User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
vulgar1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Question Heated grip with heat troller install

I picked up a symtec heated grip kit and a warmnsafe heat troller to make winter riding a little more fun. I am looking at the instructions and I have some questions about making them work together.

Here is the instructions that came with the grip elements:

The heat troller instructions are:

The warmnsafe instructions say to tape off the blue wires (from the grip) and use the white wire (from the grip) for the HI only, and the red wire (from the grip). But the symtec grip diagram shows the red being a ground only. Am I being dumb, or is it really as simple as connecting the blue wire from the heat troller to the red of the grip and the white wires from the troller to the grips together? I don't want to mess this thing up. Sorry if I am being a moran.
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 148
Yep, It's that simple.

With a Heat-Troller, you have control all the way from nothing (OFF) to full on with just a twist of the knob, so there's no need for the "Low" connection.

To install the Symtech, I put 1" heat-shrink on the left grip, for some extra insulation from the metal handlebar. The right side has a plastic(usually) throttle tube, so doesn't need to be insulated.

Make sure you get the Symtech cards right - as in right and left - stick 'em on so the heated part is where your hand will feel it most. I add one piece of electric tape on the end to keep things together, then spray the bar and inside of the grip with her hair stick-um and shove the grips on quickly.

Don't glue up the throttle!

Remember the throttle side grip is usually a wee bit larger size than the left side. Make sure you're using the right ones!

If they don't quite go all the way on, then start back at the outside and slide some more before the spray dries.

Then you need to make a loop of wire on the throttle side, so the throttle action doesn't interfere with the wiring. I usually finish by putting a dab of super glue where the wire comes out from under the rubber grip, and glue the wire to the flange of the rubber. Yup, a bit anal, but haven't had on fail me yet!

I have them on two of my bikes, both using the Symtech. Good gear!
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
vulgar1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thank you. I just needed a second set of eyes before I started this. Thanks for the help.
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote