Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
grimripper OP
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
GARMIN take note- tutorial DOCUMENTATION expected

I got mine late August 2010
ITS A gARMIN zUMO 550

It's a great unit feature wise, but i'm finding their documentation (garmin's lack of) dismally pisspoor.

I want to know what i can REALLY do with it, what all its functions and APPLICATIONS really are.

Unless you've really been 'in the loop' gps wise your stalled as there is NO good ducumentation available at your fingertips.

Even their website support page contains very little information on how you CAN use it.

Don't get me wrong though.
It does the basic GPS duties , no prob.

It's when you attempt to manipulate the (software) ie: mapsource with routes and tracks and shonky maps and tracks4australia and oztopo and the maps you paid for, and with the ramifications of transfer to and from the unit of waypoints, tracks, routes, etc is when it gets tricky.
user data imports, track/route segment jouning, deletion bklah blah.

I want documentation that explains the units functionality fully.
To the nth degree.

You want to do this - this is what you do.
You want to do that - this is how it's done.

What maps overlay what.
Do they overlay or can you only use one at a time.
How do you decide when to do what, when.

Why doesnt it do this if i select that etc.

Why does it tell me to take EVERY exit on a highway when i know thats just an alternative route.
There is no setting that says take every alternative route where possible.
Man, i'm still pushing shit uphill.

This is probably more than enough for most but i want to squeeze it's nuts a little and see exactly what it can do for me.
The learning curve is steep.

My gripe is there is sweetfck all documentation.

The GPS forums aren't for the impatient.
They're cliquey at best also.

GARMIN - How can i recommend 'The Product' if i cant/don't know how to/can't easily, find out how to even use the product, as the supplied documentation is beyond INEDAQUATE.

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
and good luck trying to get anthing out of their support line... if you ever get through that is....
Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
grimripper
iam glad your the same as me i dont know f' all about the zumo 550 and had a go at a route the other day but could not get it to up load as it kept saying ive got too meny way points. so how or what do i do next,i would love to get to know my zumo

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
I taught myself how to do some of the things you are describing like plotting tracks and routes etc on my Garmin GPS Map 60CSX. I was tempted to go and do one of the courses that GPS Oz offers but didn't really have the time available when they were scheduled.

Good luck, I am sure you will get there with patience

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,363
I mostly taught myself how to use my Garmin unit, and I got my information from the stickies in this very forum.

"The GPS forums aren't for the impatient.
They're cliquey at best also."

Not in here mate. They are informative and helpful, just like the inmates were when I had questions, both noob ones and more advanced ones, help was forthcoming and appreciated.

I understand your frustration with the Garmin-supplied manuals, they tell you how-to, but not why-to. I read mine twice and still knew bugger-all at the end of it, they are not user-friendly in any way, shape, or form. It made me have doubts about GPS in general. However, I read the stickies in here, which answered most of my questions, then just had to ask intelligent questions afterwards and nothing was too much trouble for these great inmates.

The learning curve is quite steep initially, with the concepts and terminology (tracks vs routes trips plenty of noobs up) but once you grasp some basics it's pretty easy from there. It sounds like you have already got some knowledge.

PS I use a 60CSx, chockers with GPS features but none of that photo/music/other stuff. Makes life simple, for simpletons like me.
GodSilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 264
Rubbing it in

Garmin's world headquarters and customer service desk is withing walking distance of my house, so it is a siiiiiimple and easy matter to take my unit in and get a tutorial and tune-up. If you are ever in the Kansas City area I highly recommend stopping by to see how friendly and happy-to-serve-you these people are in person. I am saddened that the phone service department appears less effective.