Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #601
domains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
all you need to learn to weld is 45degrees on flat surfaces and speed not rocket science
domains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #602
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
BAHAHAHAHA!!!
If you feel so inclined you could toss in an Eval Kineval helmet too.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #603
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Thanks! oh- the heater can roll some heat!! I need to make a mounting bracket tomorrow, then mount up a coffee mug holder and I think that's about all the embellishing I can do for now.

I will take ALL of your snow. When is the earliest you can send me some? How about next week in time for my next break?
So, has much of that wellwished snow been sent your way? 3 days off the internet, either 1) your power or internet got cut thanks to snow, 2) your too busy out blasting snow to kingdom come 3) I'm well off the mark and you've just been busy/not near a pc.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #604
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
So, has much of that wellwished snow been sent your way? 3 days off the internet, either 1) your power or internet got cut thanks to snow, 2) your too busy out blasting snow to kingdom come 3) I'm well off the mark and you've just been busy/not near a pc.
Don't think he got any snow but it has to be cold enough for a temp test!

Richardsville VA

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. North wind between 3 and 5 mph.
Charge up the camera battery and warm up that pope mobile!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #605
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
...still waiting on snow!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH!

Just went back on break today, so I have 3 days to play in the garage. I was thinking about pulling the tractor's mid-mount mower deck out of the building and starting on a front-mount conversion. That should make it snow.

I think I may also try to post up some more harry homeowner welding project vids on yt this week. 100mpg, you may have created a monster!

EVERYONE wants to see a vid of the snow flying, so if it ever happens, maybe I'll be a little better at shooting video by then.

I'll probably wait until spring on the electric reverse trike. I need to drum up some cash by rotating more garage equity. It sucks to run out of funding mid-project. There are some pricey components that will go into that build.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #606
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #607
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #608
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

No snow. Not even so much as a flurry.

I've been gearing up to take this rookie to the intermediate level.

I spent the day working on this "rolling chassis". Scrap strut, flatbar, and front wheels. Lower drawer slides from the dumpster at work. Axle made from scrap 5/8" all-thread. 8" rear wheels with bearings and grease zerks from ebay - $40 total invested.

...and another nice Suzuki makes the ultimate sacrifice for the next addiction...

... and one addiction leads to another...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #609
SuziRider
addicted to riding

Oddometer: 7
Those poor Suzuki's
SuziRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #610
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
No snow. Not even so much as a flurry..
wow...Well, you knew this would happen and you did it anyway...

Quote:

... and one addiction leads to another...
WOW, with capitals! I think you called it, addiction. What does that new welder do that the old one could not? Step away from the credit cards!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #611
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

No credit cards. That's my ghetto way of buying things. X amount of garage equity out, X amount of garage equity in. Years of buying and selling to get to this point. I did have to dip into the account for $74 after selling the SV. Then I had to do some ebaying of old mc parts to order up some consumables.

Let's see...

A V-Strom started it all with the 252.
Then a KingQuad 450 bought the Honda tractor
And now an SV650 pays for the TIG. (...and a Burg 650 was traded for the SV!)
I need to check the outbuilding for any hidden Suzukis so I can buy a coolmate and water-cooled torch.

Why the TIG? More control and the ability to weld almost any metal with the same shielding gas. I want to weld some artistic outdoor lighting made from copper sheet. MIG would struggle with that. I also want to build a Vulcan 800 based bobber and will be attempting some stainless exhaust work and I want it to be nice.

I sold the transformer based 180SD because it was a power hog. I tripped a 60A breaker practicing on 3/16" aluminum.
This inverter based Dynasty can run wide open @ 24 amps, and can run on 120V or 240V single phase, or 3-phase, and it weighs a whopping 45lbs, so it's very portable for doing jobs for friends and family. (once I figure out how to use it! ) Another cool feature of the Dynasty is the high frequency goes away after the arc is established and you can adjust the hertz, and it has a pulser which is also completely adjustable. You can fine tune the arc shape for getting into tight corners.

^ A lot of guys would groan that all of that isn't needed - and they would be right. But, that's probably what was said with power windows, AC, and power steering, too. And we all know how nice those conveniences are.

Another big plus is the Dynasty can be run off a small generator for field work and is also a stick machine for outdoor jobs.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 05:22 AM
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #612
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
OMG you used the wrong steel for your axle!

groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #613
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Top level made out of 1/8" x 1" opening expanded metal that I scored at the local scrapyard all rusted up for pennies on the dollar.

Checking for fit. I used expanded metal so that the coolant lines could easily pass through below to the future torch cooler. Plus, I plan on strapping the TIG down, so the straps will also pass through.

The TIG looks like a toy next to the MIG.

Back to the scrap pile for an old 18 ga. shelf...

...which becomes a new shelf. I was going to weld this, but it fits so nicley in place and is well supported by the drawer rails so that it really isn't needed. Works for me.

I wanted the cooler shelf solid (instead of expanded metal) to try to keep grinding dust out of the drawer.

Back to the scrap pile yet again; this time for a handle from a broken dolly. I am a dumpster diver, packrat, and KLR owner, and proud of it.

Handle cut to fit, 1 1/2" cut from the middle, re-welded and attached to the cart. I could have bent a piece of 3/4" E.M.T. to size, but this tube is slightly heavier in thickness, so I went with it.

Now I need to fab the drawer, bottle rack, and cable rack. If I would just stop playing on this computer, I might be able to have everything ready for paint sometime tomorrow.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 09:13 AM
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #614
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
OMG you used the wrong steel for your axle!

Ha Ha!!

If I end up bending 5/8" all-thread, I'm doing something wrong!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #615
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
...A lot of guys would groan that all of that isn't needed - and they would be right.

Not me! I dont even know what you just said!

But seriously the welder I know said I should get a inverter welder and don't waste my time with the 140 or 180...But for what I need to weld, it is not worth the money invested.