Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #2236
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Why is it called Hole-in-the-Ground Crater ... ?
Because its mostly flat terrain and it simply looks like a big hole in the ground.

Aerial

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #2237
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post

Because its mostly flat terrain and it simply looks like a big hole in the ground.
Sorry, that much was evident - Australian sense of humour ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #2238
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 489
where is it? can't fnind it on maps, just crater lake in OR
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #2239
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
I wonder how much of the vibes depends on gloves, and grip pressure. Into the second half of a 300 mile day on gravel and two lane pavement I noticed the vibes coincided with a bad habit I have of over gripping. Second 300 mile day, not a vibe noticed. Hands weren't tired either, which is unusual for me(refer to previous bad habit)
I put these on my bikes, really cut down vibrations.
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...productid=3036

It does fatten up the actual grip as it slides over the stock rubber grips. If you have small hands it might not be as comfortable. Mine have been on for 1000's km with no issues and at $12 it's cheap support.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #2240
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
One more from a trackday this Monday.

And after a little transformation last night

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #2241
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The 2008+ KTM offroad protectors are a pain in the ass to remove because they are closed in the back, unlike the older ones. You would actually have to remove the wheel and drop the fork tubes down from the triples as you can only slide them up.

Easier solution is to just cut a slit in the back, they will still be rigid enough like that or you can also use a zip tie to keep them closed. Some of the aftermarket guards like Polisport even have a built-in strap to do so.
I cut away the rear sections of the newer style fork guards so that they're easily removable, just like my old 2004 400EXC, no rigidity issues on my 390 or 690.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post

Adventure Spec skid plate, Lost dog center stand and HammerHead shifter.
Do you have a part number for the Hammerhead gear lever and do you feel it's much better/stronger than the stock part?

For those who already have the aluminium KTM bashplate and can't justify the cost of replacing it with the better GIT version from Adventure Spec, you can weld an extension to protect the rear master cylinder:

Using silicon sealant, I also stuck a chunk of thick closed cell foam to the rear extension to further protect the master cylinder, it acts as a buffer in case it takes a hit.

You can also easily fabricate an extension that bolts on using the two front mounting bolts to prevent mud piling up in front of the engine. I made mine as high as possible and profiled it to follow the curve of the header pipe:

Both were made from 3mm thick aluminium sheet that I had lying about, made a couple of cardboard templates and had a friend weld the rear extension in place (note that it could have been bolted in place also). Both work very well for minimal cost. I've kept an eye on engine temp thinking the front guard would make it run hotter but I've yet to see a difference.

Possu screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 04:06 AM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #2242
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
horn

Possu, move a horn away from exhaust pipe or it will fry it (it did mine).
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #2243
Possu
de-nOObed!

Hi Francs, It's been there since new and it still works fine.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #2244
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post

Do you have a part number for the Hammerhead gear lever and do you feel it's much better/stronger than the stock part?
Here's what I ordered.
KTM1SL KTM TYPE 1 Shift Lever
[Tip Size:+ 0]
[Shift Tip:Knurled]
[Tip Color:Orange]
http://www.hdmoto.com/ProductDetails...uctCode=KTM1SL
What I like about them (other then being beefier)is they fit my feet so make sure you order the correct offset for your boot size.

They shipped out the next day and unfortunately the Brake lever won't work on the 690 so I had to send mine back and am now looking at alternatives.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #2245
Possu
de-nOObed!

Thanks DuctTape.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #2246
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Compare Guard-It $250 VS Flatlanders

Quote:
Stage 1 is complete for my 2013 690. Most of the things done are also done to my 990 so the transition, comfort and feel will be sort of the same between the two.

Black Dog Cycle Works pegs. (Ya need to do some modifying for them to work but well worth it.)

Like I said, well worth it!

Cj Design filler.

Scotts antivibration damper setup, Flexx 12 enduro high bar, Highway Dirt Bikes hand guard and Enduristan SANDSTORM 2 SPORT which when extended will haul the longneck version of your favorite adult beverage.

Took her for a 100 mile shakedown Sunday and I'm very happy with the changes.
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #2247
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Compare Guard-It $250 VS Flatlanders $99 + Touratech Rear M.C. probector $40

Quote:
Stage 1 is complete for my 2013 690. Most of the things done are also done to my 990 so the transition, comfort and feel will be sort of the same between the two.

Black Dog Cycle Works pegs. (Ya need to do some modifying for them to work but well worth it.)

Like I said, well worth it!

Cj Design filler.

Scotts antivibration damper setup, Flexx 12 enduro high bar, Highway Dirt Bikes hand guard and Enduristan SANDSTORM 2 SPORT which when extended will haul the longneck version of your favorite adult beverage.

Took her for a 100 mile shakedown Sunday and I'm very happy with the changes.
C looks stout, brother.

Can you compare the Guard-It vs Flatlanders (cheaper). It looks like you would need to add a rear master cylinder protector for any comparison. Only one I have see is the Touratech on KTM Twins about $40. Are there other rear mc protectors to choose from. I am not a mechanic/welder. Just an old dude that likes to ride in the boonies and not a lot of $.

ALSO, the center stand website says best to use the Flatlanders to avoid mods. Can you mount the rear master cylinder protector with the Flatlanders and Black Dog Center Stand? Just trying to save a couple $. But If $110 makes a big difference, it's not a lot of money. Thanks guys, Mako
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #2248
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
C looks stout, brother.

Can you compare the Guard-It vs Flatlanders (cheaper). It looks like you would need to add a rear master cylinder protector for any comparison. Only one I have see is the Touratech on KTM Twins about $40. Are there other rear mc protectors to choose from. I am not a mechanic/welder. Just an old dude that likes to ride in the boonies and not a lot of $.

ALSO, the center stand website says best to use the Flatlanders to avoid mods. Can you mount the rear master cylinder protector with the Flatlanders and Black Dog Center Stand? Just trying to save a couple $. But If $110 makes a big difference, it's not a lot of money. Thanks guys, Mako
I ride in very Rocky terrain and alone so the Adventure-Spec guard is cheap insurance and was purchased before the Lost Dog center stand. (Which is very, very beefy and easy to install. Martin did a great job on it and don't hesitate to email him he's a great guy! lostdogproducts@gmail.com )

I did have to do some grinding/cutting on the back of the bash plate so the center stand would fit.

The flatlander also looks to be beefy (Not sure of coverage but Martin of Lost Dog Products might be able to help?) I also don't know what an aluminum welder would charge to weld a flange on the back of it to cover the master cylinder but it could save you some $$.

As for the Tour Tech it just didn't look like enough coverage for where I ride but for Florida might just be okay.

Good Luck!
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #2249
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Thanks DuctTape.
Not a problem and I really like your handy work!
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 05-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #2250
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Anyone have a need for a kouba 1 5/8" lowering link or an fmf apex exhaust?
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80

palmstatecrawler screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 04:46 PM
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote