Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #451
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Yep! They are trying to squeeze me for money. Pics will be back on the 12th. They're breakin' my heart.
I pay Photobucket $20 a year for unlimited bandwidth. It is worth it to me.

I would have done Smugmug, but I was already heavily invested in Photobucket, so if I changed I would lose thousands of photos on thousands of posts.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #452
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I'll just wait the 6 days and then stay under my alotted bandwidth.

Remember - I AM a proud KLR owner!

Besides, I want to see 100mpg's boat! (don't forget to run the holding tank walls to the deck - Titanic)
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #453
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,026
Quote:
I'll just wait the 6 days and then stay under my alotted bandwidth.

Remember - I AM a proud KLR owner!

Besides, I want to see 100mpg's boat! (don't forget to run the holding tank walls to the deck - Titanic)

I better get to work....
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #454
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
ok, I'm getting close to the end. How are you making out?

I gotta pic here somewhere...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #455
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Dayum!!!

You must have found another Honda 2000i to parallel to the one you already have!!!!

Pics will be back up just in time for my next break. Oh goodie!

2nd gen Toyota 4Runner rear heater in hand, (big secret just might work!)
^ heater core, blower, plenum with vents, and coolant control valve all in one nice, compact package.
Window gasket showed up yesterday,
Fog lights for the front visor in hand,
More scrap sheet metal in hand,
I just need to buy some barbed brass tees, clamps, and heater hose to tap the coolant lines so I can rough-in my harry homeowner cab heater.
I also need a distribution block for all my wiring and a toggle switch panel.

...chugging along slowly. Piccys soon...
Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #456
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Dayum!!!]
You must have found another Honda 2000i to parallel to the one you already have!!!!

yeah and an army of welders! I just picked up my buzz box from my storage unit (it sucks but I got no choice) and I am going to play a little at my nephews house!

Quote:
Dayum!!!]
Pics will be back up just in time for my next break. Oh goodie!

2nd gen Toyota 4Runner rear heater in hand, (big secret just might work!)
^ heater core, blower, plenum with vents, and coolant control valve all in one nice, compact package.
Window gasket showed up yesterday,
Fog lights for the front visor in hand,
More scrap sheet metal in hand,
I just need to buy some barbed brass tees, clamps, and heater hose to tap the coolant lines so I can rough-in my harry homeowner cab heater.
I also need a distribution block for all my wiring and a toggle switch panel.

...chugging along slowly. Piccys soon...
They don't have very strong water pumps in those little tractors so make sure you keep the heater core and hoses a little lower then the highest water level in the engine so it can pump it easily. I am looking forward to your progress pics!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #457
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #458
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
yeah and an army of welders! I just picked up my buzz box from my storage unit (it sucks but I got no choice) and I am going to play a little at my nephews house!

They don't have very strong water pumps in those little tractors so make sure you keep the heater core and hoses a little lower then the highest water level in the engine so it can pump it easily. I am looking forward to your progress pics!
Shoot, buzz boxes are plenty of fun to weld with. I had a very small one that a friend let me borrow years ago and it was enough to keep me excited about welding. I was able to make a few small repairs with it that are still holding.

I've narrowed the heater location down to two areas, both below the height of the tractor's radiator, and both in a spot where I can remove mounting hardware and drop the heater core when filling with coolant so that I can do my best to prevent any air bubbles in the system.

My biggest problem that I have yet to tackle is that the water pump is an internal, gear-driven unit. The t-stat is also in the block with no way to tap into the supply side of the stat for constant hot block coolant. Soooo..... that leaves me with two options....have a block machined to raise the t-stat out of the engine so I can tap and thread a fitting under the stat, or remove the stat altogether and regulate the engine temp by making an adjustable baffle to go over the factory radiator. I haven't gotten to that point just yet, so my subconcious pea brain has been chewing on that while focusing on other things.

I cut my first piece of polycarbonate last night and installed a window, and man it looks pretty awesome! Pics should be up tomorrow...
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #459
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Now is a good time to learn to weld aluminum.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #460
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

...or machining!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #461
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Pics are back up. They broke me down like a double-barrell shotgun.

I have a BUNCH of pics to put up tonight...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #462
SuziRider
addicted to riding

Oddometer: 7
Yippie the pics are back!
SuziRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #463
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmonelo View Post
Yippie the pics are back!
PIC. Not pics....and it is tonight....but I don't see any more picS

And I did not even bother to take pics of my welding 101 practice last night. No, I am not modest, I am embarrassed!

I borrowed some steel and the person said I would be able to weld it with my little buzz box. BAAAA! Wrong. Then today he mentioned that I could if it was clean and beveled.... No grinder sand blaster or an other type of metal cleaning utensils.

I have some new scrap, in some very nice shapes that I will "practice" on as soon as I can. Supposed to rain tomorrow so it might be Friday or Saturday before I get to waste some rods.

I AM getting decent at my Initials!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #464
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

PICCYS!!!!!!

Lower door opening cut out and powder coat ground to bare metal.

Entire process repeated for the upper half. I clamp a copper buss bar to act as a backing plate to start welding the upper and lower together where they overhang the frame.

This is 14 gauge on top of an 1/8" frame, so I can get her a little hotter. I do a series of tacks in a row of about 2 inches at a time, let it cool, and then brush off the soot with the wire brush and go again.

Square tube for latch assy. is capped top and bottom and dressed up with a grinder.

Weld ground flush, door reinstalled to check for any possible warping issues. All good in the neighborhood.

2nd gen Toyota 4Runner rear heater assy. from one ebay seller, switch for said assy. from yet another seller. Plug and play. Heater core, coolant control valve, blower, plenum and vents all in one tidy package. I will make this work.

Another view of the heater. It was a pretty day, so I spraybombed the rusty wheel hubs while I was at it.

Spraybombage and reinstallation. 3/4" wide x 5/16" thick foam rubber self-adhesive weather stripping used behind door and in jamb for a very nice, tight seal.

My 100 foot roll of Trim-lok one-piece locking windshield gasket and installation tools finally arrives from sunny California. This was the largest expense of the entire project. Once I saw the first window completed, it was worth every penny. It's really starting to shape up now.

Using 1/4" U.V. treated polycarbonate (NOT plexiglass - a trade name for acrylic) I do my pattern trick yet again and cut the poly with a scroll saw running a 10 teeth per inch blade. I install the gasket, peel the film off the poly, and go for it. I started with soap and water to help with the install, but ended up using tire bead lube to help slip the window into place - that worked even better. It was a bit of a struggle, but the next one should go easier. I should be a pro by the 9th one!

- A little info. that took me some research time:
Plexiglass is one of many trade names for acrylic sheet. Acrylic is NOT to be used in this application due to ease of shattering.

Lexan is one of many trade names for polycarbonate. Poly is shatter resistant, and can even be bent to go around corners or to conform to most shapes you need. It can be bent 180 degrees back on itself without breaking. Poly also comes in indoor and outdoor (UV treated) varieties, and can also be tinted. Polycarbonate is what the protective shields are made of that you see the Mythbusters team standing behind. You can search polycarbonate on youtube and see 1" poly absorbing some impressive, close-range pistol shots. Anyway, polycarbonate is what you want for a tractor cab. That, or real safety glass, which weighs and costs much more. Poly is stronger, lighter, and has better insulative qualities than glass. Glass is much more scratch resistant than poly.

I bought my polycarbonate in random sizes from random ebay sellers. All were new, scrap pieces with film on both sides. I measured my rough openings for each window before buying from each seller. Anyway, a full, brand new 4' x 8' sheet of 1/4" UV treated poly is around $350 or better. All my remnants add up to larger than one full sheet, and I paid just under $200 for everything delivered.

Interior shot of the same upper door window. I like the appearance and I also like that I didn't use hardware to hold the windows in. I'm now glad I spent a little extra to get the right material for the job.

Well, there you have it. I plan on hitting her hard tomorrow, so maybe I'll have more to show.

100mpg, show me some pics!! This is a rookie thread! No excuses!

Until tomorrow...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 06:40 PM
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #465
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Looks great, as usual!

Is that the seam on top of the window that I see?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote