ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #1381
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,504
Those are going to be the most expensive panniers in history haha.

5052 bends beautifully takes a nice sharp corner. I was using 0.080" for my panniers
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #1382
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Those are going to be the most expensive panniers in history haha.

5052 bends beautifully takes a nice sharp corner. I was using 0.080" for my panniers



By the way, that thing probably looks better than it did when new, and certainly won't look that good again!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #1383
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Damn, man. That looks NICE! FoMoCo would never recognize it.

And I lied - the material I picked up at the scrap yard is 4", not 6". You know guys, we always think things are bigger than they are.

But after handling 6' of 4" material, I can imagine what the legs of your gantry weigh.
Thanks! My wife was picking on me last night because I was staring at my new chunk of metal with a big smile plastered on my face.

Yeah - the legs on my gantry are probably 250 lbs a side.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #1384
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Those are going to be the most expensive panniers in history haha.

5052 bends beautifully takes a nice sharp corner. I was using 0.080" for my panniers
Yeppers. I've been using .080" as well. I'm hoping to pick up 2) 4' x 10' sheets this Tuesday. Me and Weezie keep movin' on up!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #1385
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post


By the way, that thing probably looks better than it did when new, and certainly won't look that good again!

Jim
You got that right! Once fully cured, I will slather some grease on all the sliding / moving surfaces. It won't take any time for that to attract grinding dust.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #1386
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Grenada - MS....... not the Island!!!!
Oddometer: 209
Break out the Mack brushes and the One Shot!! That thing is SCREAMING to be striped up!
__________________
CaptTeach

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #1387
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Break out the Mack brushes and the One Shot!! That thing is SCREAMING to be striped up!

I was just sitting here thinking the same thing!


It may even receive a full-blown traditional hot rod flame job! Lots of real estate to play with!



The only downfall would be if I ever decided to sell it to go larger. Not everyone has the same taste. It could be the difference in selling it or not. But then again, I may have already done that with the sky blue paintjob.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #1388
Ratski
Studly Adventurer
 
Ratski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Eastern WI
Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I was just sitting here thinking the same thing!


It may even receive a full-blown traditional hot rod flame job! Lots of real estate to play with!
My first reply to this thread, but I have lurked the whole thing, Kirkster, you do some really cool work!!

And a flame job would be excellent.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #1389
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 17,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Not everyone has the same taste. It could be the difference in selling it or not. But then again, I may have already done that with the sky blue paintjob.
It kinda looks like sponge bob.
but once again, you did a great friggin job, I think you could go into the restoration business, get your own TV show and get rich!

"Tonight, on Virginia restorations!"
__________________
Don't drive like my brother!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #1390
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratski View Post
My first reply to this thread, but I have lurked the whole thing, Kirkster, you do some really cool work!!

And a flame job would be excellent.
Thanks! I'm glad everyone is enjoying the show!


I may just have to do a flame job to keep me in practice...it's been a while!!!!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #1391
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
It kinda looks like sponge bob.
but once again, you did a great friggin job, I think you could go into the restoration business, get your own TV show and get rich!

"Tonight, on Virginia restorations!"
A big set of eyes would make it look like the main monster in Monsters, Inc.


...believe it or not, I had some pretty good offers a few years back that I had to turn down for personal reasons. I figured if it were meant to be, it would come back around when the timing was right...

All the scrap welding has kept the creative juices flowing, which is a good thing.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #1392
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: 1000 Miles from nowhere.....
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I ran a piece of 3/4" conduit and pulled #8 wire. I have a 50A welding receptacle in each garage and the longest run is probably 50 feet. 8/3 is just fine. I am an electrician.
I am wanting to do the same thing, and you answered my question before I could ask.

Thanks......


How far is the longest run, (75'-100') before the wire gauge needed to be increased?

-Rhyno
__________________
I make all of the idiots cry.....Their personal insecurity depicts the size/childness of their remarks and replies......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #1393
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Grenada - MS....... not the Island!!!!
Oddometer: 209
I'll just zip up there and pull some tape for you since you're out of practice - Should I bring my brushes too??
__________________
CaptTeach

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #1394
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
I am wanting to do the same thing, and you answered my question before I could ask.

Thanks......


How far is the longest run, (75'-100') before the wire gauge needed to be increased?

-Rhyno
...I'm going to have to knock the dust off the code book to answer that one...paging Ken C. to the courtesy phone - you know who you are...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #1395
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
I'll just zip up there and pull some tape for you since you're out of practice - Should I bring my brushes too??
Sounds like a panel jam is in order.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014