Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #2071
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Thanks, guys! I've been having fun with the builds and have been learning something new with every set made. Thanks for all the nice comments.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #2072
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
By the way Kirk, saw this and thought of you:

Might be a good idea?

Jim
That looks quite nice! I'm leaning towards this. My powder guy keeps twisting my rubber arm every time I see him to do the same thing. That last run with the "Raven2" finish would look pretty sweet on the bumper. It would suck to go 20 days w/o a bumper, though.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #2073
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride4Coffee View Post
Some after thoughts:
1 I like the toolbox facing forward, because it's just as functional, and less inviting for curious eyes (thieves)

2 At first I was wondering why the hidden doors in the beveled kids didn't have hinges, then realized that they could be removed to provide extra space, if needed. Brilliant!

3 To preserve the box hinges, I'll definitely not want to let them bounce to the open position. I could see where that habit would bend them over time.

4 They don't shake or vibrate, At All! Very solid!

Again, let me just say that Kirk is an excellent craftsman, and I highly recommend his panniers!

R4C
Thanks, J!

I'm glad you're pleased with what I did for you.

On Jim's build, we had discussed making a lanyard of some sort to limit the travel of the lids, but that's as far as it went.

I think a thin piece of aircraft cable with hoops crimped on the ends would work. I will buy hardware to make it happen on the next set and buy extra to retrofit yours and Jim's.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #2074
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Time to make a matching top box for my KLR...

Taking a page out of josjor's playbook, I remove the center piece of the OEM top rack.

I root around in all my scrap buckets until I find enough 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar, 5/8" O.D. x .065" wall DOM, and a piece of 1/8" thick angle. After everything is fully welded, I give the rack a good dousing of spraybomb action. It will match the spraybombed pannier racks. The top box will rarely come off when finished, so spraypaint isn't a big issue to me. As long as it doesn't rust, we're good.

I utilize all the OEM mounting holes. Now I can start measuring for the top box dimensions. I will use another Happy Trails puck mounting system, so that's why I constructed it out of the 5/8" tube. It will attach to the front and rear pieces of tube.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #2075
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Top box going together.

I let the size of the center of the top rack dictate the box size. The bottom of the box is slightly larger, then I bevel out on the L, rear, and R. That allows access to the OEM L+R grab rails.

Lower box height is 11" to accept a full-face helmet.

Happy Trails mounts.

Lid height is 2".

Overall dimensions: 17"L x 16"W x 13"H.

After smoothing the lid corners, I'll put it together for use. I'll run it through powder when I have another batch ready.

I use a top box much more than panniers, so I like the larger size. The KLR is a mule and can take the punishment.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #2076
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Some after thoughts:
1 I like the toolbox facing forward, because it's just as functional, and less inviting for curious eyes (thieves)

2 At first I was wondering why the hidden doors in the beveled kids didn't have hinges, then realized that they could be removed to provide extra space, if needed. Brilliant!

3 To preserve the box hinges, I'll definitely not want to let them bounce to the open position. I could see where that habit would bend them over time.

4 They don't shake or vibrate, At All! Very solid!

Again, let me just say that Kirk is an excellent craftsman, and I highly recommend his panniers!

R4C
One more note:
The rider's right side box holds an Aerostich RoadCrafter with padding, and has room to spare. Checkmark!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #2077
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Great work, Kirk
Any updates on the GSA tool box/tube?
...or did I miss it in this thread already?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #2078
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
Great work, Kirk
Any updates on the GSA tool box/tube?
...or did I miss it in this thread already?
Thanks!

I was studying the last R1200GSA and couldn't come up with a clean solution. A toolbox almost needs to be mounted inside a pannier frame unless it has it's own mount to the bike's frame - which would then interfere with a pannier frame.

Mounting something to the swingarm would not be good, either. Extra unsprung weight should always be avoided because of possible poor handing.

I'll keep thinking about it and see if I can figure something out next time around...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 04:29 AM
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #2079
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
One more note:
The rider's right side box holds an Aerostich RoadCrafter with padding, and has room to spare. Checkmark!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #2080
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,782
If anyone is looking to buy a set of Kirk's bags this is a great mount for an R1200GS: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863215

No relation to the vendor at all.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #2081
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

Top box going together.

I let the size of the center of the top rack dictate the box size. The bottom of the box is slightly larger, then I bevel out on the L, rear, and R. That allows access to the OEM L+R grab rails.

Lower box height is 11" to accept a full-face helmet.

Happy Trails mounts.

Lid height is 2".

Overall dimensions: 17"L x 16"W x 13"H.

After smoothing the lid corners, I'll put it together for use. I'll run it through powder when I have another batch ready.

I use a top box much more than panniers, so I like the larger size. The KLR is a mule and can take the punishment.
Kirk, have you thought of adding a lining to the panniers and topboxes to help prevent damage to both boxes and contents? Some form of thin rubber sheet perhaps?
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #2082
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,044
Permit required confined space.

Your stuff looks nice, Kirk.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #2083
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
Kirk, have you thought of adding a lining to the panniers and topboxes to help prevent damage to both boxes and contents? Some form of thin rubber sheet perhaps?
Hmmm...not a bad idea, but I'll probably leave that up to the end user. I'm still trying to work out all the kinks in my pricing and supply chain so I can have a smooth vendor launch May 1st. I'm just trying to keep things simple for now.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #2084
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post

Your stuff looks nice, Kirk.
Thanks!

It is on the larger side, but not completely huge when you step away from the bike a bit. The close-up photos make it look much larger than it really is.

I did a piano hinge on the front side of the top box, so my bags are a bit of mix-n-match. I'm not sure how I feel about the slip hinge lids of the panniers just yet, so I'll put a few thousand miles on them first.

I'm trying to get my hands on another tool this weekend if the guy emails me back...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #2085
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If anyone is looking to buy a set of Kirk's bags this is a great mount for an R1200GS: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863215

No relation to the vendor at all.

Jim
Thanks for the heads-up, Jim! Every little bit helps.