User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
WeeStrom gets a new baby brother

My WeeStrom – I call her the BeeStrom – seemed a little lonely all by herself in my Garage. She’s also a little prissy about the kind of dirt she’ll tolerate so I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone – give her a little company in the garage while giving myself a new playmate that likes the terrain she doesn’t want to deal with.

Found a CL deal on a DR650 near Astoria OR for that seemed like a reasonable price so made a day trip out of it.

The Object of My Desire

Things started out a little strange. We met the seller in a Fred Meyer parking lot where he cruised by us in his pickup, asked us if we were looking for a motorcycle and then hollered “follow meeeeee!” while barely stopping.

He was looking a little rough around the edges and I became increasingly nervous – thinking about CL robberies I’ve read about and me with a pocket full of money – as he led us further and further into the wilderness. We continued past what appeared to be the last of any houses in the area and then through some clear cuts – the little woman and I look at each other and agree that this is starting to get a little creepy. Thoughts of the movie Deliverance pervade our minds. I decide if I don’t see a house over the next rise I’m going to do a quick u-turn and get the heck out of there.

As luck would have it his house did appear – dog in the driveway – horse in the pasture – we calm down a bit. Turns out he was a good guy – just a little boisterous.

To make a long story short I checked out the bike and he took me on a 7 mile ride, leading me on his Versys. We negotiated a price – a little more than I wanted to pay and less than he wanted to take – so I guess it was a fair deal over all. The bike was more than older bikes with similar miles, but it had some extras - skid plate, windscreen, gel seat, extra sprocket, already lowered for my short legs - and I liked the idea of buying a 2009. Plus it was the color I liked.

On to the photos…

Point of Purchase to Mayger OR – 68 miles

We brought the bike from the seller’s house to Fort Stevens for a couple of photos and a walk on the beach.

Nearly new odometer

Riding in Circles

New Baby

Proud New Papa

Reflecting on My Purchase

Run to the Beach – Fort Stevens

On the Beach – Fort Stevens

Posed on the Beach – Fort Stevens

Posed on the Beach – Fort Stevens

After the photo op we headed into Astoria. During negotiations for the 650 the seller and I ended up $50 apart. The little woman chimed in and gave him my maximum price. She told him she wouldn’t let me pay any more. When she speaks she means it, and I guess he figured that out. We have cash in hand and we’ll have to walk if you can’t come down another $50.

So of course, I now owe her a nice lunch. We walked around downtown Astoria and found a place on the water called The Baked Alaska. Nice place with a great view and good food. I had the BLTA with sweet potato fries and she had crab macaroni and cheese (better than it sounds!) If I go there again I’ll order the fish tacos – they look fantastic.

Lunch with a View

Afterwards took the new pony to Mayger OR, which is right on the Columbia River. I took it out onto a gravel road and then down to the river front into some sand and dirt just to give it a little test ride off the road. Dang near dropped it in the sand, but got my left foot down just in time!

Spent the night in Mayger, but had to be in Seattle by 9am the following morning for work – ugh.

Mayger to Federal Way - 125 Miles

Left Mayger at 5:30 hoping to make it to Fed Way by 8 so I could make my 9am meeting. Nearly hit a couple of deer on my way up the hill in the dark – came within 5 feet of them, the two of them staring at me as I breezed past. Stopping for gas in Longview WA, I totally spaced out and overfilled my tank. Crap! Gas all over the tank! I was half asleep and used to the 5.8 gallon tank on the BeeStrom.

Cleaned things up as best as I could with the windshield washing tool and paper towels. Heading out of Longview got hit by rain and started dreading the ride home. I was not happy. Things cleared up, though, and I had a dry trip.

Stopped for a rest about halfway home in Centralia. Man, the DR650 seat is nothing like the BeeStrom. I had a serious case of sore butt. The little thumper did good, though. It ran 75-80mph the whole way without a complaint.

Finally got it to my garage, took a hot shower, jumped on the BeeStrom, and made it to my meeting only 5 minutes late. Raised a few eyebrows as I rushed in still fully geared up, but what the heck – no harm, no foul.

Here’s my new baby, next to his big sister, safe at home.

Still a Bit Shy?

I think the BeeStrom is a little jealous, but I’m sure she’ll warm up and appreciate the company after she gets over the initial shock.

Still a Bit Shy?

Little Brother – Big Sister

Skinny Brother – Fat Sister

Side by Side

Eyes glowing – I Think They Like Each Other

Hominid screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 11:56 AM
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,603
Congrats. I've never had so much fun on such a slow bike as my DR. Great little bikes.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Thumb

Looks good, time to spend some money and get that thing set up for camping. Plus the heated grips, bark-busters, etc,...

Git yourself some bike shorts too, helps with the seat.

We should do the North Cascades loop again, give ya a taste of what I've been through. I'll ride the SV650n this time tho'.

Gel seat sucks don't it. Over 7000 miles on my gel seat and still not used to it,...

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go

243Win screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 12:41 AM
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
newkidontheblock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I had a 1999 dr250 that got stolen. best bike i have ever owned so far, only thing i didnt like about it was the fact that it drank the fuel bit to quickly. keep posting your travels on the machine, love dr's!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
jagred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thanks for the fantastic report. I love that black DR. Watch out trails, here he comes!
jagred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
Congrats. I've never had so much fun on such a slow bike as my DR. Great little bikes.
Thanks,

it's a whole new experience for me. My Weestrom is a joy to ride on the highway. The DR is quite different, but it sure is more friendly on the loose stuff. It's going to open up a wide range of possible rides that the heavier bike would not allow.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win

We should do the North Cascades loop again, give ya a taste of what I've been through. I'll ride the SV650n this time tho'.
Dude, I was thinking of that all the way from Longview to Federal Way.

"How the heck did Slim handle 700 miles on this beast and manage to keep up with us?"

I have newfound respect for the Slim one

I was ready for a butt transplant after about 40 miles

Hominid screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 05:09 PM
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Nice , sweet addition to the stable

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks good, time to spend some money and get that thing set up for camping. Plus the heated grips, bark-busters, etc,...
Yup, now I get to find out the real price of this bike

so far the list includes...

heated grips
better bark busters
steel engine covers
ims tank
side bag brackets
side bags
top bag
tools & tool tube
new bars and/or risers
shop manual
tires

the list goes on...

gotta get on thumper talk and the adv dr650 thread and do my homework
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
I got the factory manual already in print and as a bonus, I have it on my computer in a pdf.

There, saved ya $80. Drop by one of these days and try my already farkled bike to see if you like the bar configuration I already have set up since we are of a similar height. I almost said size, but that wouldn't be quite true,...

You can use that extra $80 towards a kinda now, kinda wow XD3 helmet.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I got the factory manual already in print and as a bonus, I have it on my computer in a pdf.

There, saved ya $80. Drop by one of these days and try my already farkled bike to see if you like the bar configuration I already have set up since we are of a similar height. I almost said size, but that wouldn't be quite true,...

You can use that extra $80 towards a kinda now, kinda wow XD3 helmet.
oh yeah - forgot to add helmet to the list. Gots to be color coordinated

I like the bill on the XD3 - helps keep the sun out of the eyes - big money item, though...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
I had a ZX12 everything after that has been slow that said I love my slow DR!
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Looking good, you should enjoy it.

I am also getting a 2009 with a couple hundred less miles, at a nice price. My Son in Seattle is taking delievery of it for me, it will be about 4 months before I am back in Seattle to see and enjoy it.

Then I start added the things to make it what it needs for me to do some of the things on my "Bucket List".

Sargent Seat
Wolfman Waterproof bags/racks.
TM 40 Carb
IMS 4.9 Natural Tank
Highway Dirt Bike Guards, Mirrors
Good Bars
Wide Pegs
S/S Braided Brake Lines
Tires
Etc.

Well, it just goes on and on, looks like I will double the price of the bike.
Man, this is going to be fun.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
Looking good, you should enjoy it.

I am also getting a 2009 with a couple hundred less miles, at a nice price. My Son in Seattle is taking delievery of it for me, it will be about 4 months before I am back in Seattle to see and enjoy it.

Then I start added the things to make it what it needs for me to do some of the things on my "Bucket List".

Sargent Seat
Wolfman Waterproof bags/racks.
TM 40 Carb
IMS 4.9 Natural Tank
Highway Dirt Bike Guards, Mirrors
Good Bars
Wide Pegs
S/S Braided Brake Lines
Tires
Etc.

Well, it just goes on and on, looks like I will double the price of the bike.
Man, this is going to be fun.
oh geez,
you just made my list longer
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
That is an endless list. And Jeff at Procycle will forever be greatfull, along with others.
YnotJP? is online now   Reply With Quote