-18
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #12
Samtech79
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
The 130 will fit too.
Samtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #13
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
After numerous brands and types of tyres on my three bikes (Wee-Strom, KLE500 and DR650), they all now wear Mitas E07 tyres.

Great for dirt and tar, good tyre life too.. 20,000 km for my rears here in Australia.

They have a full range of sizes as well, my DR has a 120 rear, the KLE has the 130 and the Wee the 140.. all do very well.

For fronts I have mixed E07 on the DR, Dunlop 605 on the KLE and a Mefo Explorer on the Wee, with the E07 rears.
I like the Dunlop 605 best for dirt, the Mitas and Mefo are equal on dirt/tar for the front, but all are very capable on the front.

The E07 wears way better than a 606 or 605 rear (also way better than the M21 did), and marginally better than a Mefo Explorer rear.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote