Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #496
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905

Right rear fabbed up and ready for paint.

Cab corners painted and windows installed.

One panel remaining to fab. I'm out of large pieces of sheet metal, so I need to do some dumpster diving or scab some scrap scraps together!

Almost there. I should have her all closed in on next break. Then I'll focus on the electricals. Until next time!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #497
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615

wait, what? 4 wheel steering?! Has my CRS kicked in and I forgot this info? What year is that tractor? That will be the coolest Pope blower on the planet!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #498
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Almost there. I should have her all closed in on next break. Then I'll focus on the electricals. Until next time!

This is all well and good, but where does the kid get to sit?

lookin good, amigo
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #499
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

wait, what? 4 wheel steering?! Has my CRS kicked in and I forgot this info? What year is that tractor? That will be the coolest Pope blower on the planet!

Yeah, it's a slick little piece. From the serial number, I think it's a 1990. There isn't a date stamped on any of these 5000 series tractors.

The photos are deceiving. This is a touch larger than a standard riding mower and weighs 1,000 lbs. by itself. It's got some really neat features like selectable 2WD/4WD, locking rear diff, 4 wheel steering, gear drive with high and low ranges, front and rear PTOs, hydraulic lift, etc, etc. Honda offered a front loader bucket attachment that costs as much as I paid for the tractor if you can find one.

My wife loves the tractor because it's kept my mind off buying another motorcycle since I've owned it. I am a motorcycle whore, so if I can keep my hands and mind busy, I can keep everything in check. Thank you, old Honda tractor.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #500
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
This is all well and good, but where does the kid get to sit?

lookin good, amigo
Thank you very much!

Were do the kids sit?

Here!!!!

- next potential welding project...

I have a small 3/4 hp electric motor, I have a nice deep cycle battery, and I have a building full of bicycles.

My oldest daughter helped me design this after dinner tonight. I think we can do something with this...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #501
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Looks slick, make sure you know about ackerman angles.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #502
100mpg
This sentance intent

Sweepster?
http://www.formulah.com/tractor_details.php?ID=192
Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #503
100mpg
This sentance intent

Yep, slightly more happy then a 53 year old guy should be but hey, it works for me...

I can weld. I took the 1/8 pieces and sanded them down with 80 grit sand paper. Propped them up on a cement block that has a raised section to line up another cement block on top and use that as a form. What form, you ask? angled.

Using the 1/8 and sanding it to get down to bare metal (shiny metal at least) did the trick. It is not perfect but allowed me to finally get a decent feel for how welding is supposed to work! It was dark again, I was sitting on a COLD concrete block all twisted up with my breath fogging my glasses and shield but I got it.
In order of welding. Number 2 is the opposite side of 1. It is a weld on two separate pieces and looks flat at one point in the weld. the raised sections are were I went over to fix some holes.
One

Two

Three
Old 01-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #504
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Looks slick, make sure you know about ackerman angles.
Thanks! I don't know a thing about ackerman angles, but I will read up before getting started. Half the fun is figuring out things you've never done before. Thanks for another good tip in the right direction!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #505
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
this thing is bad ass
Thanks, lousot! My girl and I were getting pretty excited about the idea. My son wants a 2-wheeled version, and it will probably lead to making one big enough for myself. Ha Ha!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #506
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:

Yep, slightly more happy then a 53 year old guy should be but hey, it works for me...

I can weld. I took the 1/8 pieces and sanded them down with 80 grit sand paper. Propped them up on a cement block that has a raised section to line up another cement block on top and use that as a form. What form, you ask? angled.

Using the 1/8 and sanding it to get down to bare metal (shiny metal at least) did the trick. It is not perfect but allowed me to finally get a decent feel for how welding is supposed to work! It was dark again, I was sitting on a COLD concrete block all twisted up with my breath fogging my glasses and shield but I got it.
In order of welding. Number 2 is the opposite side of 1. It is a weld on two separate pieces and looks flat at one point in the weld. the raised sections are were I went over to fix some holes.
One

Two

Three
Alright!!!!! Buddy, you are dedicated! Once the weather warms up, you'll be tearing it up!!!

have all the project ideas started filtering into your mind yet? That's next...endless possibilities!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #507
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
make it big put the seat on a slide more fun for everybody
That's a good idea. I need to make a side-by-side for momma and I.

This first one needs to be simple, low, lean, and mean. If my girl likes it and isn't embarrassed to be on it in public (teenager) it's use will be as functional as it is fun. She has problems with her legs and has a hard time when we go places.

The motor and battery will be the heaviest parts, but I want to make it as bicycle-like as I possibly can.

If it gets used like I'm hoping, she can use it indoors or out, and I will also fabricate a carrier that slides into a 2" receiver hitch to take it places.

If she doesn't like it, the other two kiddos will still have fun on it at home.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #508
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Alright!!!!! Buddy, you are dedicated! Once the weather warms up, you'll be tearing it up!!!

have all the project ideas started filtering into your mind yet? That's next...endless possibilities!
I heated the metal on the floor of my truck while setting up the welder at the work yard (ssssshhhh!)
it went very smooth and easy. I think I need 3/32 rod instead of the 1/8 easy strike. The rod disapears like I was welding with a candle.
Here is what I made. I think I created a "Whatsamacallit". Just noticed on the second image...that is the back of the weld, I didn't do both sides it was too dark. looks like good penetration? That side was not welded.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #509
changingground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Thanks! I don't know a thing about ackerman angles, but I will read up before getting started. Half the fun is figuring out things you've never done before. Thanks for another good tip in the right direction!
If you haven't found him yet, you might look at Brad's site, Atomic Zombie. He has made his own world from hacking up bikes and, uh, reconfiguring them: http://www.atomiczombie.com . He probably has some info in Ackerman steering, as he has developed several Tadpole trike plans.

Great project, btw. I've really enjoyed following along.

changingground screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 09:01 AM Reason: double link
changingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #510
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
I heated the metal on the floor of my truck while setting up the welder at the work yard (ssssshhhh!)
it went very smooth and easy. I think I need 3/32 rod instead of the 1/8 easy strike. The rod disapears like I was welding with a candle.
Here is what I made. I think I created a "Whatsamacallit". Just noticed on the second image...that is the back of the weld, I didn't do both sides it was too dark. looks like good penetration? That side was not welded.

I won't tell a soul!

Looking better with every post! Keep going. You will get better and better. Now you need to think of a small scale project to tackle.