Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #2296
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
Kirk,

That sure looks like a hell of a rig. Those dampers are awesome and I bet you'll have no trouble dialing in the temps.

if you dont already have one, a "weed burner" from harbor freight works very well at getting things started and ready to cook asap. No need for starter fluid or any other nasty tasting stuff...just 5 minutes with the torch and it's hot enough to draw fresh air through the dampers.
Thanks, Jeff!

Yeah, the dampers work great. A couple new piccys tonight and I'll stick a fork in this project.

Very good idea. Thanks for the tip. I went down to Ace and picked up some compressed sawdust starters that said they were food safe. Once I run them out, I'll have to look into the weed burner. I did want to do a LPG start, but didn't want to hang a tank off the side.

I also have a small propane torch. That may work, too.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #2297
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I'm loving the smoker, Kirk.

Get yourself some old brass handled valves and such and mount them in interesting places to keep that whole Steam Punk vibe going - and to make people wonder what they do!
Thanks, Dave!

That would be pretty cool.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2298
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

My work is done for the week, so I get to play a bit. 2 coats of high-heat paint has been applied, and it's been 24 hours. I do a burn to set the paint and to season the smoker.

I had some cherry wood that my nephew brought me some time back, so I use that.

The nice thing is that I also get to see what works best with the dampers. I get the firebox rolling and then shut the doors. Intake dampers wide open, top stack wide open, rear damper closed.

Smoke chamber holds steady at 215 for about 7 hours with no adjustments. That's nearly perfect. The firebox holds steady at 475. The Jeep "horseshoes" end up having a bonus feature - I can stand to the side and open the lids without gloves when the cooker is rolling right along. Nice!

It smells soooooooooooooooooo good! (after the paint cures, that is)

The mail lady brings me a digital thermometer that I got for free with my ebay bucks. I put the probe in the smoke chamber and it holds 223 for hours while the smoker thermometer is still showing 215. The smoke chamber didn't drop below 200 degrees for well over 30 hours. AWESOME! Heheheheheh!!!

The analog thermo. is adjustable, so I calibrate it to the digital, which is supposed to be more accurate.

The digital thermometer came with a kewl little pager that can clip on your belt. You can adjust when you get alerts; such as when the internal meat temp is 10 degrees away from your desired doneness. Pretty neat-o. It works from 200 feet away.

Hickory guy ends up being a no-show, so I'm on to the next guy.

I used the top half last night with charcoal on burgers, dogs, and corn on the cobb and could really taste the cherry. That will have to do for now. Maybe, just maybe smoking on the next break. I hope!

This was a really fun project. I can't wait to try my hand at smoking a nice cut of meat. I can already see that this will be yet another addiction, but a yummy one. ;)

kirkster70 screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 05:31 PM
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #2299
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
Awesome!!!!!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #2300
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,934
Damn fine temp consistency. Will be interesting to see more stats on different settings/temp goals.

Wonder if it will be fairly resistent to outside influences (i.e. ambient temp)?
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #2301
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572
Incredible. Simply incredible build, Kirk.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #2302
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Awesome!!!!!

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #2303
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Damn fine temp consistency. Will be interesting to see more stats on different settings/temp goals.

Wonder if it will be fairly resistent to outside influences (i.e. ambient temp)?
Thanks! I couldn't believe how it hit my setpoint and held it. I was pretty amazed with the sheer luck of that.

I think to reach a higher temp, I need to increase the intake damper size. I cracked one door on the woodstove to test that theory, and it shot up to 375 in about 30 minutes.

...or install a Rock's BBQ Stoker. Jeff is good at spending other people's money like I am.

I think it will be awesome to pull up a chair and suck down some coffee in the early wintertime hours next to the stove. I'm looking forward to it already.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #2304
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Incredible. Simply incredible build, Kirk.

Thanks! When r u showing up?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #2305
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
What happens if you point a shop fan at the open fire box dampers for a while?

Or leave one of the doors cracked open?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #2306
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks! When r u showing up?
Ha! I've sent CSM Sidecars and email....I may be there sooner than you realize...

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #2307
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
This isn't meant as an insult in any way, but as a public service advisement.
Please stop making horrificcient, poorly controlled, constant attention needing newbie BBQ smokers. You're wasting your time and the time of everyone eating what's being cooked in them.
All joking aside

Instead make yourself a gravity fed upright cabinet smoker. Seriously... It's like having a DIY massive cooking area green egg..., requiring less monitoring...

Basically you build a cooking area inside a large frame. The cooking area is insulated and connects to your firebox with an air intake. Above the firebox is a tapered chute for your charcoal+wood
Once filled and lit. Gravity will continuously feed your fuel stock to the firebox, that will burn until the chute is exhausted or you cut off the air. We're talking a bag of charcoal lasting a full day. not sunup to sundown. today until this time tomorrow. The ball vales used as air intake /regulators are extremely good at setting and holding temperatures for VERY long periods of time. Hours. outside influences are nil. window snow sun, aint gunna change it. Even MORE fun is tht there are SEVERAL viable automatic stoker/regulation kits out there (guru, commander, etc) that use basic PID loops to hold the temp at whatever your desire is over time. (These are also nice because its a blown system, you can bring them up to temp MANY times faster than traditional smokers.)

You basically are building giant, oven like big green eggs that can typically cook 18-24 hours on one load of fuel with little to no user interaction once started.
Basically everyone in the BBQ world went to these styles of insulated cookers. The best known are Stumps out of Georgia.

My fathers words, "I can stand here monitoring temps, wood and coal every 20 minutes all day, or you can build me a gravity feed and I can get it running in 5 minutes and enjoy myself, drink as much beer as I want pass out and it'll still be perfect tomorrow morning".
I built him one, he loved it. sold it for a big profit Then I bought him a stumps.

Insulated gravity fed cabinets are the only way to smoke. They're game changing.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #2308
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Since we're on the topic of thread-jacking...

Here's what I made today:

24 brand new popeye anchors. I'm a fisheries biologist that studies paddlefish. We deploy 600' nets all winter long and these are what make the nets stay put. We tie a long rope to the looped end and these things grab in rocks, mud, and sand.

I picked up 8 25' sticks of 5/8" "new/reject" sucker-rod for $56.

Did all the bends with a oxy/ace torch, a pipe, and a pipe wrench. There are 14 welds on each anchor and they are made of 4 pieces each.

Lots of sweat, but I built a jig on a table to line things up and reduce variability. The time-consuming part was moving the ground clamp several times per anchor (so I can rotate the piece to access all the welds).

Got to use our new Miller-matic. The "automatic" part eludes me. We had to do lots of fine-tuning, but once we nailed it, production zipped along nicely. We have a new aluminum spool gun for it too, so I'll be doing some self-lessons on AL before too long.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #2309
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Wow! Very cool job you have and nice work!

Clamp your ground to your metal welding table and you can flip em any way you want as long as they are making contact.

Hi jack all you want. It's always interesting to see what others are working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Since we're on the topic of thread-jacking...

Here's what I made today:

24 brand new popeye anchors. I'm a fisheries biologist that studies paddlefish. We deploy 600' nets all winter long and these are what make the nets stay put. We tie a long rope to the looped end and these things grab in rocks, mud, and sand.

I picked up 8 25' sticks of 5/8" "new/reject" sucker-rod for $56.

Did all the bends with a oxy/ace torch, a pipe, and a pipe wrench. There are 14 welds on each anchor and they are made of 4 pieces each.

Lots of sweat, but I built a jig on a table to line things up and reduce variability. The time-consuming part was moving the ground clamp several times per anchor (so I can rotate the piece to access all the welds).

Got to use our new Miller-matic. The "automatic" part eludes me. We had to do lots of fine-tuning, but once we nailed it, production zipped along nicely. We have a new aluminum spool gun for it too, so I'll be doing some self-lessons on AL before too long.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #2310
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Wow! Very cool job you have and nice work!

Clamp your ground to your metal welding table and you can flip em any way you want as long as they are making contact.

Hi jack all you want. It's always interesting to see what others are working on.
My metal welding table was made of wood.