Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
Jgverd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Hi Jorge.

You are the first one I have heard of with issues with the 1offmotorsports hid. Maybe something happened in their production.... But I have had no issues with mine. What is your bike doing wrong????? Will 1off not just exchange the kit........???? What are they saying that's wrong?????
Yes, the 1offmotorsports guys declare problems with the supplier of the canbus ballast and decided to stop selling BMW kits for a while or when found some supplier with best quality products.... Unfourtenly my kit was one of the failer one...

The 1off suport offer me refund my money, they was very polite and with quickly response. If you visit their webpage you can read an announcement with the news tha don't selling BMW kit temporarly.

Regards,
Jorge.
Jgverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #32
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgverd View Post
Yes, the 1offmotorsports guys declare problems with the supplier of the canbus ballast and decided to stop selling BMW kits for a while or when found some supplier with best quality products.... Unfourtenly my kit was one of the failer one...

The 1off suport offer me refund my money, they was very polite and with quickly response. If you visit their webpage you can read an announcement with the news tha don't selling BMW kit temporarly.

Regards,
Jorge.
I did go to their website, and saw this.... Too bad... What is it doing on your bike... Does it not start at all....??????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #33
Jgverd
Adventurer

Quote:
I did go to their website, and saw this.... Too bad... What is it doing on your bike... Does it not start at all....??????
The low beam starts, when I run the bike, but after a second the lights go out permanently and the "Lamp" warning is displayed.... really too bad...

With the high beam no problems, it works amazing well...
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #34
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The low beam starts, when I run the bike, but after a second the lights go out permanently and the "Lamp" warning is displayed.... really too bad...

With the high beam no problems, it works amazing well...
I see...... Have you tried to switch ballasts.... Sounds like you have..... They are interchangeable..... Just to make sure all is ok with your low beam circuit on your bike. Sounds like the ballast is no good.... You can also try to put the high beam element ( bulb) on the low beam circuit.... Sometimes they go off because of too high noise.....and different elements create diff. noise signatures...... I am just throwing this at you...but bottom line.... If you have not already verified this.... you should...Just to make sure what is wrong.....100%.... So when you get the next set... you know what is going on...

Erling
Old 06-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #35
Jgverd
Adventurer

Quote:
I see...... Have you tried to switch ballasts.... Sounds like you have..... They are interchangeable..... Just to make sure all is ok with your low beam circuit on your bike. Sounds like the ballast is no good.... You can also try to put the high beam element ( bulb) on the low beam circuit.... Sometimes they go off because of too high noise.....and different elements create diff. noise signatures...... I am just throwing this at you...but bottom line.... If you have not already verified this.... you should...Just to make sure what is wrong.....100%.... So when you get the next set... you know what is going on...
Thanks Ebrabaek.

Are interchangeable the ballasts?? I don't perform that test. In my case they have different label, only one of them has a "Canbus... whatever" and the other one says "High Beam". I believed they aren't. Tomorrow I will perform that test.

If its so, can I use any kind of ballast with a "Warning canceller" conected?? that's correct?? I asking you because when 1off refund my money I prefer to buy a locally solution (I live in Santiago, Chile).

Somewhere I read that the Canbus ballast for the bmw canbus system has a different draw out current in orther to make it compatible with the bike computer... It's that correct??

And yes... right now I'm running the bike with the bulb of the high beam installed on the low beam...

Any other suggestion is well apreciated.

Regards,
Jorge.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Ebrabaek.

Are interchangeable the ballasts?? I don't perform that test. In my case they have different label, only one of them has a "Canbus... whatever" and the other one says "High Beam". I believed they aren't. Tomorrow I will perform that test.

If its so, can I use any kind of ballast with a "Warning canceller" conected?? that's correct?? I asking you because when 1off refund my money I prefer to buy a locally solution (I live in Santiago, Chile).

Somewhere I read that the Canbus ballast for the bmw canbus system has a different draw out current in orther to make it compatible with the bike computer... It's that correct??

And yes... right now I'm running the bike with the bulb of the high beam installed on the low beam...

Any other suggestion is well apreciated.

Regards,
Jorge.
First...... Do you have the parts that I have...pictured here in the photo I took from my install????

If yes you have the same parts...... then yes the ballast and transformer are interchangeable. If your parts are different....then I have no idea. Here is an option for you that will bypass the canbus.... That will work with any system. I did this on another bike that did not have canbus. It will incorporate some soldering of wires...and a few components.... 3 to be exact. I am not trying to suggest you use the defective 1off motorsports unit.... But this hook up should work with canbus. Here is the short version. You tap into the ac side of the stator just two of the three phases..... wire this to a rectifier....with a small capacitor that will then generate 12 volt dc as the motor is started....and turn off when the motor stops. You then use the 12v dc from the rectifier to the control of a relay..... where the low beam wire goes to the power side of the relay. What is then happening as you start the motor.....the relay will close and make contact...and as the canbus turns on the low beam a millisecond after the motor is running....the system will light yo, and draw anywhere from 35-55 watts. I know there is speculation that a 35watt system dont work on the canbuss, since it is made for a 55 watt bulb.... But mine from 1oofmotorsports only use 35 watts.... I have measured this myself. Hopefully I have not confused you you terrible...... But this is just in case...that you actually have something wrong with your low beam canbus..... The wireing I did on my DRZ can be seen here.......
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/467...1#entry4294022

Erling
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #37
Jgverd
Adventurer

Quote:
First...... Do you have the parts that I have...pictured here in the photo I took from my install????

