ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #136
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
It's a tough bind, no doubt about it. Only you can decide. Are there any airheads locally that could help out? I hear they like beer.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #137
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe
1. stick with the bike and work through it. it'd be a great learning experience as i have never done actual motor work as you can probably tell.

or

2. possibly sell it. i kinda wanted a bigger motor anyways so maybe i can just get a new short block or just sell it completely.

i dunno...i havent given it too much thought yet but ill let you guys know what i end up doing.
Hmmm, sell it? That might be a tough sell. It's a collection of parts that needs to be disassembled, repaired and then reassembled.

Ifn you're inclined to learn more then why not keep digging in. What've you got to lose? Really, all you need to do is pull the crank, replace the pins and reassemble it. It's not as simple as that but it's also not much more complicated than that.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #138
Dirtyenginehugger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Same problem, Same solution.

Working on a friend's newly aquired 74 R90/6 and ran into this exact problem doing the main seal for him. First time working on a BMW and after doing a search on this found this dated thread and found this to be the problem. SO anyhow took the advice intended for the original poster and tore down the motor to find a smashed thrust bearing and two malformed locator pins ordered all the replacement stuff and have been reassembling today. the damaged pins were punched out and were a very tight fit the replacement pins now fit a little loose, I was able to slide them easily by hand and they will move in and out with any pressure. I considered putting a little bit of epoxy on the pins to set them? Or can these float I assume the rear face of the flywheel would keep them in place in the rear but the rear crank counterweight seems to allow the pin to float forward at certain positions. Considering how easy it is to end up with this disastrous situation I hope to be able to come out of it with an answer for others who run into this problem.
Dirtyenginehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #139
Dirtyenginehugger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I set the pins with a little JB weld carefull placed with a tooth pick around the base of the pins and and also in the rear thrust bearing holes...crank spins freely with new seal and flywheel attached. I guess i'll get back to everyone after a few hundred miles and hopefully everything will be alright.
Dirtyenginehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #140
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Looks like they missed an airhead thread when they migrated to the new forum.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote