Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #2266
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
...because sooner or later, you're gonna want to toss an entire pig on there for smoking. Did that last labor day for a big party and it was delish.
Something like this to merge the 2 lids into 1 on those rare instances...

Otherwise, for a smoker, I'd want to open it as little as possible most times.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #2267
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,410
Sorry about the crappy pics.

2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #2268
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,691
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OMFG! That is all kinds of awesome!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #2269
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Kirk, I've been looking at this picture and wondering if that bar would work better welded to one of the doors overhanging enough to catch the other door. Just thinking that when you raise both doors the bar would be raised as well and give you access to the entire cooking area.

I think that's a good idea, and it's not too late to change it.

The cooking area isn't as big as it looks and is approximately 18" deep x 40" wide, so I couldn't throw a whole pig on there if I wanted to.

If I find that this smoker isn't big enough, I have a 275 gallon tank waiting in the wings and may do a full-blown trailer build with that. I have a feeling that this isn't my last smoker build, and my next one will make this one look like a turd.

I may also keep my eyes peeled for an 80 gal air compressor tank. That would be just about perfect for my current needs. I'm pretty happy with this so far, though.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #2270
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I was able to knock out a little more on the smoker project yesterday...

Counter balance weights constructed from the legs I cut off the stove and left over cast hand rail pieces from the fire pit build from a couple Christmases ago.

It's starting to take on a steampunk type of vibe, which I actually like. It looks old and weird, just like me.

A bit out of focus, but I had one heck of a fire rolling up top and down below last night. And no, the smoke chamber doesn't need any fresh air dampers as it seems to pull just fine from the stove dampers.

I choked everything down before bed last night by closing all dampers. 12 hours after throwing on the last log, she's still producing good smoke.

Doors do leak some smoke, but it shouldn't matter a whole lot with the size of the stove.

Now I also need to fabricate a poker and a shovel to hang off the side.

I picked up some high heat paint yesterday, so after some more fab work it may get painted today for a final burn. I will put the thermometer on last. I didn't want to damage it during the couple really hot burns.

I'm right happy with how this has turned out. With any luck, I may be doing a shoulder by the end of the week.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #2271
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Sorry about the crappy pics.

Very good idea, and thanks for that. Once it cools down, I will do the same...
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #2272
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
The cooking area isn't as big as it looks and is approximately 18" deep x 40" wide, so I couldn't throw a whole pig on there if I wanted to.
they make little pigs too
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #2273
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,691
Quote:
I'm right happy with how this has turned out. With any luck, I may be doing a shoulder by the end of the week.
What time should I show up for dinner and beer?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #2274
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:

Needs a set of panniers. . ..

(nice work, btw. perhaps a new line of K70 products?)
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #2275
Dwreker
The Wrecker

Oddometer: 52
I am by no means an expert, only smoked 2 meals so far so take this all with a grain of salt, but I read that the most important piece of equipment you can have when smoking is one of these. I bought one and it works great, one probe for inside the meat, the other I put through a ball of aluminum foil and let it sit on the cooking rack about an inch from the meat so I can get a temp reading right there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DNM3IU

They make all kinds, multi probe, wireless, in pretty much any price range you can think of. Seeing as you have that nice thermometer to mount, you may only need a single probe one, but it is super helpful to be able to walk out to the grill and see your temps without having to open anything up. Hell, if you get a wireless one you can theoretically check your temps without ever leaving the couch!

225 is the temp you are looking for I believe for a good smoke. On one of your next burns it might be a good idea to play with the dampers to see if you can get it steady in that range, my guess is that you'll find the sweet spot pretty quickly with that beast.

This site has yet to steer me wrong, lots of good info. http://www.amazingribs.com/

Lastly, I read a cool blog on the mods that can be done to the smoker I have, it was the cheapest one from Lowe's and doesn't even have a way to adjust the air flow in and out. Maybe at some point this summer if we have time I could bring my little one by your shop and we could cut some holes in it for dampers, ill bring the beer!
Dwreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #2276
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Needs a set of panniers. . ..

(nice work, btw. perhaps a new line of K70 products?)
Actually, not a bad idea! They could hold all the grilling supplies in one, and fuel in the other.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #2277
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Kirk, I love the new project. Just one odd detail seemed off to me: after the grates from the old grill went in, I noticed one of the bars under it towards the center running from front to back was not aligned with the seam between the re- used grates. I thought if it were me I'd want to move it to that seam to provide even grilling on the left grate. Just my 2 cents.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #2278
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Actually, not a bad idea! They could hold all the grilling supplies in one, and fuel in the other.

Jim
Now he knows what to do with any defective panniers kicking around the shop! The exhaust - cutout ones could have a little upper shelf for tongs and stuff!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #2279
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
I was able to knock out a little more on the smoker project yesterday...

Glad it worked out!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #2280
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
although I'm partial to ceramic cookers...I'm loving this steampunk smoker!

Dwreker's right about temp control. Many an old school pitmaster laugh at using thermometers, however, I rely on mine for excellent consistent cooks.

The Stoker from Rock's BBQ (https://www.rocksbarbque.com/) may be a bit pricey, but I have to say that I've used one since 2006 and it's awesome. I set the temps on each probe and it'll hold a perfect 225F inside the cooker for a good long time.

With one load of lump charcoal, my Big Green Egg is able to go over 24 hours using the Stoker. I imagine it wouldn't take any time at all to fab up a mount to install a Stoker on your new cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwreker View Post
I am by no means an expert, only smoked 2 meals so far so take this all with a grain of salt, but I read that the most important piece of equipment you can have when smoking is one of these. I bought one and it works great, one probe for inside the meat, the other I put through a ball of aluminum foil and let it sit on the cooking rack about an inch from the meat so I can get a temp reading right there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DNM3IU

They make all kinds, multi probe, wireless, in pretty much any price range you can think of. Seeing as you have that nice thermometer to mount, you may only need a single probe one, but it is super helpful to be able to walk out to the grill and see your temps without having to open anything up. Hell, if you get a wireless one you can theoretically check your temps without ever leaving the couch!

225 is the temp you are looking for I believe for a good smoke. On one of your next burns it might be a good idea to play with the dampers to see if you can get it steady in that range, my guess is that you'll find the sweet spot pretty quickly with that beast.

This site has yet to steer me wrong, lots of good info. http://www.amazingribs.com/

Lastly, I read a cool blog on the mods that can be done to the smoker I have, it was the cheapest one from Lowe's and doesn't even have a way to adjust the air flow in and out. Maybe at some point this summer if we have time I could bring my little one by your shop and we could cut some holes in it for dampers, ill bring the beer!
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote