User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 462
Thumb Wyoming, Chief Joseph, Yellowstone; she is still smiling

Let me set the scene for this last minute trip.

Alan is riding the blue beemer. He never even rode a bicycle before the age of 70. In the last 4 years, he has had 4 motorcycles. 5,000 miles on a Kawasaki (his first), 12,000 on a Honda, 32,000 on his first BMW RT, and another 18,000 on his current RT. Now I like riding motorcycles, as do you folks reading this, but to put on 67,000 miles in 4 years having never ridden before and beginning at the age of 70 is unique in it's own right. Alan is always up for a ride.
My wife has always been a gamer for a cycle ride, even though she spent 30 days in ICU after wrecking her own bike 3 years ago. She has not, however, spent any time on my new BMW RT. (She is a Harley chick)

So on a nice Indian Summer day, Alan calls me up at noon and says he is going to ride to Cooke City, Montana from our home in Sheridan, Wyoming. A one way trip of 225 miles and at least 5 hrs thru the Big Horn Mtns and up the Chief Joseph Highway. The wife smiles and says "let's go". We leave at 12:30pm.

The colors on the Big Horn Mtns are great

40 miles from home, she is still smiling...

More to come...
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Still smiling

Now I know it's a tradition to show a great meal shot in the RR, but not having breakfast and only snacking on the salted peanuts prior to lunch at the top of the Big Horns I was a tad hungry and inhaled my cheeseburger... this is what you get... peanuts.

Cruising along the Big Horn Mtns... keep this photo in mind for later in the RR.

stopping for a few shots of the colors is mandatory.

and she is still smiling...
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Still smiling

Sometimes you have to look hard for colors on the Big Horns.

Alan looking ready to ride.

But the wife, she is still smiling...

With the Big Horn Mtns in the background, we leave the high country, cross the causeway of the Big Horn River and head into the Big Horn Basin. Great farmland and in full swing of sugar beet and pinto beans harvest. Most all of the alfalfa has been put up, getting ready for winter.

From the cool mountain air to the heat of the basin, it is time to shed a few layers.

Wife got a hold of the camera for ONE shot, no more I told her...

And she was still smiling...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Still smiling

Westward bound, Heart Mountain outside of Cody, Wyoming, is visible. The mountains to the right of Heart Mountain is where we are heading via the Chief Joseph Highway.

Back to the high country, back on with the extra layers. Yes, she is still smiling...

I travel this road at least three times a summer and a dozen times in the winter to Cooke City. I never, ever, get tired of the view.

The road is empty (this is great on a weekday after the tourist leave) and we are speeding up to make it to Cooke City before twilight and the increase of deer on the highway.

As we begin to close in on our destination, she is STILL smiling...

The colors and view are spectacular as always.

As we push on, the sun makes the late afternoon shadows accentuate the large rock formations.

This is truly God's Country.

Off in the distance, Pilot Butte becomes visible. A welcome site, knowing that Cooke City is on the other side.

At the junction of Hwy 212 that will take you on a great ride, either way.

Alan is keeping pace without a problem.

And the wife???? She is still smiling...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 705
Outstanding

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobrew

Alan is riding the blue beemer. He never even rode a bicycle before the age of 70. In the last 4 years, he has had 4 motorcycles. ...
Very cool.
Apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks
Here's to late bloomers!

Great report - nice pics.
I've been through some of those areas by car.
Would love to do it on a bike some day.
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,804
Awesome.

One of my favorite days riding was from Sundance to Cody.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,546
+1

I hope we see more of Alan's travels, it appears he's making up for lost time but tell him to retire those assless chaps and get some real riding britches. . Way to go Alan, it's great seeing people keep on living an active adventous life.

Great ride report, it looks like all three of you are having a terrific time, especially your wife who is still smiling.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,381
Gorgeous ride and pics!! Thanks for sharing it and she does have a lovely smile
Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Thanks for the comments

Thanks to all that have viewed this short trip. Alan is an amazing person, not for his age, not for his miles over the last 4 years, but for his attitude. He is a gamer! I like riding with those that enjoy the day, no matter what the weather, bike, or issues that come up. Life is so short, I can only hope that I can keep a positive attitude like Alan's if I (when) I make it to 70. My wife is an inspiration as well. Damn near lost her a few years back, but she is up for the adventure and challenge (God knows, living with me can be one at times). More to come...

Doug
Sheridan, WY
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

She is still smiling... Day 2

Ok,
I must admit, I am not good at writing RR, and I can't seem to remember to do certain things in order. So let's cut to the chase. We finally make it to Cooke City. All of us are on the same page... COCKTAILS/BEER...

I have a simple rule. NEVER drink and ride. But after the ride... I am ready to cut loose. We stop by Hoosier's for a few cold ones, then off to the Miner for dinner. Now I know, as stated before, to take a simple picture of our meal for ADV members to get a feel for the ride. The problem is I am HUNGRY. I remember a bit late to get a shot of my wifes chicken fried steak as she is getting full. She wanted a buffalo burger but they had sold out.

but the picture of my ribeye steak should explain how good the meal really was...

Sorry, it really was delicious. Coming from a rancher, I think I know what good beef tastes like. That and a half dozen PBR's followed by a Pendleton on the rocks, closed out the first day.

It was good to get a solid meal. Alan is a hunter/trapper and rancher by trade, and we all get up quite early by nature. At 6am, we all were in the lobby of the Super 8 getting coffee and a quick breakfast waiting for the sun to rise. We were ready to ride.

The issue with this approach is that Cooke City is high in the mountains and sheltered by high peaks. The sun is not likely to warm the town for quite some time, so we decide to saddle up and ride. It is a bit chilly at 8'ish as we find out, but we decide to press on thru Yellowstone enroute to Cody, Wyoming.

Now if you have a brand new BMW R1200RT, you have a few built in farkles that make it a bit more tolerable. Heated seats, grips and a great windscreen that keeps the air from slamming you in the face. Nothing like my KTM 950SE (nothing like my Harley either). Riding at 30 degrees makes you appreciate the 45 mph speed limit of YNP. No complaints on this trip.
The early start proved to be worth while as we entered a meadow not more that 10 miles into the park.

My wife LOVES Moose, so despite the cold, she is still smiling...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok,
I must admit, I am not good at writing RR, and I can't seem to remember to do certain things in order.

I have a simple rule. NEVER drink and ride. But after the ride... I am ready to cut loose. We stop by Hoosier's for a few cold ones, then off to the Miner for dinner.
I beg to differ - great report, Wyobrew.

excellent rule - NEVER drink and ride - sure is fun to tip back a few when the day is done, though

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
Thanks for taking the pix around Cooke City & the CJ that I neglected to take on my last ride through there. Was a bit busy motoring with a chick in a red Porsche on my tail. Love that ride.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Alan is an amazing person, not for his age, not for his miles over the last 4 years, but for his attitude. He is a gamer! I like riding with those that enjoy the day, no matter what the weather, bike, or issues that come up. Life is so short, I can only hope that I can keep a positive attitude like Alan's if I (when) I make it to 70.
You're so right. Attitude is everything. A positive attitude is one of the most important qualities to being a good ride partner and to enjoying the trip.

Looking forward to more...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
Hominid
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment
Thanks for taking the pix around Cooke City & the CJ that I neglected to take on my last ride through there. Was a bit busy motoring with a chick in a red Porsche on my tail. Love that ride.
Do they still have an old out of commision police cruiser parked at both ends of Cooke City to slow down the traffic as they enter town?

Cracked me up when I saw that. Crap - SPEED TRAP - um, look at all the weeds growing around the tires on that cruiser - never mind!