Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #181
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Some believe that the dribbles that spill out of the tank when trying to fill it 100% lead to the cracks.

I simply don't know. Disturbingly, neither do the engineers at BMW!
Not likely. Mine is cracked on both sides.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #182
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
I'm confused..... is the actual fuel tank cracking on these bikes, or is it the tank cover?

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #183
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Cover
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #184
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Not likely. Mine is cracked on both sides.
Thus the spilled fuel hypothesis is deprecated. That's the way science works!

Next up: simple fatigue causing material separation. We're considering the cumulative effects of a mass greater than 13 kilos times acceleration supported by an upper bridge and a lower stay.

Do you ride brutally off-pavement?

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #185
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thus the spilled fuel hypothesis is deprecated. That's the way science works!

Next up: simple fatigue causing material separation. We're considering the cumulative effects of a mass greater than 13 kilos times acceleration supported by an upper bridge and a lower stay.

Do you ride brutally off-pavement?
My bike is only 4 months out of the showroom, 1000 miles of street beating so far.

It's obviously just a defect in material or construction. If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, I would say substandard plastics, or that the molding process causes a thin place where the separation is occurring.

Mine looks like little holes, as if the plastic is actually separating on a seam.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #186
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
Is it time for a decent survey on what part of the globe is prone to tank cracking? Is it a US thing or is it global. Lets have a tally.

My 11 doesn't have a crack. I never use fuel with ethanol. It is total crap and not to be used in outboards or aero engines ( at least in Oz ) for a reason; unreliable dangerous shit.
I have a poll running here that might indicate that the problem is more common on USA bikes:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...s-tank-cracked
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #187
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I have a poll running here that might indicate that the problem is more common on USA bikes:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...s-tank-cracked
That poll is rather telling... is it possible the ROTW models use a different type of plastic due to some US reg about the material used? Below is the ROTW tank, for some reason I can't access the EPC for US versions of the F800GS to compare, but there must be some differences to accommodate the canister - something that makes it less structurally sound maybe?

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #188
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 853
too late

A lot of our fuel is now E10 from sugar cane. our local motor racing class, V8 Supercars, comprising of Ford, Holden, Nissan and Mercedes V8's uses E85. It is a mater of time until the junk creeps into our bowsers.

Quote:
Ethanol is a poor fuel but has powerful friends in corn producing nations. Lucky for you, your nation ranks 65th in corn production. (Belarus grows nearly three times as many tons as Australia! http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?commodity=corn)

But worry if your sugar cane growers ever get organized--you'll follow Brazil's lead with 25% alcohol.
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #189
joew_33
n00b

Oddometer: 4
2013 F700GS - mine cracked too

Hi All, My 2013 F700GS just turned 1 year old and also has a cracked gas tank on the right side. BMW was informed today. All of us need to go to the NHTSA site and file complaints as this is a safety issue. Just go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and it takes just 2 minutes to fill out the form. This will get the ball rolling toward a real solution from BMW if NHTSA gets wind of this.
joew_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #190
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
My warranty runs out in November. I just scheduled my replacement next weekend. My wife's F650 is also cracked at the one year mark. Will wait until the warranty is almost up before getting it fixed.

IMHO, the bigger issue that should be brought to the NHTSA is the stator issue causing rear wheels to lock up (costs $900 USD for just the parts) while in motion...but wouldn't hurt to mention both...
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #191
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
While we're on it ...
The burned headlight reflector does not improve the safety profile of my night-time riding ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #192
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joew_33 View Post
Hi All, My 2013 F700GS just turned 1 year old and also has a cracked gas tank on the right side. BMW was informed today. All of us need to go to the NHTSA site and file complaints as this is a safety issue. Just go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and it takes just 2 minutes to fill out the form. This will get the ball rolling toward a real solution from BMW if NHTSA gets wind of this.
I filled one out for the tank cracks. Maybe it will help them fix the problem, who knows.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #193
BLUEBMW1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just picked up my 2013 F800GS a month ago, I only have 68 miles on it when I noticed the stress cracks. Reported to the dealer, BMW and the NHTSA. BMW acted like they have not heard of it. The dealer knew exactly what I was talking about.
BLUEBMW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #194
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEBMW1 View Post
Just picked up my 2013 F800GS a month ago, I only have 68 miles on it when I noticed the stress cracks. Reported to the dealer, BMW and the NHTSA. BMW acted like they have not heard of it. The dealer knew exactly what I was talking about.
When it starts costing BMW more to keep replacing then it does to redesign and recall, that's when they will fix it.

I'm telling my dealer to order mine this week. I was going to wait and see if BMW was going to address the issue, but after seeing this thread, they've had plenty of time.

Time to start hitting them in the ol pocket book. I'll order a new set everytime I see a crack.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #195
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
330 miles on new 2013 F800. Stress cracks showing up on both sides.
Dirt Rider is online now   Reply With Quote