Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Turtle OP
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 207
New Wilbers Shocks

Gidday all,

I have just purchased a new set of Wilbers shocks for my GS Adventure and will now fit the buggers and see how they perform.

For the money they had better be good.

Any one with experience of Wilbers?
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
Gidday all,

I have just purchased a new set of Wilbers shocks for my GS Adventure and will now fit the buggers and see how they perform.

For the money they had better be good.

Any one with experience of Wilbers?
Yes mate. Have had a set on my 1100GS for years. You'll love 'em

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
We have em on our 658's they are nothing short of amazing, and being tailor made at the factory to our specs and weight they worked perfectly right out of the box.

I also reckon you'll love em

edit: Just noticed you must are not more than ten minutes walk from us, if you need a hand putting em in holler.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,887
Thumb

Original sacked out on the Tiger (mostly 2-up) in 25000ks. Had a Wilbers with remote preload and damping done to spec and have never regretted the money.

In retrospect for my useage I could have saved on the remote compression damping adjuster but remote preload is a must IMO.

ChrisCrossed screwed with this post 09-30-2010 at 04:42 AM
ChrisCrossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 847
Superb!
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I've had a set on my MZ for over 40,000km. Magical.

Also fitted a set to a Kaw ER6n. I was not happy with it as it was very harsh, but it was the bottom of the range model. Blew the seals within 12 months. I think it was chasing too many big pigs over dirt roads (I'm in the BMWTCNSW). It sat on the garage floor for a year. Recently had it re-sealed, re-valved and re-sprung. Now its good. In fact, good enough to convince me to keep the bike.

Just a word of warning - the shocks are set up in the factory assuming you are riding on German type roads, and riding on dirt roads is illegal in Germany. Sometimes the setup can be too hard for Aus conditions. I suspect this is why the Wilbers for the Kaw was too harsh on crappy surfaces as originally supplied.

BruceC.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
jacksonracingcomau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC
I've had a set on my MZ for over 40,000km. Magical.

Also fitted a set to a Kaw ER6n. I was not happy with it as it was very harsh, but it was the bottom of the range model. Blew the seals within 12 months. I think it was chasing too many big pigs over dirt roads (I'm in the BMWTCNSW). It sat on the garage floor for a year. Recently had it re-sealed, re-valved and re-sprung. Now its good. In fact, good enough to convince me to keep the bike.

Just a word of warning - the shocks are set up in the factory assuming you are riding on German type roads, and riding on dirt roads is illegal in Germany. Sometimes the setup can be too hard for Aus conditions. I suspect this is why the Wilbers for the Kaw was too harsh on crappy surfaces as originally supplied.

BruceC.
Not quite true
Greg, importer at www.asr.com.au will have it made for you entirely as you want, just let him now where and how you ride, 2 up, luggage etc etc.
He will also respring and revalve later if needs change.
He has all parts in stock to do this, will also change length / stroke.
His # 03 59810165
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonracingcomau
Not quite true
Greg, importer at www.asr.com.au will have it made for you entirely as you want, just let him now where and how you ride, 2 up, luggage etc etc.
His # 03 59810165
In that case he got it right for MZ and wrong for Kaw. Both bought from Greg at ASR and he was given details. Guess nobody can get it right all the time. The packaging they arrived in suggests that setup was done at factory and Greg did not even open the packages before forwarding to me. I could be totally wrong, however. The story I got from Greg was that he just passes on my details to the factory and they make the decisions re spring rate, valving etc. If this is the case, then the factory could still be making the assumption that all Aus roads are smooth - or at least smoother than they actually are.

Note that I am not criticising Greg at ASR - I've had bloody good service from him.

End result is that I'm now happy with Wilbers on both these bikes. I am also very aware that I ride these bikes in conditions/areas that the manufacturers were probably not anticipating. I discussed this with Greg when ordering both shocks. For the Kaw I had a choice of 2 shocks - bottom of range or top of range (middle range piggy back shocks not available for this model bike). After discussing with Greg it was my choice to opt for the bottom of the range shock. I couldn't see the point in putting a $1,500 shock on a bike that cost $7,500 new, and especially on a bike I've never really gelled with. It means I can't adjust compression damping. Maybe it was the wrong choice - I will never know!

BruceC
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
LKYPHL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonracingcomau
Not quite true
His # 03 59810165
I was also supplied a pair of Wilbers shocks from Greg that were ludicrously hard.
After making at least ten trips down to Arthur's Seat without satisfaction I took them elsewhere and they were sorted straight away.
I have also blown the rear shock's seal twice on bitumen road riding.
LKYPHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,854
When you over Wilbers. Move on to a much better product. Elka suspension http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/45

I have had mine for 45,000 km or so and still feel like new. Nice and plush and take the big hits.
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
boeingbiggy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Have recently put the wesa shocks on my 09 GSA and it way better than the standard shocks. I now ride one up in single helmet normal or comfort on the road where i was having single plus luggage and sport selected. there is now a difference between the dampening settings. It was also much better when 2 up.
boeingbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
I have Ohlins, White power Wilbers, Koni and Hagons on my bikes .

If I ever buy another it will be an Ohlins, you just cant have too much quality.

Part of the problem with spring rates is that making them isn't a exact science, just yet. The 450 lb spring on the White power was actually nearer 470, and as a 430 / 440 would probably have been best it ended up a long way out.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Greg set up our wilbers for our sidecar last year . Done 35000 kms just got them serviced and the preload on the rear fixed (the fluid blew out).

100 % over the stock .
Cheers Ian.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote