Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #931
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
...and I will be able to bend 2" tube soon!

That will be the sidehack frame. Hmmm............
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #932
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i dont know if i would have time for awhile, i got too many customers cars in the shop right now and swamped for a few months for sure. you live in ohio so i dont know if it would be worth it? i love making stuff but i wouldnt want to have your tank for too long to keep you from riding.

Since it would involve a repaint, it would be a psare tank sent to you, so you could take all Winter on it!

Give it a thought. Was thinking something exactly along these lines.

http://www.fueltanks.co.uk/pages/suzuki/suzuki.html

Anger is age, hell bent.

Ohio_Danimal screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 09:09 AM
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #933
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
Since it would involve a repaint, it would be a psare tank sent to you, so you could take all Winter on it!

Give it a thought. Was thinking something exactly only these lines.

http://www.fueltanks.co.uk/pages/suzuki/suzuki.html
hmmm, ok i will think about it. keep in touch and we might get going on it soon. thanks!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #934
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,410
I've bent 6063 alum pipe fairly easily on my JD bender. I was bending 3/4" pipe which is 1.05" and it wasn't ideal but for the little bit I needed to do it worked well.

DOM tubing I've been buying from metalsdepot.com. If you buy a full stick at 20' and have it cut to 8' it makes the UPS shipping reasonable. And I'm from Pittsburgh where there isn't exactly a shortage of steel. No one locally wants to deal with me unless I'm buying 1000'. One company, Alro quoted me $225 for a 20' of 1" 0.065" dom. Yeah sure.

I have a great aluminum supplier in town that has an incredible selection, a huge scrap bin that is basically free and a shorts rack where they have half sheets for $1.50/lb. Plus the girl there is real easy on the eyes

I also converted my JD to hydro but find I use the jack handle. Mine is air/hydro and I hate the racket of the compressor running.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #935
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

I do some research and write down the LxWxH dimensions of every 9.5 series Warn winch made. Then I allow some play with the largest dimension each way and start my layout.

I cut out the bottom winch plate and tack it in place with the 30A spoolgun.

Uhhh....nope. That's not going to work. The approach angle is all wrong.

I break the tacks, grind everything smooth, re-mark my centers and try again.

Ok, the approach angle is good, but this shortens up the winch box's depth too much. The winch will be bottom mounted. No good again. Once again, I break it off, grind everything smooth, and go back to the drawing board.

Third time's a charm. Depth is good, bottom is parallel, and when I skin the outside, the approach will be right. This was a bit of a PITA, but if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Or as right as I know how, anyway.

Now I'm able to make the sides of the winch box. Everything so far is 5/16" 6061-T6. I used ALL of a 2' x 4' plate for this. Talk about lucky. The sides are longer than the bottom, but that's okay. It will allow me to TIG a nice fillet on both sides for a little extra strength.

I use a straight edge and mark my front approach angle, and I estimate where I want the L and R corners. Once I have one side laid out, I use the same measurements on the other side. I use a cutting wheel to slice off the corners. Now it's really starting to shape up.

Not the greatest pic, but I double up on the tacks before removing the bumper. Now I can get some more TIG practice on all the framing. I also plan on shaving another inch off the very bottom for the best approach angle I can possibly make.

The sun's going down and it's been a great day. Now I can work on the bumper an hour or two each day this week after getting in from work. With any luck, more to see in a week...

Wonder whether you have considered the fact that even a relatively minor impact on that bumper is going to mean you are going to have bent chassis rails, and very strange steering?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #936
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks, DD!

Is the backside of your bumper fully boxed?

Are you running a 12,000lb winch? What's your deepest point on the winch front to back?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply... No, it isn't boxed and Yes, I have a 12k winch. Sounds like you're building it for a 9k, so I doubt you need the measurements.

They definitely didn't put as much thought into approach angle.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #937
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I've bent 6063 alum pipe fairly easily on my JD bender. I was bending 3/4" pipe which is 1.05" and it wasn't ideal but for the little bit I needed to do it worked well.

DOM tubing I've been buying from metalsdepot.com. If you buy a full stick at 20' and have it cut to 8' it makes the UPS shipping reasonable. And I'm from Pittsburgh where there isn't exactly a shortage of steel. No one locally wants to deal with me unless I'm buying 1000'. One company, Alro quoted me $225 for a 20' of 1" 0.065" dom. Yeah sure.

I have a great aluminum supplier in town that has an incredible selection, a huge scrap bin that is basically free and a shorts rack where they have half sheets for $1.50/lb. Plus the girl there is real easy on the eyes

I also converted my JD to hydro but find I use the jack handle. Mine is air/hydro and I hate the racket of the compressor running.
I just rec'd everything from JD2 to do 2" tube with the electric/hydraulic conversion. I'm going to make a roll around stand similar to what you made for your bender, but I think I will make the shoe parallel to the floor. It will be nice to not have a fixed pedestal hogging up needed floor space. My 6061 tube just showed up today, but I need to fab the stand and do the conversion still. I like staying busy, so all is good.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #938
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Sorry for the late reply... No, it isn't boxed and Yes, I have a 12k winch. Sounds like you're building it for a 9k, so I doubt you need the measurements.

They definitely didn't put as much thought into approach angle.
Good looking truck, DD! Looks very stout!

It's not like my truck will be 4-wheeled, either, but I'm doing my best to give it a good approach. For that matter, it won't have a winch, either. I'm just making provisions for it. It will have a lockable lid (where a winch could be) that I will likely keep gloves and ratchet straps in.

I'm sort of copying a known manufacturer, but making tweaks to make it my own. There's only so many ways you can build a bumper.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #939
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Wonder whether you have considered the fact that even a relatively minor impact on that bumper is going to mean you are going to have bent chassis rails, and very strange steering?
I think it will be just fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #940
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

All fillet welds complete. I started TIGging this, but a 150A air-cooled torch on a 200A Dynasty was no match for the 5/16" aluminum. I ended up ruining the torch body by exceeding the duty cycle for way too long. I break out the spool gun and finish up. Why didn't I use the spool gun to begin with? Good question. I guess I thought I knew what I was doing.

I trim 3/4" off the very bottom for the best possible approach, and drill some ventilation holes under the winch box. I haven't decided yet, but may add two more. The outer lower skin will also have ventilation holes. This way, the winch box should stay somewhat dry while still allowing air to the radiators.

The second half of my aluminum order shows up today. I drill 7/8" holes in 1" x 3" x 12" 6061 bar for the shackle mounts. I still need to round the ends, then I will spoolgun these to the exterior of the winch box.

6" O.D. x 1/8" wall tube will be fog light pockets.

I'm hoping to get rolling good again with this project on Saturday. Until then...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #941
Colorado970
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #942
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Chassis rails on almost all modern vehicles are designed very light, and fitting heavy duty front bumpers will mean its possible to sustain a lot of chassis damage after a low speed impact.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #943
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,410
Here is my road armor on my diesel. Thing is beefy with 12k winch

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #944
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
What kind of JD2 pipe bender are you using? I wonder how much it costs to get die(s) to bend 3/4" pipe with the one you have. That bumper is one heckuva heavy duty build. I think it's going to come out with some really cool sculptural features as well. If that XR650L rear taillight was any evidence. That was a rear bumper though.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #945
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Chassis rails on almost all modern vehicles are designed very light, and fitting heavy duty front bumpers will mean its possible to sustain a lot of chassis damage after a low speed impact.

I'm not discounting what you say. I'm just tired of Bambi not being able to look both ways and tearing up my vehicles.

This is my third strike in 2 years, so now I'm fighting back and want to be able to punt them into the weeds.

Off road bumper or not, if I twist my frame due to an accident, it's time to call the insurance company once again.