Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #2041
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Looks like your powder coater has quickened his pace. Is that flat black?

Looking good Kirk!

Jim
Thanks, Jim!

Nah, this run was 20 days of waiting. Yours was 15. J just got lucky that I was able to slip his job in a day before the coater was ready to run.

Dale does an excellent job and is a quality person, but I think he may be understaffed slightly for his work load. Plus, he does large Uncle Sam contracts, and I'm sure they take priority over boxes made by me. I would expect it to be that way.

I'm hoping as I grow and become a larger source of income for him that he will see the importance of doing rush jobs for me as well. I was all set to try out another coater, but I may have been hasty in that decision. Again, he's a great guy and will use him again and just hope that turnaround time will improve as I grow.

This is a satin-finish with a texture called Raven 2. I spied it on the HumVee dash panels they were coating and requested it.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #2042
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Thank again Kirk. They got the boss lady's seal of approval when I got home.

It didn't take long to get to test them against the elements.

Hi, Rhonda! You are very welcome, Kevin!

Glad you made it home okay! I hope to do some camping / riding / RTEs will all you guys in the coming months!

- Kirk
Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #2043
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Glad you made it home okay! I hope to do some camping / riding / RTEs will all you guys in the coming months!

- Kirk
Here's one to keep in mind.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #2044
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
They don't do that here.

Sorry, couldn't resist
For the most part, we don't. And I think I've been pretty plain with Mr. Soggybritches. So how 'bout we get back to the regularly scheduled program?

Ok Kirk - so you asked me to post up some pics of the progress on the Spanco reconstruction.

I am still waiting to order the missing beam mounting clips. I will call the guys back on Monday. In the mean time though, I thought I would dismount the casters I have from the cart they came on.

The cart is amazingly heavy. Not that the casters are light, but that cart must weigh 150 to 175 pounds. While I don't have a crane in my garage, I do have a 4 sheave block/tackle set up, so I used it to hoist the cart in the air and then get the sawhorses underneath. I left it attached to the block and tackle to keep it from hitting the floor if it fell off the sawhorses.

Now, notice the gas cans in the background. Last time I was welding in the garage, I totally forgot they were there. I made a mental note not to do that again even if I was just grinding.

This time around, I put them outside and shut the garage door. It was about 33 this afternoon, so I fired up the kerosene heater. Knowing that even just grinding, there would be lots of crap in the garage air, I got out the 3M respirator and geared up.

The respirator is a 3M model 7502, and the cartidges are 3M model 2097 for particulates and organic vapors. The respirator is really nice. The silicone facemask provides a great seal with minimal pressure. I thought I would feel really restricted in breathing, but it wasn't bad at all. And those cartridges took all the nasty stuff out of the air. When I finally took it off and smelled the air in the garage, I was amazed at how foul it was. I couldn't smell any of that with the respirator on.

Whoever put the cart together really welded these casters on. Beads down each side and underneath on the other side of the mounting plate.

I started with grinding the welds off on the sides with my big Milwaukee grinder, then tried to get the inside ones with the smaller Rigid.

I was able to grind off most of that inside bead, and then I switched to the cutting wheel and cut down through them.

In looking at the weld on the underside of the base plate, there was little way I was getting under there to cut through the weld. Just not enough room to get the proper angle on the bead.

So, I gave up on trying to save the cart base and got out the next tool.

Lincoln Tomahawk 625 plasma cutter. 40 amps. It will cut up to 3/4" steel plate. It struggles on 3/4", but 1/2" or less and it will cut like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

I started removing the little pieces to see if I could get a clear space to work on the welds, but again, no go. the tip of the plasma cutter was too wide to get in and gouge out the weld.

I finally just gave up and chopped square tube out from between the two ends. I will further dissect the two ends later and remove the casters cleanly. I would have liked to save more pieces intact, but it was just too much of a pain, and I risked slicing into the caster mounts.

After seeing the wall thickness on the square tube, and with all the plate, plus the casters themselves, I can see why the cart was so heavy. I picked up the two center sections of tube to put into my scrap pile and was amazed at how heavy they were themselves.

I have managed to identify the caster manufacturer and find a distributor who is shipping me a new wheel to replace the one that is broken. Should be here next week.

More to come.....

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #2045
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Off to a good start, Dave! Very nice work.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #2046
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Kirk nice job on Kevin and Rhonda's wee cases. Kevin it looks like there might be room for one of Kirk's nice aluminum tool boxes on the left side rack?!

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #2047
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Kirk nice job on Kevin and Rhonda's wee cases. Kevin it looks like there might be room for one of Kirk's nice aluminum tool boxes on the left side rack?!

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff!

A little bit from today...

"Prototype" bags going together. I learned 3 things by making these: the slip-hinge, the storage compartment lids, and that I can grind the lid welds to beautify them a bit witout losing strength. After learning the last trick, J's GSA's lids got the same treatment. Lower pannier welds will remain exposed for maximum strength.

I use a stainless bolt with nylon washers inside and outside the lid tab for smooth action of the opening/closing.

I can already think of 3 improvements I will make to the next set. These will be going on my KLR, so I choose the big blues! I really like the thick, clunkiness of them! They are beefy. Plus the blue will match my KLR pretty nicely.

I still need to install the gasket in the lid for the storage compartment lid. That will have to wait until next week sometime...

I am pleased as punch with these bad boys!

The photos look like a dull, flat black, but they do have a little bit of sheen to them.

If my racks were ready one day earlier, they would have been powdered. No biggie. I just spraybomb them. Will I ever take them apart to have them coated in the future? Probably not. I can show people how durable painted racks are this way.

Left hoop gets a piece of flat bar welded in for future tool box. That will also have to wait for sometime in the near future.

These bags will look fantastic on the old girl. I may even have to splurge for a nice Staintune muffler this year to dress her up a bit. She's treated me well for 5 years, so it's the least I could do.

Until next time...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #2048
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,447
Quote:
Those look great! I love the flat powdercoat and the ground welds!

Definite improvements!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #2049
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks, Jim!

rushing against the clock - gotta head to work - but just had to see...

"D" type bulb gasket applied to inner flange...

Storage compartment door.

This will work, but I still see a few improvements to be made here.

14.5 lbs all dressed out. All these little doo-dads may not be for everyone with the weight.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #2050
9Dave
Bazinga!

Nice!

dunno.....
Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #2051
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks, Dave!

Mounting the KLR bags...

Once again, Happy Trails mounts are used.

I've never had anything quite this nice for myself, so this is quite the upgrade!

Quite the upgrade from my very first set from about 3 years ago...

Next up - outfitting the GS in the background. After this build, I plan on launching an official vendor thread. I'm hoping that will happen by May 1st. The mods here have been very lenient with me posting customer's builds in my rookie thread, and I thank them immensely for that!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 11:29 AM
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #2052
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,447
Hey Kirk,

Just a suggestion. I would stick with your piece of angle for the lower mounts. It is sturdy and helps make mounting easier. It is also cheaper allowing you to use only half the HT mounts, saving money as well. That is how I did mine in the end. I also used cap bolts for a flush fit on the angle pieces, all SS hardware.

Your new bags are outstanding!

In time I will likely do a bit of work on mine to clean the edges on the lids, looks great, and add a hammertone paint/powdercoat.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #2053
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
I've never had anything quite this nice for myself, so this is quite the upgrade!
Wow! Just wow!

Those panniers are awesome!

Sent you a PM about your XR.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #2054
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
I can imagine the conversation now:

Some guy at a bike night or gas station or pie stop says: "Hey, KLR guy - those panniers are SWEET! They have to be worth more than your whole bike. What are they? Jesse's? Happy Trails? Micatech?"

And the reply is "Nope. They're Kirksters'"

OK Kirk - here's my progress.

From this

to this

to this:

I'll loose the other two tomorrow night.

After I cut away the tube so I could get at the mounting plate, I took the small angle grinder with a cutting disc and cut through the welds.

Those casters are heavy as hell, themselves. I can see why they'd support 6,000 pounds, each.

I did get a call back from the distributor today. The clips to mount the beam to the gantry legs must be made from gold! There are 4 on each leg, and they want almost $19 A PIECE! I thanked them kindly and told them I would go another route.

If they were a few bucks a piece, I would have bought them. But I'm not going to spend $160 on clips. That's what I paid for the whole gantry.

So, I will be fabbing some clips. I know you did yours, Kirk. I'll measure the angle of the I beam and take some plate and cut something that fits the bevel.

Hopefully, the replacement wheel will be here soon for the one caster. In the mean time, I will make sure all the zerks are free and lube them up really well. I'm betting it's been a while since they were last maintained.

dunno.....
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #2055
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
As a rooky weldure, your skylls have reelly impruved over the years

I sure enjoi checking the wookie weldor thread to cee what new projects ya'll are wurking on.

Quote:
Thanks, Dave!

Mounting the KLR bags...

Once again, Happy Trails mounts are used.

Quite the upgrade from my very first set from about 3 years ago...

Next up - outfitting the GS in the background. After this build, I plan on launching an official vendor thread. I'm hoping that will happen by May 1st. The mods here have been very lenient with me posting customer's builds in my rookie thread, and I thank them immensely for that!
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote