Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #2431
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
All information is helpfull :) My previous examples are the result of learning how to weld thin sheet metal, 0.8 to 1 mm. I've been laying welds on old (cleaned) 2 and 3 mm metal and that's a lot easier. With the basic setting of wire speed on three and adjusting the current to the thickness (the company I bought it from stated for this machine: wire speed on 3, current on 1 for 1mm, 2 for 2mm, and so on as a starting point) i get reasonable results. A friend who welds heavy stuff gives me some tips ('move faster', 'more gas' as the most frequent ones), so I'm slowly getting there.

Ah well, it's something you have to do a lot and develop a feeling for it. Like most arts :)
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #2432
johns
Studly Adventurer

One other mistake: way to close with my face at the place I'm welding. A bit of thinking 'damn this is dark' so I move closer with the result that I only see the weld puddle. I've been laying down great welds about 1/8 of an inch from the place I wanted it to be. Or with a nice curve so I move away from the right spot :). Moving back with my face, I realised I could not only see the weld puddle a lot better, so I could control it (sort of) better, but also the surroundings.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #2433
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
One other mistake: way to close with my face at the place I'm welding. A bit of thinking 'damn this is dark' so I move closer with the result that I only see the weld puddle. I've been laying down great welds about 1/8 of an inch from the place I wanted it to be. Or with a nice curve so I move away from the right spot :). Moving back with my face, I realised I could not only see the weld puddle a lot better, so I could control it (sort of) better, but also the surroundings.

Sounds like you're already getting the hang of it. There are a lot of variables like travel speed, stickout length, hand angle, pushing or pulling the weld, etc, etc. Also, the way you hold your tongue.

It sounds as though you have manual control of your gas flow at the trigger. If so, another good trick is to go half trigger before you start welding to have about half a second of preflow, perform your weld, then pause again at half trigger for postflow for two seconds or so. That will give you very nice results and doesn't take long to get the hang of.

Keep up the good work!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #2434
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
Got my Eastwood mig 175 with spool gun today ! Took a welding class a couple years ago and am finally getting to do it. Mostly hobby welding but I'm sure I'll do stuff for friends. First issue which I knew about beforehand is my 220 outlet is a 15 A config I think (even though its a 20a circuit. The Eastwood has a 50 A style plug, dang. Right now the outlet (in garage is being used for the compressor (one outlet). What would you do? Make an adapter? Change the compressor plug and outlet? Thanks, great thread 'still catching up.
Nice! Post up some progress shots once you get rolling!

Yep, what trasko said. Rough-in a 50A plug. You could possibly run your welder at a lower amperage, but it won't be able to perform to it's full thickness weld rating.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #2435
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Off topic, I know. Sorry. Here's a project I've been working on for way too long...

Love reading the updates in this thread- they remind me I'm sposed to be gettin this thing done. I need all the prodding I can get I guess...
Very nice work! The time you spent on those gusset plates was well worth it. They look awesome!

Not a hi-jack at all. I really enjoy seeing what you guys are working on. I think we give each other good ideas.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #2436
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I get a little more time to devote to smoker 2.0 after getting up from night shift. I gimped my back up last week by twisting while dragging a small MC lift and OH BOY! That hurt. It took about 3 minutes to stand up straight. No fun.

I ease back into my project and avoid all heavy lifting.

I source some AWESOME Tel-Tru 5" O.D. silicone filled gauges on ebay. I bought a few extra for the next project.

I lay out where I want the thermometers to go and drill with a 7/8" holesaw.

I cut a 1/2" N.P.T. pipe coupling in half to make 2 wells.

All welded with the MIG. The pivoting heads are nice, but they stick out a bit more than I hoped they would.

I cut a piece of 6" x 1/4" wall pipe to length to make the shrouds. I then cut the pipe in half lengthwise at an angle so that each side is equal. Now I use a scrap piece of 2"x4" to drag around the radius of the door to transfer a cut mark on the pipe.

Corners dressed up with a flap wheel. That will work!

Me so happy.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 03:04 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #2437
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thermometers protected with welding sleeves while I weld on some 5/16" U-bolts. They will be attachment points for aircraft cable that will then attach to a counterbalance weight. I hope, anyway. I think I can work something out.

I buy some stove handles on ebay. They are supposed to be stainless steel, but if they are, they must be a poor grade. I should not have been able to make this nice of a weld with argon and mild steel wire.

I bend 5/8" O.D. DOM in a back-to-back 90 for a handle. I have to trim a coil or two off each end of the spring handle to get it to slip over the DOM and around the bend.

Centered-up and fully welded in place.

Interior lid view.

She's coming right along...

Maybe more this evening if my back holds out. Just call me gimpy.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 03:06 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #2438
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,306

Please tell me that's actually getting painted on.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #2439
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170

Should have put the loops on 90 off so they looked like eyebrows.

Take a straight on shot and I bet the handle looks like a mouth!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #2440
johns
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
It sounds as though you have manual control of your gas flow at the trigger. If so, another good trick is to go half trigger before you start welding to have about half a second of preflow, perform your weld, then pause again at half trigger for postflow for two seconds or so.
I try to do that. Sometimes i forget at the end. At the beginning I automatically start to do that.

Now I'l focus on how I keep my tongue. Biting it distracts a bit. I'm looking around for parts (barrel, pipes, bars) for a rocket heater for my garage. The small wood stove that's in there is nice for chilly evenings, but last winter I could hardly do anything in my garage because it was to damn cold. Learning stuff like welding is fun in you're really making something, although I think the highest costs will be in the flapwheels and cutting wheels for my grinder to remove fautly welds and dressing up ugly ones.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #2441
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Rube Goldberg would be proud of what I'm about to post next...

5/8" DOM bent and tacked in place. I don't know if this will work just yet, so I don't commit to a full weld.

Tabs made of 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar. 2" sheaves from the gantry self-lifting idea that didn't quite pan out.

It's ALIVE! It looks completely ridiculous. Perfect!

1/4" wire rope and all associated goodies from the no-go gantry project. A tractor suitcase weight provides extra muscle. I think it's 40lbs.

...sort of resembles a Bug-Eyed Sprite...

I can't help but laugh when I look at it. Perfect!

Now I can final weld the DOM now that I see it will work. Personal sanity day is almost over. Back to customer builds tomorrow, which is also a good thing!

...and nary a dead horse was saddled.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 11:14 PM
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #2442
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
I soooo hope you are planning a cool custom
paint job for this one...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #2443
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
I soooo hope you are planning a cool custom
paint job for this one...

I don't think I will get too crazy on the paint. I'm thinking basic BBQ flat black and maybe use some One-Shot and pinstripe around the gauges and the doors with red and white like a traditional 50's era hot rod. I'm not even sure how the One-Shot will hold up to the heat.

Smoking at 225 shouldn't do any harm, but grilling with charcoal above 400 may ruin a fancy paintjob.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #2444
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,663
yous gots options.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintd...FUdo7AodRywACg
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #2445
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
Very true.

I think I will keep it simple because I'm thinking I may sell it to fund smoker 3.0. Sickness? Yes.

Of course, I'll use it a few times first!