Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #931
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Can someone give me an idea of the long range comfort compared to my klr? Only looking for ergos, I know the rest of the bits of the bike are better. Also anyone 2 up? How would that compare to my klr?

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk
Agree with BackCountryCruizer - having the 2x4 redone is a must for comfort. That said, the seat is exactly how it should be for pure mobility when riding agressively. As for other comparisons to the KLR, there aren't any. The attitudes are so totally different. The 690 is a handful, where the KLR is a willing companion, the 690 is uncomfortable in stock form whereas the KLR is quite cushy, hardcore suspension, marshmallow suspension etc etc. Why would you buy a 690 then? Because when you install the Akro silencer and wring its neck, it stands up on its hind legs, howls at the moon and installs a grin on your face that nothing short of cutting your finger off can erase. Grin, grin, grin. Not the wife, the mistress, as they say.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #932
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Same here coming off the XR. So how was the weight/balance/power effect by comparison (I don't have the 690 yet)???
Both are 60+ horse machines, but the 690 seems to keep going where the XR geared out. Overall, the 690 did a much better job on the road. Off road, felt more confident with the great 690 suspenders, but the engines were less of a difference, both producing loads of low end grunt. I put the Koubalink in to drop the rear end 5/8 and slid the forks up about 1/4 inch, so it was in it's happy place for my 32" inseam. The XR-R always felt a little stiff/tall in the slow going but suspension was too soft when you thrashed it, so never really found that happy medium. Also got tired of pounding the kickstarter (no go button), so e-start was a real treat.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #933
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 45
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackCountryCruizer View Post
If you replace the stock vinyl covered 2" x 6" that comes as a seat from KTM the 690 is very comfortable both on and off the pavement. There are several choices out there. I opted for the Seatconcepts.com seat cover and foam. For less than $170 and virtually no wait time (they send you the cover and foam and you have it installed or do it yourself) the bike is transformed! I can ride for hours with no discomfort. I don't have photos with me but here's a link that shows it on my 690.
As to your 2 up question, I've never had anyone on the back so can't answer that.
Great vids, can u please give some more info on the 17" rim where u got em etc and wat they r like on the road?
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #934
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Thanks for the responses Lads!

Hochtouren
I live in Cowtown too...hang out on the adsmc.ca site and ride with a bunch of animals there, good group if you're interested, c'mon by. I really appreciate the response, I need to sell my wee Strom and will be listing it in the next day or two then I'll be actively hunting.
I was out riding my trusty DRZ and decided I'll be selling that as well, I just don't see the need to have both bikes. I'm thinking of a 350EXC to replace it with but not sure yet. The DRZ and 690 are close in terms of weight but the 690 will be a better choice overall. Anyhow, thanks for the reponses fellas.

Regards
Garrett
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #935
dibdob69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Heres me at last weekend Rall Sprint

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...IMG_0085-1.jpg
dibdob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #936
BackCountryCruizer
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
Great vids, can u please give some more info on the 17" rim where u got em etc and wat they r like on the road?
I bought the wheels right here from another inmate. They came off of a SMC. I had to replace the front rotor. 690 SMC's come with a 320mm rotor and the Enduro R needs a 300mm. The front wheel spacers are narrower for the Enduro R. You need to change the plastic guide rings and fork protectors for tire clearance. I'm running a 120/70 up front. Also need the shorter SMC kick stand. The rear bolts right up. I found that if you remove the bolts on the chain guide and slide it forward the rear wheel goes on easier. It's still a bit of work but I can change wheels sets in about 25 minutes from the time I roll into the shop until I roll out.
With the Pirelli's the bike feels like a real canyon carver. I've barely gotten above 100mph but up to that speed the bike is one hell of a lot of fun on the tight twisties. I'm running a 16/42 sprocket combo and the front tire will still lift in 3rd under hard acceleration. I run my suspension stiff and tall. With the both sets of wheels I feel I've got the best of both worlds!! Below 100mph on pavement I can stay with and even pull away from most sport bikes in the tight twisties and then put on my dirt wheels and ride anyplace I want to go.

http://www.youtube.com/user/650tom
BackCountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #937
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochtouren View Post
Both are 60+ horse machines, but the 690 seems to keep going where the XR geared out. Overall, the 690 did a much better job on the road. Off road, felt more confident with the great 690 suspenders, but the engines were less of a difference, both producing loads of low end grunt. I put the Koubalink in to drop the rear end 5/8 and slid the forks up about 1/4 inch, so it was in it's happy place for my 32" inseam. The XR-R always felt a little stiff/tall in the slow going but suspension was too soft when you thrashed it, so never really found that happy medium. Also got tired of pounding the kickstarter (no go button), so e-start was a real treat.

The XRR's top end woes can be altered by adding a header. Then it hauls.

The suspension is crap stock. I dislike hearing reviews of it being used without modification. It's nowhere near what it can be for $200 dollars in parts and fluid and a few hours work.

If you want more controllable power, a TM-40 does that.

More electricity? A rewind and custom made harness does that too.

People have to realize that the XRR shouldn't be comparable to a 690. It often costs less then the DR and XRL's. With a bit of work it's an all around great bike. I enjoy it because it's simple. I can fix almost anything that goes wrong with it on the trail, wherever that might be. No battery and starter? Great! It's not needed! I've kicked my bike with flip-flops no problem. Keep it simple is a rule I live by.

I know this isn't the XRR thread, but we're comparing a 10 year old big bore dirt bike to a new electronic dual sport gizmo and it still compares IMO, quite well. Shows a lot for the bike when you can buy them for 3-4 grand, spend a 1-2 more on upgrades and luggage, and hit the trails with near total satisfaction. In my opinion, with a wide ratio gear box (6 speeds preferred), it would be a stellar bike.

Just figured this discussion needed another XRR owners opinion. Probably didn't, but you guys got it anyways.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #938
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
IMO...
No wait, it's fact, last time I checked this is a 690 thread.....
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #939
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Boored while doing 10 min idle check...

My baby! <3

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #940
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Boored while doing 10 min idle check...

My baby! <3
Beautiful, Noyah! Now add in one of your blonde, blue-eyed, 5' 10" national treasures and we will be even less bored.
But, where did you get the Red Bull graphics may I ask?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #941
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Beautiful, Noyah! Now add in one of your blonde, blue-eyed, 5' 10" national treasures and we will be even less bored.
But, where did you get the Red Bull graphics may I ask?

Ebay!

--> My Movies <--

Noyah screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 03:45 PM
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #942
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
The XRR's top end woes can be altered by adding a header. Then it hauls.

The suspension is crap stock. I dislike hearing reviews of it being used without modification. It's nowhere near what it can be for $200 dollars in parts and fluid and a few hours work.

If you want more controllable power, a TM-40 does that.

More electricity? A rewind and custom made harness does that too.

People have to realize that the XRR shouldn't be comparable to a 690. It often costs less then the DR and XRL's. With a bit of work it's an all around great bike. I enjoy it because it's simple. I can fix almost anything that goes wrong with it on the trail, wherever that might be. No battery and starter? Great! It's not needed! I've kicked my bike with flip-flops no problem. Keep it simple is a rule I live by.

I know this isn't the XRR thread, but we're comparing a 10 year old big bore dirt bike to a new electronic dual sport gizmo and it still compares IMO, quite well. Shows a lot for the bike when you can buy them for 3-4 grand, spend a 1-2 more on upgrades and luggage, and hit the trails with near total satisfaction. In my opinion, with a wide ratio gear box (6 speeds preferred), it would be a stellar bike.

Just figured this discussion needed another XRR owners opinion. Probably didn't, but you guys got it anyways.
Hit a nerve... no disrespect to the BRP, an awesome machine ahead of its time. I had the full White Bros exhaust on it so I know it hauled, just missing a gear is all. Fact is, just giving a comparo to answer the question. I only got rid of mine when I started adding up the potential $ required to make it street legal etc etc. The 690 has a similar attitude but with all the new technology, so a huge leap forward in any sense. Also, if you were consistently starting your XR in flipflops, other inmates might be interested in pictures of your x-rays... kicked back like a mule on occasion. Apologies for partial thread hijack...just saying...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #943
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Hochtouren
I live in Cowtown too...hang out on the adsmc.ca site and ride with a bunch of animals there, good group if you're interested, c'mon by. I really appreciate the response, I need to sell my wee Strom and will be listing it in the next day or two then I'll be actively hunting.
I was out riding my trusty DRZ and decided I'll be selling that as well, I just don't see the need to have both bikes. I'm thinking of a 350EXC to replace it with but not sure yet. The DRZ and 690 are close in terms of weight but the 690 will be a better choice overall. Anyhow, thanks for the reponses fellas.

Regards
Garrett
Look forward to it - Beema Killa just lives across the back fence so we'll catch up to you I'm sure. Need to check out ADSMC as well, haven't been there forever. Cheers.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #944
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,277

I'll play

New to me 690R had shipped from from Cali. Only had 79 miles on the ticker

PO did all the dirty work for me - nuthin left to do but put a foam filter in - he even loaded it with a Leo exhaust
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #945
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Hochtouren

Regards
Garrett
Just a heads-up Dave at A&E in Brooks has 690's - good guy. Happy hunting.