If yes you have the same parts...... then yes the ballast and transformer are interchangeable. If your parts are different....then I have no idea. Here is an option for you that will bypass the canbus.... That will work with any system. I did this on another bike that did not have canbus. It will incorporate some soldering of wires...and a few components.... 3 to be exact. I am not trying to suggest you use the defective 1off motorsports unit.... But this hook up should work with canbus. Here is the short version. You tap into the ac side of the stator just two of the three phases..... wire this to a rectifier....with a small capacitor that will then generate 12 volt dc as the motor is started....and turn off when the motor stops. You then use the 12v dc from the rectifier to the control of a relay..... where the low beam wire goes to the power side of the relay. What is then happening as you start the motor.....the relay will close and make contact...and as the canbus turns on the low beam a millisecond after the motor is running....the system will light yo, and draw anywhere from 35-55 watts. I know there is speculation that a 35watt system dont work on the canbuss, since it is made for a 55 watt bulb.... But mine from 1oofmotorsports only use 35 watts.... I have measured this myself. Hopefully I have not confused you you terrible...... But this is just in case...that you actually have something wrong with your low beam canbus..... The wireing I did on my DRZ can be seen here.......
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/467...1#entry4294022
It's not exactly the same, my kit has warning canceller (capacitor) for the low beam.

Today I have made several tests, interchangeable ballasts and measure the current. As a conclusion I believe the problem is the maximun draw out current at start (when bulb is cold). If the bulb is hot, then the maximun draw out comes to something between 5-6 Amps, then staedy to somethin close to 3 Amps (measured in both ballasts). In that case, both ballasts works fine and the computer of the bike accept the system. But when the bulb is cold the current went to something above 12-15 Amp, then the computer cut the power and show "Lamp" on the display...

Based on that, the systems can work properly with 5-6 amp ballast to steady at 3Amp... I really think the problem have 1off is the defective ballast that can't control the maximun draw out current.

Finally, I will wait for the refund of the failed ballast and buy a ballast with limited draw ou current to 6 Amp... hope it works... If I can't find it, I will build it...

Regards,
Jorge
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's not exactly the same, my kit has warning canceller (capacitor) for the low beam.

Today I have made several tests, interchangeable ballasts and measure the current. As a conclusion I believe the problem is the maximun draw out current at start (when bulb is cold). If the bulb is hot, then the maximun draw out comes to something between 5-6 Amps, then staedy to somethin close to 3 Amps (measured in both ballasts). In that case, both ballasts works fine and the computer of the bike accept the system. But when the bulb is cold the current went to something above 12-15 Amp, then the computer cut the power and show "Lamp" on the display...

Based on that, the systems can work properly with 5-6 amp ballast to steady at 3Amp... I really think the problem have 1off is the defective ballast that can't control the maximun draw out current.

Finally, I will wait for the refund of the failed ballast and buy a ballast with limited draw ou current to 6 Amp... hope it works... If I can't find it, I will build it...

Regards,
Jorge
Wow.... They obviously must have switched to a low quality vendor....... There should be no reason for a capacitor needed to start the system....imho. That is just further increasing the increased amp draw on start up. Mine does not have that. It is interesting how they only put that on the low beam..... Perhaps to fool the canbus as it " sniffs" the current at start up.......to fool it into believing that the system draws close to the original 55 watts. Mine measured 6-8 amps at start for about 1.5 seconds... then settles back at 2.5-3.0 amps...indicating a 35 watt system..... If your problem is too high draw at start up while the charge is building........ I .... but thats just my crazy head....would disconnect the capacitor.. ( if it is an electrolytic....and a over 5000 mF) as it takes a lot of energy to charge it......and then as it is charged.....the draw drops. By reading your post above...It sounds like you know your way around electronics..... There should be no need for a El. Capacitor for start up..... Perhaps a return to 1off is the answer for you.....

Erling
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
Jgverd
Adventurer

Quote:
Wow.... They obviously must have switched to a low quality vendor....... There should be no reason for a capacitor needed to start the system....imho. That is just further increasing the increased amp draw on start up. Mine does not have that. It is interesting how they only put that on the low beam..... Perhaps to fool the canbus as it " sniffs" the current at start up.......to fool it into believing that the system draws close to the original 55 watts. Mine measured 6-8 amps at start for about 1.5 seconds... then settles back at 2.5-3.0 amps...indicating a 35 watt system..... If your problem is too high draw at start up while the charge is building........ I .... but thats just my crazy head....would disconnect the capacitor.. ( if it is an electrolytic....and a over 5000 mF) as it takes a lot of energy to charge it......and then as it is charged.....the draw drops. By reading your post above...It sounds like you know your way around electronics..... There should be no need for a El. Capacitor for start up..... Perhaps a return to 1off is the answer for you.....
Yeah, I know something about electronics... I'm electrical engineer...

I'm agree with you about the capacitor, the only reason to be there I think is to decrease flicker or ripple on the wave. But this solution is for bad quality ballast, because I read the good ones have a very nice current wave and don't need anything else.

Thanks ebrabaek, I will buy another kit when my money comes back and post the solution.

Regards,
Jorge.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #40
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I know something about electronics... I'm electrical engineer...

I'm agree with you about the capacitor, the only reason to be there I think is to decrease flicker or ripple on the wave. But this solution is for bad quality ballast, because I read the good ones have a very nice current wave and don't need anything else.

Thanks ebrabaek, I will buy another kit when my money comes back and post the solution.

Regards,
Jorge.
... I had a feeling you were one with the electrons......... I agree ..it sounds like a bad patch on the ballast.... But it must be really bad for them to single source a capacitor.....ouch.... Hopefully your next kit will work better for you..... It has been a joy discussing this with you.....

Erling
Old 02-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #41
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So as I am removing the HID's, along with the stock headlight, I wanted to share a picture of the reflector. This is after one year of stock halogen, and 4 years of 1offmotorsports HID both high, and low. As you can see, no burn, so it must depend on what you have in there. In case you wonder what's next......

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949211

Erling