Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
coyotejoe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. so i removed the flywheel again and pushed the seal in as far as i could and when i tried to spin it, it wouldnt budge at all. i started to think what could have gone wrong and i noticed a piece of metal that came loose as i was pushing around the seals. some how the slinky looking spring circular thing that hides behind the copper plate was crushed and broke.

im not sure what its purpose is and how it got crushed but im guessing its not good and could partially be a reason why things arent moving the way it should.

i did torque the flywheel bolts to 75 ft/lbs and noticed a weird sound which was probably the spring being crushed but i have no idea how that could have happened....any suggestions?
coyotejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #17
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,102
Inside the lip of the seal there is a spring that keeps tension on the seal lips. It probably is probably that and it got dislodged when you removed the old seal (or installed the new one, make sure that it isn't from the new seal).

Without pics, just guessing...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 AM   #18
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
You have an older design seal. Replace it.

This is good news.. you don't have to pull the crank yet.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #19
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe
craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. so i removed the flywheel again and pushed the seal in as far as i could and when i tried to spin it, it wouldnt budge at all. i started to think what could have gone wrong and i noticed a piece of metal that came loose as i was pushing around the seals. some how the slinky looking spring circular thing that hides behind the copper plate was crushed and broke.

im not sure what its purpose is and how it got crushed but im guessing its not good and could partially be a reason why things arent moving the way it should.

i did torque the flywheel bolts to 75 ft/lbs and noticed a weird sound which was probably the spring being crushed but i have no idea how that could have happened....any suggestions?
I'm assuming that the copper plate you are referring to is the thrust washer that goes twixt the flywheel and the engine case, and the spring you are referring to is the spring that goes around the lip of the rear main seal. Assuming I am correct (I know, a lot of assumptions ...) it sounds like the spring became dislodged and somehow got under the thrust washer. So, based on that, I would closely inspect the thrust washer to make sure there is no damage. If there is, replace the thrust washer, which means checking the crank endplay, at a minimum.

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #20
coyotejoe OP
Adventurer

i took some pictures last night but for some reason i cant upload them...anyone know why?

so after reading Bill Harris' and AntonLargiader's response it sounds like the spring they're referring to is the same one. it keeps tension on the seal lips. my new seal didnt come with one...is it supposed to?

now the copper plate that it sits behind, is that the thrust washer?

and what is the crank endplay?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
TimTowtdi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
i took some pictures last night but for some reason i cant upload them...anyone know why?

so after reading Bill Harris' and AntonLargiader's response it sounds like the spring they're referring to is the same one. it keeps tension on the seal lips. my new seal didnt come with one...is it supposed to?

now the copper plate that it sits behind, is that the thrust washer?

and what is the crank endplay?
Yes, that is the thrust washer. Check it out for any damage. If the spring was lodged between the flywheel and thrust washer, that could cause it to not turn. Hopefully it is fine. You can discard the spring BTW, the new seal design does not use a spring.
TimTowtdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
That spring gave me pause too...it was designed to add tension. The new seal is black with a tan kevlar lip and no spring. A good design I hope. Also, no manual talks about how to install it. I can only commet on the G/S however so won't tell you the install specifics as it will fk you up more
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
coyotejoe OP
Adventurer

the original one that was on the bike was yellow but the one i installed was black. are you saying that if im using the black colored seal i dont need the spring?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
the original one that was on the bike was yellow but the one i installed was black. are you saying that if im using the black colored seal i dont need the spring?

nope, the spring was part of the old seal...not needed. If you look at the old seal, you will see where the spring fit into it

Use common sense...do you see any functional need for it?
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,482
Quote:
No, some old seals used the coil spring inside a lip to help keep them tight. the new ones with new materials and designs don't need them. They aren'[t something you could put in a seal, they are obviously put in the seal as part of the manufactoring process.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #26
coyotejoe OP
Adventurer

the thing im having trouble understanding is how in the world that spring got compressed in the first place. the flywheel bolts onto the crankshaft while the spring and thrust washer sit on the outside of it and can move freely. the only thing i could think of is if it fell off the crankshaft as i was installing the flywheel and got crushed when i was torqueing the flywheel bolts....but then the seal should have prevented that from happening...

also i kept the spring in there because 1) it was part of the original assembly and 2) isnt it used to help add tension on the thrust washer?

im going to try to remove the real main seal when i get home so i could see whats going on. ill keep you guys updated
Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
im going to try to remove the real main seal when i get home so i could see whats going on. ill keep you guys updated
Now I'm confused...

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #28
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
CJ needs to figure out how to upload pics. But it sounds like he may have had a new style in there and replaced with an old style. The new ones are single lipped and yellow/ tan on the lip where the old ones were double lipped and black (I think they were black).
weird.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,511
CJ:

Just sent you a PM and offered to host the pics for you. I can also post them if you like. I think 1-2 pics of your bikes will really help out here. I am sure someone here (not me) will offer you the right solution for your bike.

t.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #30
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,511
Pics and Text from OP:

so adv1 was taken before i put the new seal in. you can see the
spring that ive been talking about behind the copper thrust washer
adv2 was taken last night. i was able to pull the spring out without
removing the seal which i think might be confusing people. either
that or it was my analysis of how i think the spring got crushed.
either way i forgot to explain everything which might have caused some
confusion.

Adv1:

Adv2: (I think):

Carry On.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 07:35 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote