Ace bike.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #407
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
The dealer had no info about the luggage. Not even a part number in the system and I read somewhere that Givi was having issues getting the brackets from their supplier. Kawasaki shows the color matching panels on their accessories page but no luggage. No availability info on the grip heaters either even though that kit is shown on the parts diagrams. At least the service manual I ordered shipped right out.

I'd want to see bags installed before I bought. Some of the Givi brackets are tubing messes with the bags removed and if that stuff has to stay on the bike all the time it would make me less interested. No farther than I ride a set of soft bags + my tank bag would probably be enough and would fit the feel of the bike a lot better.

It doesn't feel much like a sport-touring bike when you ride it. It feels more like a sport bike but with upright ergos...
Yeah, and if SW Motech never comes out with side case brackets, the Bags Connection Speed Pack is a brilliant setup for sport bike touring..and water proof to boot Just a little pricey.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #408
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I sold my Gen1 FZ1 and ST1100 about 1.5yr ago and got out of street riding. I've been getting the bug back but no bikes that I could think of drew my attention....until I was turned on to this bike. The more I read the more I get excited. Got to check a couple out at the dealer and a friend I ride with rode one and gave me his thoughts on it. He's selling his VFR to buy one. I am going to buy one in a few weeks.

BTW, Ivan from Ivan's Performance has been testing mods on the Z1000 (naked) and posting his results / dyno charts on the FZ1OA forum. This was his latest update.....

Quote:
I just spent a bunch of time on the dyno with it yesterday and a road test too.

After all these mods, this bike really needs to be re-geared... at least a larger front sprocket.

In first gear, anything more than 10-15% throttle will instantly pick the front wheel up.... even as low as 2000 rpm.

In 2nd gear, anything more than 1/2 throttle will do the same from 4000 rpm.

In 3rd gear, you can pick the front wheel up by just sitting upright and a very light tug on the bars with no clutch.

Very smooth engine too.... The earlier ones were pretty buzzy when the revs were up.... this one is smooooooth.

This bike will gain even more when an ignition module is available.

Also the rev limiter should have been higher.

Ivan
I am not crazy about the color choices for the US, so I asked someone on Sport-Touring.net to chop the colors from red to grey for me. I LOVE this color combo and will most likely get an all black bike and have the panels painted grey to match this.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #409
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Can't read it, but this site has some cool pics of the luggage....

Just change the page # under the video for more pics...

http://www.moto-station.com/article1...ai-verite.html

number9 screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 02:57 PM
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #410
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Had the opportunity to ride a 1000SX on track on Friday at a Kawasaki test day.

There was a good mix of bikes available to ride (1000SX, ZX6R, ZX10R, ZZR1400 and the naked Z1000).

It was a tight and fairly technical track with no particularly long straights - top speed on the longest straight was about 130 mph.

I spent all of one session riding the 1000SX chasing a guy on a ZX10R. Could stay with him quite easily on the corners and under braking but perhaps the most surprising bit was that I could stay with him on the straights as well......he just pulled away a little at the very end of the straight just before we started braking.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #411
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Had the opportunity to ride a 1000SX on track on Friday at a Kawasaki test day.

There was a good mix of bikes available to ride (1000SX, ZX6R, ZX10R, ZZR1400 and the naked Z1000).

It was a tight and fairly technical track with no particularly long straights - top speed on the longest straight was about 130 mph.

I spent all of one session riding the 1000SX chasing a guy on a ZX10R. Could stay with him quite easily on the corners and under braking but perhaps the most surprising bit was that I could stay with him on the straights as well......he just pulled away a little at the very end of the straight just before we started braking.
That probably has a lot to do with gearing.. the Ninja 1k probably doesn't
reach 90mph in 1st like the ZX10R.. It should be a lot easier to keep the
1k in it's power band.

Too bad Kawasaki's got to name a bike a "Ninja" for US riders to pay attention. The Z1000 (naked) is virtually the same bike, and was barely
mention here.

I've noticed the same with my bike (the er6f, or the Ninja 650R) which
sold in huge numbers to kids who only read name tags (and who actually
wanted the Ninja 600, i.e. ZX6R).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #412
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
That's snakeskin? It looks like my mother's drapes.
yeah, it does....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #413
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
I got to sit on one of these - Nice. A much better riding position than the Sprint GT, which I like except I can't sit on the damn thing for too long. More upright, more leg room, still feels aggressive, but comfortable enough to ride for hours at a time.

In two years, I'll be out of grad school and looking for a new bike. I want to grab one of these and a new Ninja 250 for my wife, in that awesome dark Kawasaki blue they use every other model year or so.

Because I'm man enough to ride matching bikes with my wife.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #414
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
I got my 2011 Ninja 1000 last weekend and have 480 break-in miles logged on it. I rarely buy new bikes, and I have to say that refurbishing my brother's 1980's 900 Ninja really got me excited about looking at the new 1000 Ninja.

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.

The riding position, fairing, motor and handling really sold me on this bike. I wanted a bike that would gobble the miles with utter reliability, no stress, and comfortably. My Buell S3 has a similar riding position and wind protection, but I am tired of wondering if an engine temp sensor is going to fail, muffler bracket breaking, or a belt going south. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Buells, but my 08 KLR 650 sold me on Kawasaki's reliability.
I would have liked better passenger accommodations and a better seat on the Ninja, but then it might not have been quite as sporting a bike. I also like the one piece cast frame with no welds at key points like the swing arm mount. Combined with the body work that attaches without visible fasteners, give the bike a super clean look, very sculpted and seductive! I don't mind the Ninja sticker either as it is a nod to is roots.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #415
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I got my 2011 Ninja 1000 last weekend and have 480 break-in miles logged on it. I rarely buy new bikes, and I have to say that refurbishing my brother's 1980's 900 Ninja really got me excited about looking at the new 1000 Ninja.

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.

The riding position, fairing, motor and handling really sold me on this bike. I wanted a bike that would gobble the miles with utter reliability, no stress, and comfortably. My Buell S3 has a similar riding position and wind protection, but I am tired of wondering if an engine temp sensor is going to fail, muffler bracket breaking, or a belt going south. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Buells, but my 08 KLR 650 sold me on Kawasaki's reliability.
I would have liked better passenger accommodations and a better seat on the Ninja, but then it might not have been quite as sporting a bike. I also like the one piece cast frame with no welds at key points like the swing arm mount. Combined with the body work that attaches without visible fasteners, give the bike a super clean look, very sculpted and seductive! I don't mind the Ninja sticker either as it is a nod to is roots.

Sorry to revive this thread (or not) but I would love to know your long term position on the bike now, in retrospect was it a great sport tourer? Did you raise the bars and with what? Did the motor prove to have annoying vibes after hours on the road? Did you rreplace the seat? Love to hear; on the verge of buying one.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #416
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Active z1000sx/ninja 1000 thread is over this way:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...690296&page=58
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote