Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #2206
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,969
Because of you Kirk, I'm scouring the roadsides for old water heaters, and when I find one, I'm headed to Dad's to fire up his electric arc welder and I'm hoping my beads look 1/10th as good as yours by the time I'm done!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #2207
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Looking good, Joel! The red paint really makes it look nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
I'm watching and enjoying the grill project. Been grilling out quite a bit myself.

just a little update on the racks I built. I let them get a little rusty and then rustoleum bombed them red as planned. I either laid it on too heavy on the first coat, didn't shake it up enough on the second coat, or just got a bad batch of paint, but it's staying kind of soft and gummy. I don't care though, the next time I do anything will be to sandblast and powdercoat them in a hobbyist's home setup, and they're not going to rust very much in the mean time. I added a pair of Wolfman's large Rolie bags as panniers. As some of you remember, I started with pre-fab pannier loops by BR Moto, Wolfman Bags' exclusive sole rack maker. So I had to go for their products.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #2208
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Because of you Kirk, I'm scouring the roadsides for old water heaters, and when I find one, I'm headed to Dad's to fire up his electric arc welder and I'm hoping my beads look 1/10th as good as yours by the time I'm done!

I have been accused on numerous occasions of being good at spending other people's money.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #2209
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Ok, I want to put a firebox down low on the back side. I don't have any scrap heavy enough to make anything respectable.

Let's make a trip to the local salvage yard. I'm thinking small pieces of 3/16" plate would do a nice job. Let's slip down there and see what goodies await....

What do I find?????

wait for it.......

HOLY CRAP, THIS IS PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for being a "no budget" or even "low budget" build!

I paid $150 for it. More than I wanted to shell out, but I got to adding up the plate, hinges, door handles, and dampers and thought it was a good deal considering everything. I'LL TAKE IT!

Plus, I get to play with my toy again! Life is grand.

Radioactive dampers.

What a good start to the day. Okay, I have other things to attend to, so maybe I'll have more BBQ progress in about a week. I can't wait! I love it when a project comes together!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #2210
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,205
So now it makes sense to just use the firebox as the BBQ stand, right?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #2211
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I will still use my framing and mount the stove low. My framing dimensions are almost perfect! The stove's legs are bent, so they will get sliced off. I will make a plate to choke the flue output down and then use some schedule 40 water pipe to provide smoke to the cooker.

Having the stovetop accessable will make a nice warming tray for baked beans, etc.

Having a root canal performed as I type.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #2212
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 86
If you are "Galvanized" and "Cramping", today, A large glass of milk and 800mg of IB will eliminate it. Of course, one liter or quart of water for every 50 lbs of body weight, too.

"Galvanization smoke" will make your whole body cramp, your joints hurt, and make you suspect that you got into some "Rat Poison."

I don't know why, but do know that it works.....Large glass of milk and an IB 800.....

The water suggestion is what should be done everyday......
But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #2213
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
If you are "Galvanized" and "Cramping", today, A large glass of milk and 800mg of IB will eliminate it. Of course, one liter or quart of water for every 50 lbs of body weight, too.

"Galvanization smoke" will make your whole body cramp, your joints hurt, and make you suspect that you got into some "Rat Poison."

I don't know why, but do know that it works.....Large glass of milk and an IB 800.....

Thanks for the tip, Rhyno, but I did all my galv. welding outside for a change. I got to use my 50' 50A cord for the first time!

Even so, I always take a deep breath and hold it while doing a galv. bead. Then I take a break afterwards to let the air clear before proceeding.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #2214
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I use a 3M mask and these filters.

I'm way more of a rookie than anyone here and don't have much time under the hood but I'm also paranoid. As far as I know this mask goes a long way to protecting you from fumes. I've been wearing one since I learned about what hitting chlorinated brake cleaner liquid with the arc does. Oof.

I still make the effort to avoid any puffs...
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #2215
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post

What I've heard is that the calcium in the milk binds to the zinc from the galvanization. . . . In any case, the best solution by far is to avoid breathing much of the fumes, use a fan (and flux core or stick electrode), or breathe from a fresh air source, or something. I use a similar 3m half mask and p100 filters a lot, and it is nice air to breathe, but I'd have to look to see if it works against zinc fumes.

Edit: it looks like a P100 will work for galvy fumes and most welding fumes. I really like my 3m 7502 respirator, and I like that it would tuck under a welding hood pretty easy. Way nicer to wear than paper masks.

ktm
old bmw
others

slackmeyer screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 08:27 PM
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2216
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Okay, let's cut up a perfectly useable wood stove. I almost feel bad. Almost, but I don't, because I rescued it from the crusher at the dump. This stove will soon be making people happy again.

I choose 3 1/2" x 1/4" wall square tube to connect the stove to the tank. This is leftover from my gantry. I lay out my cuts with soapstone.

I abandon my last design because it would take more work to make it right. The only thing I don't like about this design is the cooking surface will be about 10" higher than I want, but everything else will be better, so it's worth a re-hash.

Holes cut with a 4 1/2" cutting wheel. Corners finished up with a scroll saw. This is 5/16" plate. I offset the tank to the front of the stove so I'm not busting my shins on the ash tray while cooking.

Both holes cut and edges dressed up with the flap wheel.

Squaring everything up to start tacking with the MIG.

One stack already smoking!

More smoke! Show me whatcha got, baby!

This is the point in the project where I start getting excited at what I'm seeing. That's when I know I'm onto something.

Now to hack apart this flustercluck.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #2217
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I slice it apart with the cutting wheel.

With a scrap piece of 3 1/2" square tube, I start laying out my next series of cuts.

I dress up the edges and clean up the mess from try #1.

More playtime with the gantry.

Stacks protrude this much for two reasons: for when I use the top for charcoal only, and so I can weld on a diffuser to keep grease from dripping down the stack.

Strut cut in 6" lengths...

... to act as temporary spacers for setting the desired height. I can still slip several pans in between the stove and tank for a food warming surface. I like that idea.

My two little buddies show up to see what all the fuss is about.

Tank tacked in place.

I'm VERY happy with this!!!!!!

I guess I'll have to learn how to cook soon.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:24 PM
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #2218
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
You need the road sign, 'danger: men cooking'.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2219
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
Why not remove 6+" of leg to get it down some of the 10" too high?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #2220
Toolferone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Way to cool! I just spent many hours of several days reading and really enjoying this thread. I took a couple stick welding classes about 20 years ago. That is the extent of my knowledge. I think what I liked best about this thread is watching your welding getting better each time. I could hear your excitement in your writing.

I am a passionate hobbyist woodworker. I got a great deal on a 12" tall x 24' long beam that I am making a trolley hoist out of. I have the trolley and the electric hoist. Next is to pour some footing for the verticals. The I-beam will be centered over my shop door, running back to the back wall.

My woodworking website
Toolferone is offline   Reply With Quote