Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
FLANKER OP
Be Prepared.

Oddometer: 102
new to s. korea- bike is coming soon

new to south korea. not to adv.
Does anybody have any advice for riding around here? any must see places?
I'm in daegu s. korea. My vstrom 650 is somewhere on a container ship coming soon......hopefully in one piece!
...also, if i need to, where do i get parts or service a suzuki around here?
ain't seen more than a Daelim 125 in these parts!
thanks for any info.

.....Tourists wonder where they've been, TRAVELERS wonder where they're going.
FLANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Bumpy ahead
Bumpy Ahead

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANKER
I'm in daegu s. korea. My vstrom 650 is somewhere on a container ship coming soon......hopefully in one piece!
thanks for any info.
Don't know how to help, never been to Korea. Any Korean ADV Riders here?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
Riding Korea

Plenty of good riding in Korea - lots of good 2 lane roads going East, over 2 or 3 small mountain passes. East Coast is a good ride, or go west to the coast for a shorter ride and good seafood. Find a group of riders until you learn your way around a bit.

Abundance of Harley riders, but also Dual-sport riders and street bike riders. Sunday riders congregate at areas outside of Yongsan, Humphreys, Osan.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
roterjin
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi Flanker, I'm a Korean rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANKER
thanks for any info.
Hi Flanker, I'm a Korean rider

Actually, there is a few riders riding vstorm in Korea, you can order parts from Suzuki dealer in Seoul. but you might wait 15days or even longer for special parts such as clutch or engine. and I'm not sure there is English speakers as well.

For riding, you don't need to worry about speeding ticket. as Korean police they don't take care of that. They don't have even decent vehicles to catch over speed riders. Usually speed cameras do that job, and it doesn't work for motorcycle.

one thing I can advice to you is that you should watch out where are you going, as in South Korea, riding motorcycle in highway or even we called Cars only road is not allowed. it's very serious law. Second advice is be careful Korean drivers, especially bus and taxi drivers. Riding motorcycle in south Korea, it usually means you have to survival on the road form car drivers. maybe you don't understand now, but you will see!

I've road motorcycle in S.Korea for 10 years, last year I lived in Florida Fort Lauderdale for learning English. and rinding motorcycle as well. so I understand how difficult to ride motorcycle in different country at the first time. so if you have any question or any help, just let me know!
roterjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Flying dutch
Adventures

Oddometer: 78
South coast of Korea

It all depends what you want but personally I like the south coast area from Mokpo up to Jinju level. Nice and quite places with real senery roads. If you want moer info have a look at the thread of Longwaybackhome as he made various reports.
Flying dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
BFMC Beaner
n00b

Oddometer: 6
A lot of Awesome riding here in Country. What these guys said all goes. I love riding all over the country except where I live which is in Pyongtaek.

Personally my favorite area to ride is up north from Chuncheon to Seokcho in Kangwon-do. Punchbowl and the Peace Dam have some of the best riding around. a little road hwy 88 halfway up the east coast north of a town called Hupo is nirvana along with Hwy 36. Eastern end of 38 is nice. 7 all the way up the coast is awesome too.

You'll have fun, trust me.
BFMC Beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Oddometer: 50
Hey, welcome to Korea.

I ride a DL1000 in Seoul and the surrounding areas when I get the opportunity. I have seen only two other V-Stroms on the road

For service, if you're in Seoul, there is a Suzuki store in the center of the city. I've gotten all my work done there and they are reliable and as thorough as any shop in Korea. If you want more details, let me know.

As for the riding, it can be difficult to find dirt roads, but if you like twisty two-lane roads, you'll find plenty. Search for the roads with 3 numbers. These tend to have the smallest amount of traffic and the most number of turns.
docjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
NPLR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I haven't gotten the chance to ride but west of Jinhae looks pretty gorgeous for riding. A few neat roads around my island, Geoje, as well, although I'm not sure its worth the ride down from Seoul to.

Does anyone have a line on any decent motorcycles out here? I landed here 3 months ago, its a long time to go without a proper pair of wheels. Some Korean friends recommended Bikemart.co.kr but I'm dreaming of something like the GS650 and I haven't seen much. Any recommendations?
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Korean Sites

Hey NPLR,

If you want a "big" bike (anything larger than a Honda CB400), you'll find it easiest on a Korean site. There are two main selling sites, bikemart.co.kr and passo.co.kr. You will probably need a Korean to help.

The BMW F650 GS is not a common bike here, so there are very few advertised. There is one on bikemart at the moment, a 2007, and they want 7,500,000 KRW for it. There is also a 2006 F650 GS Dakar on the site for 7,000,000 KRW.

I've been keeping an eye on bikes in Korea for years and that price is pretty average. So, if you're military and get a bike shipped from the US, you're much better off that way.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
NPLR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Where do you see the Dakar? I saw the other GS650 for sale and had a friend call, it was indicated that it was sold.

I'm not military, I work in the shipyards down here, but my company shipped my things. However I didn't think to have a motorcycle shipped over, oh well.

My heart isn't set on a GS650 but it certainly would be nice.

edit: Nevermind, I stumbled through Passo and found the Dakar listed. Anyone have any tips for buying motorcycles in Korea?

NPLR screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 11:56 PM
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANKER View Post
thanks for any info.

Daegu is pretty big, maybe they have a Suzuki dealer there. Worth a look. Are you here supporting the U.S. military? I'm in Seoul but PM me if you need any help or advice.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Tips for buying a bike in S. Korea

The first thing to do when buying a bike in Korea is to check out the websites selling bikes (bikemart and passo) to get a clear idea of price for the various styles of bikes in which your interested.

While you're doing this, check around your area for the best bike shop (most do repairs and sales) in your area...maybe one that other foreigners go to or one that services big bikes and others find trustworthy. Start building a relationship with that shop by going by often and looking at the bikes they are repairing, etc.

If you find a good shop, you can ask them to search around for a bike for you. You'll probably end up paying a premium for the bike, but you can usually negotiate A/S (after-service) with the shop, which means that they'll give you a short warranty on the bike (usually 1-3 months, sometimes even a year).

The other way to do it is to see if you can find a Korean-speaking motorcyclist who also speaks English and ask them to help.

Finally, be careful of grey-market bikes. There are Honda Africa-twins and some Kawasaki KLE 500's out there, but it can be difficult to register them because they were never sold by dealers in Korea.

If you're down by the shipyards in the south, I know it might be difficult to get to Seoul for a bike, but that will be the best place to try. However, even if that is not really possible, I would start with a mechanic I know named Su Seok (themechanickorea dot com). He speaks passable English and his business partner/girlfriend is Canadian. I know that he could help you find a bike.

Keep me informed and post again if you need more help.

P.S.- There is a thread on Daves ESL Cafe all about riding in Korea and includes lots of information about licensing and registering a bike. It is a really long thread (144 pages and counting with lots of repeated discussions) but it's a pretty good place to find out about all the good and bad of riding in Korea. (http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/view...08f1c435161bdc) If the link doesn't work go to the website, click on stuff for teachers, Korean job forums, general discussion forum, and then find Sticky: The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!

docjsh screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 08:52 PM
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
shogunl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I was thinking of touring the entire Korea by motorcycle.
Currently I own a R1200 and would prefer to take that with me but I guess shipping cost doesn't make sense.
What is chance of buying a decent bike ride it for 4-6 week tour and reselling it. I don't want a small bike
Is there any dealer who would consider something like that it Korea?
shogunl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Big bikes are pretty scarce here in Korea considering most Koreans think a 400 cc is a pretty big bike. I don't know of any bike shops that would do a sell and rebuy deal. Most shops don't have anyone who speaks English at all, much less well enough to work out that type of deal.

Finally, while I enjoy living in Korea, I'm uncertain as to why you would want to due a tour around the country if you didn't already live here. English is not all that commonly/well spoken outside of Seoul, so getting yourself fed and finding a place to stay can be trying at times. Also, it's a pretty small country. If you take your time, it may only take 3-4 days to drive around the whole peninsula.

However, if you plan to do the tour, you might want to ship the bike.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
shogunl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjsh View Post
Big bikes are pretty scarce here in Korea considering most Koreans think a 400 cc is a pretty big bike. I don't know of any bike shops that would do a sell and rebuy deal. Most shops don't have anyone who speaks English at all, much less well enough to work out that type of deal.

Finally, while I enjoy living in Korea, I'm uncertain as to why you would want to due a tour around the country if you didn't already live here. English is not all that commonly/well spoken outside of Seoul, so getting yourself fed and finding a place to stay can be trying at times. Also, it's a pretty small country. If you take your time, it may only take 3-4 days to drive around the whole peninsula.

However, if you plan to do the tour, you might want to ship the bike.
I was born in Korea but have lived in Canada since very young.

I thought that it would be cool to tour around Korea and see what it is like that is all. Language is not an issue since I can speak it and understand it.
shogunl is offline   Reply With Quote