Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #2251
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465

'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #2252
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,398
Nice pic!
Anybody know the difference in length between the standard & tall stands? It seems Martin is out enjoying his bike and unable to answer my question until next week. I wish I was riding.

I have a 690R with a 1" Kouba link. I'm thinking I'm about 1/2 way between. Should I go for the tall stand to error on the long side?
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #2253
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Nice pic!
Anybody know the difference in length between the standard & tall stands? It seems Martin is out enjoying his bike and unable to answer my question until next week. I wish I was riding.

I have a 690R with a 1" Kouba link. I'm thinking I'm about 1/2 way between. Should I go for the tall stand to error on the long side?
I can tell you that on my stock 2013 she's not off the ground by very much. I can go measure and take a pic if you'd like?

Just checked and the rear tire is 5/8th of an inch off the ground and these tires are pretty new.

The 2011 ground clearance was 12.6 inches and the 2013 is 11.8 if that helps. By the way it looks like Palmstatecrawler up above has the taller stand installed.
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 05:39 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #2254
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, ducttape is correct. I have that 1 5/8" link on it with the standard length stand. I had him send me an extra set of pads in case I wanted to shorten it. The rear tire is probably 3" off the ground so i'm thinking the 1" would be right around 2" off the ground.

**I am trying to sell that 1 5/8" link so I can get the 1". I'm 5'10" and it works great! Very happy with the height but I want to give the 1" a try. Also have an fmf apex like new for sale. Shoot me a pm if interested.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #2255
mudder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Yesterday we drove about 300 km gravel roads and trails and all five of us had a KTM 690.

A pic taken before, we all got dusty.
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #2256
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Question Why a Center Stand...

I never thought about installing a center stand on an enduro.

I bought my new KTM 690 and got hooked on ADVider 690 Foruns.

Now it all makes perfect sense to have a center stand on THIS enduro. Especially If you are way out there, and need to change a tire, or do some other repair. Please indulge me a few questions

1. Does having the center stand remove the need to purchase a motorcycle jack or stand for repairs at home?

2. How high off the ground should the rear tire be?

3. Any negatives to sporting a center stand on the 690?

DuctTape, palmstatecrawler and other inmates please chime in.

MakoRider screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 01:42 AM Reason: terms
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #2257
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder View Post
Yesterday we drove about 300 km gravel roads and trails and all five of us had a KTM 690.

A pic taken before, we all got dusty.
You guys rent them? Or do all of you have impeccable taste :)
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #2258
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,750
Makorider- I seriously wrote off getting a 690 because the thing didn't have a center stand. I've always had them on the 640A's and grew rather fond of the little buggers. Owning a bike without one-just like you said it'd be a PITA to try to prop the bike up for a tire change without one.

Some may say-eh, just find some rocks to use. Well, in south Louisiana we don't have rocks.

In Noah's RTW thread I saw that very simple adjustable height bike prop for roughly $30. I forget the name though, but it works like a champ though.

This simple little device rides in the tank bag of my 690 wherever I go.

Why add 10 to 15 lbs to a bike for an aftermarket centerstand?

Dirty
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #2259
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,197
id say its all pretty much a preference thing. Id rather have a few pounds of center stand than a chunk of pipe in my tank bag.

i figure around an inch is a good lift for the wheel off the ground, I got one of Lost Dogs "experimental" length stands and with my 1 inch kouba, its not quite an inch... im going to raise the forks a bit though and it will be close.

as far as a jack? eliminate? would really depend on what work you are doing.

negatives? not to me.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #2260
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
id say its all pretty much a preference thing. Id rather have a few pounds of center stand than a chunk of pipe in my tank bag.

i figure around an inch is a good lift for the wheel off the ground, I got one of Lost Dogs "experimental" length stands and with my 1 inch kouba, its not quite an inch... im going to raise the forks a bit though and it will be close.

as far as a jack? eliminate? would really depend on what work you are doing.

negatives? not to me.
Are those of you that are running the 1 inch Kouba link finding that you need raise the forks to balance the bike, and if so, how much?
sdd04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2261
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Makorider- I seriously wrote off getting a 690 because the thing didn't have a center stand. I've always had them on the 640A's and grew rather fond of the little buggers. Owning a bike without one-just like you said it'd be a PITA to try to prop the bike up for a tire change without one.

Some may say-eh, just find some rocks to use. Well, in south Louisiana we don't have rocks.

In Noah's RTW thread I saw that very simple adjustable height bike prop for roughly $30. I forget the name though, but it works like a champ though.

Dirty
I think you mean the Trail Stand great bit of kit - you can take off front or rear wheels using it as well as waxing the chain. Very easy to use by yourself as well.

There's a thread on here somewhere about them.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #2262
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Are those of you that are running the 1 inch Kouba link finding that you need raise the forks to balance the bike, and if so, how much?
I'm raised about 15mm. I personally run more SAG than most do. I've considered pushing them down some to slow down the steering for high speed stability. Right now with my 29" inseam, ground clearance gives way to touching the ground with at least a toe.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #2263
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Having the centerstand eliminates the need for any lift or stands. As for how high the tire is off the ground, that is subjective to too many variables. All stock it is about 1/2" off the ground. There really isnt a down side to having a centerstand. When I do serious offroading with jumps, which is rare, I ziptie a leg to the swingarm just in case. To each their own but if there is a centerstand for any of my bikes past, present or future I buy it. It just makes life easy and its nice to have a stable seat I can sit on wherever my bike is parked next to a cooler.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #2264
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post

Dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I think you mean the Trail Stand great bit of kit - you can take off front or rear wheels using it as well as waxing the chain. Very easy to use by yourself as well.

there's also an australian 'anderson' stand for $45 AUD which is the same / similar. Don't know which came first

http://www.andersonstands.com/tour_prop_stand.htm
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #2265
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post

+1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote