Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #511
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingground View Post
If you haven't found him yet, you might look at Brad's site, Atomic Zombie. He has made his own world from hacking up bikes and, uh, reconfiguring them: http://www.atomiczombie.com . He probably has some info in Ackerman steering, as he has developed several Tadpole trike plans.

Great project, btw. I've really enjoyed following along.
Thank you very much, changingground!

I'll check that out tonight. I've unwittingly stumbled onto a HUGE segment of people into electric bikes. TONS of info out there in cyberspace. I watched a guy last night on yt with an electric reverse trike who was carving up a back road at 50 mph!!!! Suh-weet!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 12:10 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #512
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

More from this afternoon...

I picked up a rubber horse stall mat (40 bucks) from Tractor Supply going in to work yesterday. If my neighbors were watching when I got home this morning, they'd swear I was dragging a dead body into the garage. It's heavy! It's 3/4" thick x 4' x 6'. I'm using this to close in the air gaps in the bottom of the cab. This is a really nice mat, and I can see myself going back for a couple more for garage duty.

I'm using it to fill this void ^.

More craft time with masking paper. I get it close by measuring, then do some more tracing with a crayon to fine-tune the shape.

Trimmed up as best as I could get it. This is a huge time saver and it keeps from wasting materials. It will be transferred to the rubber mat, and the mat will be secured to the inner frame flange with 1/4" hardware.

Now I need to make a pattern for here...

...and here. I have just enough room to slip behind the filler neck. I'm going to attempt to make the rubber all in one piece. Getting ready to leave for work in a bit, so there may be more to see in a day or so. Until then!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 12:15 PM
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #513
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I won't tell a soul!

Looking better with every post! Keep going. You will get better and better. Now you need to think of a small scale project to tackle.
Thanks!
Yeah, I need a smaller project then a boat. I am sure I will think of something...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #514
ATB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great job! It all looks superb! I do have one question for you though. I've looked at the pictures of the frame repair and it appears that the radiator is located between the engine and the dash, which is common on many tractors. What I can't determine from the pictures is how the air flows through the radiator. Some of the tractors I've seen have the air flowing through a screen under the dash forward through the radiator and exiting around the engine cowling in the front. Will there be any air flow issues for the cooling system with your set up? I think I've looked through all the build up, maybe I've missed this discussion, if so, sorry my bad.

Alan
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #515
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB View Post
Great job! It all looks superb! I do have one question for you though. I've looked at the pictures of the frame repair and it appears that the radiator is located between the engine and the dash, which is common on many tractors. What I can't determine from the pictures is how the air flows through the radiator. Some of the tractors I've seen have the air flowing through a screen under the dash forward through the radiator and exiting around the engine cowling in the front. Will there be any air flow issues for the cooling system with your set up? I think I've looked through all the build up, maybe I've missed this discussion, if so, sorry my bad.

Alan
Thanks, Alan!

This is the best shot I could find showing the relationship of the radiator to the engine. Just to the left of the steering column is the radiator. The fan is on the rear of the engine pulling air from the cab. There is a kick panel at about shin level made of mesh that the air is pulled through.

The left side in the above pic is the rear of the engine. Exhaust exits the right side and shoots straight forward. I don't think there will be any issues at all with air circulation or CO fumes. Even with the rubber I'm getting ready to install, outside air can still come from under the seat, go straight through the kick panel, through the tractor's radiator and exit out the front with help from the fan and the exhaust going the same direction like a scavenging effect.

I do have a coolant temp gauge on the dash, so I will also be monitoring that closely. There is a temp. sending unit on the lower radiator. Honda thinks of most things way before we do.

Once all enclosed, I plan on doing some testing before I install the auxiliary heater. I want to drive it around and put some load on it and just see what it's going to do. I may not need a heater whatsoever, but I should know soon enough. I may even hang a thermometer inside just for curiosity's sake. I'm guessing I'm about 2 weeks out before that happens. After the rubber, I need to do some wiring. So the heater, if needed, will be dead last.

If you study this photo closely, you can see plenty of areas for outside air to enter, even after I install the rubber - all around the rear fenders, and even between the backbone of the frame and my lower rear cab frame. Air will move back to front. I'm hoping it will be a non-issue.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 05:35 PM
Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #516
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

More from today...

Pattern transferred to mat with a white Stabilo grease pencil...

...and cut out with a razor knife. A trick I learned is to place a scrap 4" x 4" piece of wood underneath near the cut so the rubber has a bend to it - then it separates as you make multiple cuts.

Additional notches made for seat rail with the razor knife, and holes drilled with a hole saw for the seat springs so that the seat returns to it's normal position. It's lying in place very nicely and I haven't even fastened it with hardware at this point.

I wasn't able to make an accurate paper template here, so I just scaled off each section and laid it out. I did not account for any shrink or gain, but it worked out fine in one piece.

I cut this end long so that I can trim it to fit as I start bolting the mat down from rear to front. I'm very happy with how this part turned out, plus it covered all the goofy looking holes from the old shelving frame. Me likey!

PBG - I'm still keeping track of weight...this little piece of thick rubber tips the scales @ 20lbs. I'm currently @ 207lbs with only the rear panel remaining. Not too shabby at all.

I'm stopping by Home Depot when I get off work in the a.m. to pick up some things to get her all wrapped up. I should be able to get a good bit done in the following days. Until next time!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 12:39 PM
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #517
Colorado970
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Lbs?

Hey Kirkster...how much weight do you think you've added to this little tractor?

Erik
Old 01-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #518
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexico505 View Post
Hey Kirkster...how much weight do you think you've added to this little tractor?

Erik
From the post above yours:

Quote:
More from today...

PBG - I'm still keeping track of weight...this little piece of thick rubber tips the scales @ 20lbs. I'm currently @ 207lbs with only the rear panel remaining. Not too shabby at all.

JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #519
100mpg
This sentance intent

What are you going to do about the holes in the foot rests?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #520
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
What are you going to do about the holes in the foot rests?
I'll probably just leave them alone.

If I find they are letting in too much air, I'll just duct tape them from the underside.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #521
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
I'll probably just leave them alone.

If I find they are letting in too much air, I'll just duct tape them from the underside.
Duct tape! You can weld up a couple of little foot radiators and mount them under each side...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #522
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Duct tape! You can weld up a couple of little foot radiators and mount them under each side...
If I drink too much coffee and can't make it to the house in time, it needs to go somewhere. Ewwwwwwww.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #523
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

A little bit from today...

Final touches made to rubber mat, and bolted in place...

...and...I was lucky enough to be able to score some more scrap from a switchgear upgrade...

With any luck, I should be able to get the rear panel knocked out tomorrow, then comes wiring as the paint is drying. We're getting there!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #524
100mpg
This sentance intent

That looks great! Have you started it up yet? While look at the last pics, I wondered if it was going to be loud inside the Kirkster Kab And ya need a coffee cup holder.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #525
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Snowed here last night, Kirk?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote