Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Well I guess I'm just lucky that when my lady says something to me, it is usually worth hearing

...I have to say that cos she stalks me on here

Cheers
Clint
Stalk is such a strong word, I prefer to think of it as 'appreciation'

And the comms system was your idea.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
BUSTED

booger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
clintnz OP
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,389
Some pics, radio mounted to bike & wired in:

Car charger cut down & wired through a 2A fuse to the relay I fitted a while back to run my hot grips & other future gadgets. This relay has a fused heavier feed direct from the battery & is switched from the park light.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #19
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
On first inspection I thought the radios would run off the supplied car chargers without batteries, It turns out they will power up & receive, but shut down, beep angrily & flash the light on the charger if one tries to transmit. Obviously the wee charger doesn't have the amps to power a broadcast.
Clint, my Uniden specifically states NOT to transmit if it is externally powered. No one I asked can tell me why but..........
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
stresssolutions
n00b

Oddometer: 7
We bought some headsets and Cobra radios. Our experience has been......marginal at best. The microphone is fine, the PTT button is very good, but there's some short at the headset connector thathas caused one speaker to not function. 2 year warranty, so they're going back.

I'd suggest some sort of headphone/earbud use instead of speakers in the helmet....unless everyone has the same wattage radio, you won't be able to hear the low watt...like a chatterbox. That's not too clear...so I'll say that when both speakers were working, I could hear my wife, she could hear me, but rarely could we hear our friends with chatterboxes, and we were too loud for them at full power; they use custom molded earplug speakers.
stresssolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,107
this is my system....

motarola headset (mic / ear piece)

transeiver in back pack.

limited range but ok with vox on dirt tracks & noisy old KLR.

cheers matty

PM for more info.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #22
mrich12000
Canadian traveller VE3CEH

Oddometer: 60
I use my 2mtr Alnico radio in pairs.
New home
Calgary, Alberta
Show your Ham ticket. Support our troops!!
Unauthorized personal will be driven to the detainment centre in Zacharia district and made to look for IED's
mrich12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
clintnz OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962
Clint, my Uniden specifically states NOT to transmit if it is externally powered. No one I asked can tell me why but..........
I think it is because the wee charger can't provide enough current. A mo power 12V - 3.6V reducer will be cheap & easy to fit if the current setup gives any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresssolutions
I'd suggest some sort of headphone/earbud use instead of speakers in the helmet....unless everyone has the same wattage radio, you won't be able to hear the low watt...like a chatterbox. That's not too clear...so I'll say that when both speakers were working, I could hear my wife, she could hear me, but rarely could we hear our friends with chatterboxes, and we were too loud for them at full power; they use custom molded earplug speakers.
The speakers seem to work pretty well, better sound & louder than the earbud supplied, works with earplugs & less hassle when taking helmet on/off. A good quality earbud would no doubt give good sound though. This system really only has to work for Rosie & I, so not too worried about compatibility with other radios. I do have another 0.5W radio I may try out of interest though once I have both the 2W ones set up.

Further testing over the weekend had everything working well apart from the mic at speed. I may try a little wind deflector under my helmet chin next, if that's still no good I might look into noise cancelling mics.

Cheers
Clint

clintnz screwed with this post 10-13-2010 at 09:44 PM
Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #24
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Oddometer: 2,470
This may be a tad off topic, but lots of us have "unlimited" talk time on cell phone plans, has anyone tried a bluetooth and cell phone inside the helmet and just call your riding partner before you start your ride?

Just thinkin outloud.

Usually gets me in trouble.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #25
clintnz OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
This may be a tad off topic, but lots of us have "unlimited" talk time on cell phone plans, has anyone tried a bluetooth and cell phone inside the helmet and just call your riding partner before you start your ride?

Just thinkin outloud.

Usually gets me in trouble.
It's actually not a silly idea if you have coverage, even a simple setup with the ph mounted on the bars so you can just hit the speed dial button, ph set to auto-answer & a speaker & mic setup like I've built might work, most ph's these days come with a lil earbud & mic on a wire.

Trouble is, many of our adventures take place far, far out of cellphone coverage.

Cheers
Clint

Old 10-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #26
Navy CWO
Salty

Oddometer: 192
MotoComm Anyone?

My wife and I have been using a Motorola FRS handi-talki and a set of earphones attached to the inside of the helmet with a small boom microphone fro MotoComm. Seems to work pretty good up to about 65mph. After that you have to duck down in back of the windscreen to hear the other person's transmission. We've used this system for about 2years. Only problem is the wires into the mic and headphone speakers are DELICATE, so I put a dab of RTV on them where they meet the speaker foam to strenthen them.
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

This is my setup, I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Helmet-speak...-/350184892508

It consists of helmet speakers, a boom mic, and a PTT button that mounts on the grip of the bike. The whole thing plugs into a single pin Cobra FRS radio. I got a pair of the radios and the charging station at a yard sale for 2$. ;)

It works great and it's nice that its the single 2.5mm pin, so I bought a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter that allows me to plug it into my iphone or mp3 player to listen to music.

I recently thought it would be nice to have both going at once, so I found a cord that would allow both to be connected:

I hooked it all up with an older mp3 player and it worked fine. I could listen to music and when somebody would talk, the music kind of faded and I could hear what was being said. However that mp3 player was kind of quiet (even if the radio wasn't connected). I know that you can damage electronics by hooking them up this way, but I then tried it with my zune and my iphone and If I had those plugged in, I couldn't hear the radio or even change the channels on the radio. It was like it was frozen until the zune/iphone was disconnected. The only thing I could think of, is that the zune/iphone has a TRRS (4pin) headphone jack and the older mp3 player had a TRS (3 pin) jack. I know that a mixer is the way to go, however, I don't have a good way to get my mic to work through a mixer like a Mixit2 or Amplirider.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote