Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #1846
Madimax
Adventure rider

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
What mirrors are you using in this pic? I'm having a hard time locating mirrors like that that will work on a 1 1/8" bar.
I got them on ebay: http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/Pair-Uni...d=857169316010

//Peter
Madimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #1847
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
that is the same Tach that is on my 2008 690E
Right, but as he said, he wants to know if it will work on his 11, which has a dash unit off the exc's, not the 08/12 part.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #1848
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,169
first ride

So for some reason, today was the day my GoPro decided to quit recording sound???
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #1849
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
First Post..hopefully a Pic makes it thru

shit......can't figure out how to download PIC--obviously, it's a 2013 690 Enduro R

Hi to all,

1st, thanx for all your efforts: I've been gettin great info from this sight for the past few months. Took delivery on Thursday and passed 200 miles today (Sat). I'm a rookie moving up from Yamaha XT 250 I bought and dropped a lot starting this last December. Usual for me is ride 20 miles of asphalt twisties up a big hill; then catch 20 miles of dirt on either a West running or East running ridge (spectacular views); then 20 miles down (asphalt again) for home (Santa Barbara CA). I'm an old guy (63) trying to not get hurt. New bike unreal, especially when I put it on #2 Mapping and tore apart uphill twisties....still being VERY cautious in the dirt...REALLY don't want to lay it down.... much easier trashing the Yamaha.

Hope to share more technical stuff down the road: for example, there are some small differences 2012 against 2013: front brake and fuel line track in front of bikini 2012 and behind 2013. Touratech windscreen ONLY works for lines BEHIND screen...

adios--stan
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #1850
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Welcome Stan - I ride mine about like you suggest you do. The bike gets a lot better with miles. Mine is smooth now at 3500.

I really like the tires, but I have had the back end step out on me in the paved twisty's. Both on the brakes and on the gas, so be a little cautious with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSolace View Post
shit......can't figure out how to download PIC--obviously, it's a 2013 690 Enduro R

Hi to all,

1st, thanx for all your efforts: I've been gettin great info from this sight for the past few months. Took delivery on Thursday and passed 200 miles today (Sat). I'm a rookie moving up from Yamaha XT 250 I bought and dropped a lot starting this last December. Usual for me is ride 20 miles of asphalt twisties up a big hill; then catch 20 miles of dirt on either a West running or East running ridge (spectacular views); then 20 miles down (asphalt again) for home (Santa Barbara CA). I'm an old guy (63) trying to not get hurt. New bike unreal, especially when I put it on #2 Mapping and tore apart uphill twisties....still being VERY cautious in the dirt...REALLY don't want to lay it down.... much easier trashing the Yamaha.

Hope to share more technical stuff down the road: for example, there are some small differences 2012 against 2013: front brake and fuel line track in front of bikini 2012 and behind 2013. Touratech windscreen ONLY works for lines BEHIND screen...

adios--stan
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #1851
Madimax
Adventure rider

Oddometer: 73
Went for a coooold ride today, now she's going back in to the garage.

//Peter
Madimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #1852
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
I did the exact same thing: picked up the bike, froze my ass off putting the first 28 miles on it, then tucked in in my shed.

sprouty115 screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 10:21 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #1853
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
But, the crappy weather offers a chance to look under the skin on a beautiful bike!

Couple of quick observations from yesterday. Don't know when these things changed, but they have. The fuel vent now plugs into the base of the fuel fill ala CJ style, and the top lip of the fuel opening is about a half inch from where the dirt will gather around the base of the cap area. The key in the cap still feels like it will break off. I installed CJ's setup.

I pulled the airbox off the bike as I needed to trim up some flashing for the UNI to fit well. With all the sides off, my cooling fan does not look like the one in the pics in the WIKI thread. Again, don't know when it was changed.

Also noted that the upper rad guard plastic that is still bolted to the radiator looks like plastic guard should pull off inwardly in the event of a crash perhaps without tearing the bolt out of the rad because of the way they relieved the plastic guard around the bolt. The bottom bolt and nut plate still look like potential rad killers.

I did change the routing on the wiring to the ignition switch. On my bike the wires were pinned against the right front airbox mount bracket by the main harness that travels through there. There is plenty of room to arrange it in a different manner.

My first KTM, and I found it much more akin to working on my race car, and not the other motorcycles I've owned. Really happy with the bike. Now if this sinus mess and weather would move on...........
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #1854
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
56 is the new 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
1 more day..... lol, Early Grats!
Looks sweet. I feel like a kid again. Supposed to pick mine up in Georgia around April 4 or 5th. I am excited looking at your 690. I am all over the place like an ADHD squirrel. Looking at stuff online to put on it. And loving it as Maxwell Smart used to say. I could maybe squeeze out enough $ for an exhaust first. Probably don't really NEED it, but from the advr threads it sounds like from the heat factor alone, it would be COOLER to have an after market exhaust from the git go. Just worry if that alone would void the WARRANTY. How long/miles is the warranty good for? From what I read if you just do the exhaust, you may get away with no mapping. At least that is what the Wings website said. Also people saying the FMF with a 15 minute idle sets up the computer/ECU. I have only had carburetors on my previous bikes. Don't know about FI ECUs, but am willing to learn. Guess I am going to have to. I welcome your comments about your exhaust knowledge with the 690. See ya.

Wife's not too happy about it. She's probably jealous having to share me with the Orange Queen. And when she found out how much $. She just does not understand.
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #1855
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
^^^ where in Georgia are you picking it up?
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #1856
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Mountain Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
^^^ where in Georgia are you picking it up?
In Conyers GA. They have another location. Just look up Mountain MotorSports. You may get a good deal through internet sales. I went through their add on CycleTrader.com. Searched KTMs and linked to their email. A day later I made the deal. That was on Feb 7th.
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #1857
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Got out for a little toot around today the eastern part of the Island. Got about 200km on a left over 2012 I picked up a few weeks ago.

From Newfoundland Lighthouses

kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #1858
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Took mine out for the second time on Sunday. Wanted to see how it handled in the woods*. So I found a track off the side of the road and blasted around the woods for a bit. Then started to head home when I found out how badly wet knobbies stop on pavement - not well.

Fortunately I kept my wits about me and didn't panic. The guy in the car in front of me (I missed him by skirting to his right), was definitley not pleased. The guy behind me wouldn't move until I entered back into the travel lane (he aparently didn't want me behind him...).

Took the dissaproving looks I deserved. Haven't felt like that much of an idiot in years.

* Couldn't believe how well it did. You'd never know it was a 300+lb beast.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #1859
Lucifer666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
70 bikes, mud, snow, crashes and a lot of fun :

www.lucifer4x4.com
Be Realistic, Demand The Impossible!
Lucifer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #1860
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Is there enough room in here for an SMC?

SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote