Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #1396
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
I am wanting to do the same thing, and you answered my question before I could ask.

Thanks......

How far is the longest run, (75'-100') before the wire gauge needed to be increased?

-Rhyno
From my buddy Ken, who is the smart electrician. I are the dum one.

"...following a 2% voltage drop calculation, 240V, 50A circuit; max. distance on #6 is 98'. #4 is good for 156'."

BTW - I did use #6, but brain-farted when I said #8. I told u I is the dum one. Thanks, Ken!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #1397
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I have a pretty cool job coming up, so I go out and buy 2) 4' x 10' sheets of .080" 5052. This is the first time actually buying an entire sheet. Now to pretend like I know what I'm doing.

I've been doing some online reading on the brake I bought. I discover it's missing the angle brace on the lower apron. It can bend without it, but the capacity is reduced from 12 ga to 16 ga.

I have no idea what size it's supposed to be, but just measuring the holes on the apron tells me it needs to be at least 4" angle.

I find a piece of 5" x 3/8" thick angle at the local scrapyard. Probably heavier than needed, but the price was right. I'll make it work.

Now we have a 12ga. brake again. Another thing I learned after buying it - it's really called a combination brake. The upper carriage can rack forward to be used as a straight apron brake. Rack it all the way to the rear to install box/pan fingers. Like most things I do, I just learn on the fly. ...and get lucky a LOT! I've never used a box / pan brake in my life. Heheheh!!! I know what it's supposed to do. The question is can I make it do what it's supposed to do!

Upper holes are threaded for 5/8" hardware. Lower holes are smooth with no threads. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing they are just for dowels / alignment purposes with the angle. That's what I use them for, anyway. After adjusting angle to where I want it, I tighten the bolts. Then I weld some 1/2" grade 5 hardware into what I think are alignment holes. This angle weighs over 50 lbs, so that's what makes sense to me. I simply put heavy tacks on the flats of all the bolt heads with the MIG welder. That should help with intallation/removal of the angle. (you can remove it to make close reverse bends on lighter material)

I have enough blue to finish up, but just go with the gantry grey to break up the blue a bit. This paint lasts forever. Well worth the $10 a qt. I'll have to report back later on durability...

ALMOST ready to bend! I have bent a few small scrap pieces just to check my adjustments. I'm excited to see how she does on an actual project. Until next time!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 08:29 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #1398
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,068

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #1399
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim

C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #1400
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hey Kirk

Made it back from MO with the Southbend MEGA Lathe. I still have not put a tape on it to measure swing but the overall length is 9ft and it weighs a BUNCH!! Somewhere close to 3000lbs The 4jaw chuck is 14-16in across and guessing it weighs 40lbs. This thing is WAY bigger than the 13in it was advertised as.

I'll try to post pix a bit later as it is at a friends warehouse until I can make space for it in the shop

BTW A panel jam sounds good to me!!

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #1401
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Hey Kirk

Made it back from MO with the Southbend MEGA Lathe. I still have not put a tape on it to measure swing but the overall length is 9ft and it weighs a BUNCH!! Somewhere close to 3000lbs The 4jaw chuck is 14-16in across and guessing it weighs 40lbs. This thing is WAY bigger than the 13in it was advertised as.

I'll try to post pix a bit later as it is at a friends warehouse until I can make space for it in the shop

WOW!! She sounds like a big girl!

9ft long!!!! I look forward to seeing the piccys!

I'll probably do a flame job on big blue after this first aluminum job. It took a long time to learn how to do that, so I really need to retain the knowledge. Maybe the kids will think it's cool and want to carry on with it. Traditional red,orange,yellow flames would look great against the blue.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #1402
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Up until now, I have been buying small quantities of sheet online. I use a scrap piece to test the accuracy of the back gauge since I've never used it before...

After I see that it's adjusted just right, I slide the sheet in and square it up against the fence. A couple hops on the pedal and BING! it slices right through. Kewlness.

Two main pieces almost ready to bend. Waiting for paint to dry is almost like watching the grass grow. I'll tidy up the garage while I'm waiting...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #1403
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Hey Kirk

Hope your right- more swing the better - - - But it still may only have a 13" swing even with a 4 jaw that big. Hows that go, its not the size that matters- its what you can actually turn on it. 9' bed is a pretty long lathe, really opens up what you can do with it. Still a ton of parts out there for those south bend lathes you should be able to find anything you need (want) down the road, looking forward to seeing some pics.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #1404
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Top pannier flange bent. The apron support angle had to be off to make this tight of a bend. My homemade brake wouldn't have been able to pull this one off...

I discover that I don't need the apron support at all on this width, so I keep on a rollin'...

Opposite side duplicated. Nice, crisp bends like I was hoping for.

Bottom angled edge checked with a protractor.

Opposite side of same shell laid out for flanges. Excess sheared off.

Scratching all the paint off the brake from using it in an unconventional way. A fancy paint job may not be worth the effort since I'm just going to scratch it up anyway.

I didn't know if this would work or not, but it did! Where there's a will, there's a way.

One shell bent 100%.

Ends bent in similar fashion. Now I need to miter the flanges and cut the bottom angles to match the sides. I'll use a cutting wheel.

It's easy to see how a quailty tool produces quality results. This will be the nicest set I have ever built...

My homemade brake will still be used for bending heavy flat bar and other brute work that I don't want to run through the 412. It got me pretty far for being made out of scrap!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:04 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #1405
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,068
looking great! I can hardly wait to see these done!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #1406
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Hmmm....

Where do I find the Kirkster Website to order my set of Panniers?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #1407
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Nice work with the new tools

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #1408
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Hmmm....

Where do I find the Kirkster Website to order my set of Panniers?
If you're serious, it can be arranged.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #1409
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Nice work with the new tools
Thanks, Dave! I'm just having fun playing in the garage! Life is good, my friend!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #1410
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

More piccys...

I transfer the end angles to the sides.

Cuts made with a 4.5" cutting wheel, burrs removed with a hand file. Right pannier ready for welding.

Exhaust side pannier temporarily taped together to lay out cut marks on back...

...and on front.

Now I have more cut marks.

Taped together once again to check fit-up.

Yeppers. Me likey! With any luck, I'll be firing up the TIG tomorrow. I also plan on meeting with a local powdercoater in the morning. I'm going to do my best to knock these puppies out of the park.

Until next time...