User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
stj OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Another F650 wont start

Hey Guys, I have read all the previous posts about battery voltage, fuel pressure controller, bad gas and fuel pump failure. This is my problem... bike runs great , 2-3 hour ride. Stop for whatever reason, wont go, turns over etc. pull the red wire off the battery for 10 minutes, replace and off we go. Every time... getting annoying. Is there a fault code that I am resetting every time I pull the battery?
Otherwise it runs great??
Suggestions?
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,478
Interesting.

Need more info like what year, mileage and what part of the world you're in.

What if you wait for 10 mins without pulling the battery wire off? Is it a heat related thing where letting it cool for a bit helps? When it does start, does it start normal like nothing happened?

Disconnecting the battery does a number of things like losing your date and time but also some adaptation values. That's why more specifics are needed.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
stj OP
n00b

2009 , 13000 KM Ontario Canada. I really thought it was the battery but a full charge didn't make a difference. Not heat related, it happens after short rides as well. Disconnecting the battery seems to do the trick. There does sound like an extra noise that is in the sequence when I turn the key on after the battery disconnect. Wish I knew the sequence.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here

OK so what area of Ontario? Close to me?

That noise you hear is the idle control solenoid sorting itself out after the disconnect. It may need to be readapted with a GS911 or at the Dealer. Try opening the throttle a hair as you try to start it. If that works then it again points to the IAC. Do you have a silver or black Fuel Pump Controller under your seat?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
stj OP
n00b

Opening the throttle did nothing, strangely the battery trick didn't work this time. road it earlier and pulled it when I got home. maybe it quite good this time. Fuel pump controller? Is this on the pump cap or next to it. I read a post about fuel pressure controller behind small panel by your right knee. that one did nothing.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
stj OP
n00b

Can anyone tell me the sequence of all the actions when you turn on the key. Trying to figure out which one is missing.It is definitely different when it doesn't start.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

The only thing you need to worry about when you turn the key on is whether the fuel pump runs for ~1 sec. Take your seat off and put your ear to the pump. Turn the key and listen. If this doesn't happen and the bike doesn't start then it's likely your Fuel Pump Controller which is the triangular thing with the plug on it.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,102
My opinion, after a ton of work on mine, is that it is a coefficient of themal expansion thing in the head.