User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Leverbender OP
Adventure Now

Oddometer: 37
Ktm 450 Exc

So, after much deliberation, a brand new 2010 450 EXC followed me home today . I've read most of the KTM threads (including, believe it or not, most of the 690r mega-thread), but i have yet to see one thread that goes through the must have as well as recommended mods. Anyone care to chime in on their opinion of desirable mods - other than the normal stuff like the 2x4 seat that numbed my ass on a little 35 mile trip home.

Newbie lookin for some help on his new fo fiddy - any help/guidance/direction is much appreciated.
Leverbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Need more direction

What do you wish to do with it?

Then we can start your farkle magic tour!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Leverbender OP
Adventure Now

More Direction

Well, regardless of street/dirt mix, i want to get it breathing and running right. So, first steps will be uncorking it and getting the carb right (which i would love some direction on). I saw the detailed instructions in the 690 mega thread on how to do that to a 690. Is it the same drill for the 450?

Probably going to go with the Akra slip on for the uncorking part.

Street/dirt mix is going to be about 20/80. For street, I plan to buy a set of 17 inch hoops shod with street tires. I have heard both sides of the cush drive discussion, and still can't make up my mind. For dirt - by far the most duty - i will do the normal stuff: new rear fender so i don't rip the stock plate holder off, flush mount turn sigs so i don't melt the right one, new seat or a subscription to a proctologist, non-plastic skid plate, under bar dampner - leaning toward scotts. i have also heard that i need to do something to the kick stand kill switch. Other than dialing in suspension, that's all I can think of right now.

Oh, and if anyone has any good SoCal trails they want to share, i am all ears. Going back to the roots - grew up on dirt bikes, then went street, now back to the dirt.

Riding skills are A-/B+ dirt/street, and about 5 10, 170 lbs if anyone has a good supspension setup.

thanks again.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Maybe ride it a little before you buy a steering dampner. They are not manditory. Some folks hate 'em.

KTMs run pretty good with the resrtictor taken out of the muffler.

Go to KTM Talk and look for carb. setup advice. The 690 thread is not going to do you any good there.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Leverbender OP
Adventure Now

Restrictor

How do you take the restrictor out of the muffler? And after I do that, do I need to rejet? Or if i am dead set on getting the akra slip on - I am - should I even bother messing with the stock pipe?

Love this site - lpts of knowledgeable folks.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
I believe the whole 08+ decorking procedure is fairly similar to 07.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5702540

The link to the ktmtalk thread is just to 'firebolter's there and he has the exact same content here.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Seeing as my 530 is almost the same as the 450........

The stock suspension is almost as good as you can get, set it up to suit yourself and test ride. The only thing I've done is change the rear spring to suit my wieght (the standard one was only rated to 75kg)

I have the Ohlins steering dampner which is the same unit as Scotts and I don't think the bike realy needs it. The bike is very stable at speed and I tend to keep my wieght back in the realy rough stuff so front wheel deflections aren't a problem.

Enduro Engineering make good seats, I have the tall/soft but if I was to get one again it would be the tall/firm.

My bike came with an Acro and it sounds sweet, kind of like a dull roar but barks when you pop the throttle. If you go easy on the throttle it can be ridden around the "hood" without upsetting too many people.
I can't realy help you with jetting as mine still needs a little fine tuning.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
andrewlat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have an '09 530, but they're pretty much the same.

The "must haves" are jetting, exhaust, de-smog, and gearing.

For jetting, go for the JD jet kit. That's the most recommended, that's what I did, and I'd recommend it (as would many other people). Re-jetting is pretty simple. The JD kit comes with instructions, but here's how you do it:
1) Remove the seat
2) Remove the tank
3) Loosen clamps at front and back of carb (there are two at the engine side, go for the one closest to the carb)
4) Pull the carb towards the rear of the bike and push it down out of the engine boot
5) Rotate the carb left (facing the front fork)
6) Remove the screws on the top of the carb
7) Remove the lid
8) There's an allen head screw on the thing that lifts up when you twist the throttle, remove that
9) Take out the needle in there
10) Replace with needle from jet kit with pin at the appropriate notch
11) Reverse steps to step 6, then continue
12) Rotate the carb right
13) Remove the float bowl screw (big screw at the bottom of the carb)
14) The main jet is sitting in the center, remove it
15) Replace main jet with appropriate one from kit
16) Replace idle jet (it's to the left, I think, of the main jet) if needed
17) Replace idle mixture screw if needed
18) Reattach everything, rotate carb back to normal position, tighten clamps, etc.

As for de-smogging, there's a big thread on KTMtalk that'll walk you through the full de-smog. Since you're in Cali, you might want to stick with the stealth de-smog. I kind of doubt you'll get in trouble either way, but pick your poison. I won't go over the full de-smog, but the stealth de-smog is just to remove the hose going to the nipple on the engine and block it off with something. I think the nipple is on the right, rear side of the engine.

I just replaced my exhaust with an FMF Factory 4.1. The general consensus is just to remove part of the stock exhaust. I haven't done it, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. There are a number of places that will walk you through it. I don't know if it's worthwhile to go with a different slip-on over a modified stock exhaust.

If you've ever replaced the chain and sprockets on a bike, you can do the one on this bike. 14/50 is considered the best all around gearing. 15/45 is stock. I run 14/50, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. You'll need a new chain with 14/50.

I have the EE standard soft, and I'm happy with it. If I did it again, I'd probably get tall/soft or standard firm. Either way, you can't really go wrong when compared with the stock seat. I'm a little over 6', so keep that in mind when choosing your seat height/firmness.

I haven't replaced my rear fender, and my license plate shows that. The flush-mounted signals are definitely recommended, unless you feel like replacing those things every ride. I'd say you can get by without the new rear fender, but if you've already budgeted for it, go for it.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Leverbender OP
Adventure Now

450 Update

OK, spent the weekend wrenching and riding. The only wrenching really was replacing the stock rear fender with the euro package and getting some flush mounted signals on the back. It was a pain in the ass getting the wires to route properly for some reason though, and it took some time to reassemble. Also put a small moose tail bag on it. I figure I will keep the front signals until I rip one off, and then worry about replacing those.

Next up is canisterectomy. Thanks to the previous poster for the link. I will check it out. Once that is done, I will see how she runs and decide on jets.

I will post some pics of the new rear end once I figure out how to post pics on this site.

Any SoCal riders out there that want to share trail routes?