User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #76
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
What does your post have to do with repairing the damage that "coyotejoe" did to his Airhead engine?
It did not compute.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #77
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
So please enlighten us...

What does your post have to do with repairing the damage that "coyotejoe" did to his Airhead engine?
I think he is being tongue in cheek....then again I find is avatar kind of freaky....
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #78
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford
Back to the initial thread reason/title....

Just finished stripping a 1980 KZ1000 MKII and found some "extra's" stuck on the sump pan

Oh well - only ran it for ablout 100miles, then decided to strip it down, so its cleaned out now.

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #79
coyotejoe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
hey good news and bad news today! ill start with the good news first.

the good news is that the crank still turns which means 3 things.
1. i properly blocked the crankshaft from moving forward
2. the inner thrust washer must still be on its pins
3. i need to change the topic to awww crap i didnt drop my thrust washer into the the engine but i F****d the rear thrust washer and its pins!

so onto the bad news...
i still need to figure out how to pull the pins that seat the rear thrust washer. anyone know if this is possible? after looking at the photos that some of you other guys posted it looks like your pins are a copper/ brass color. it actually almost looks like they're screwed into the engine case so that it wouldnt fall off. mine are silver colored and smashed in.

also does anyone know what purpose the rear thrust washer serves?
coyotejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #80
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
C'mon CJ, think about it. Then suggest your best guess to list and see if it's confirmed.

Hint: you removed the flywheel but before doing so needed to block the crank so it wouldn't move forward in the block. What would happen if that rear thrust washer wasn't there?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #81
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe
hey good news and bad news today! ill start with the good news first.

the good news is that the crank still turns which means 3 things.
1. i properly blocked the crankshaft from moving forward
2. the inner thrust washer must still be on its pins
3. i need to change the topic to awww crap i didnt drop my thrust washer into the the engine but i F****d the rear thrust washer and its pins!

so onto the bad news...
i still need to figure out how to pull the pins that seat the rear thrust washer. anyone know if this is possible? after looking at the photos that some of you other guys posted it looks like your pins are a copper/ brass color. it actually almost looks like they're screwed into the engine case so that it wouldnt fall off. mine are silver colored and smashed in.

How about getting some new pins, turning the (NEW) thrust washer slightly or alot, and drilling new holes?
That's a logical approach.
Seriously, You don't know why the other THRUST washer is there??
C'mon dude. think it over and think specified ... ..... at several thousandths of an inch or hundreths of a millimeter.....

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #82
x3300
geoff

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
the rear crankshaft thrust washer may have fallen of its pin and is now crushed...
Hi,

The first time I took off a flywheel I didn't know it needed to be fixed from moving forward. The thrust bearing fell off, but I was able to get it back into position by pushing and turning the crank in the front and working it with a small screw driver through the pin holes in the back.

-x3300
x3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #83
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
C'mon guys - ol' CJ is just having you on. He's probably some old timer who is pretending to be a noob and he's trying to get a rise out of you - and he's succeeding.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #84
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
C'mon guys - ol' CJ is just having you on. He's probably some old timer who is pretending to be a noob and he's trying to get a rise out of you - and he's succeeding.
Did you see the photos? Someone screwed something up. Quite a step to take for a joke.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #85
Neil Claydon
Don't follow me, I'm lost

Oddometer: 229
Quote:

Well the pins are a push fit, if they were threaded they would not have moved.
The pins are steel, so get a good welder to tack weld a slide hammer to the end of the pin and pull it out, repeat for the other.
Order new pins (or clean yours up if that is not possible) + a thrust plate and reasemble.

Neil.
Neil Claydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #86
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
How about getting some new pins, turning the (NEW) thrust washer slightly or alot, and drilling new holes?
Wirewrkr -

I'm not certain that that's a reasonable approach (I thought about it too ).

Looking at the "Engine Housing Mounting Parts" fiche I'm guessing that #11 "ANTI RATTLE PIN" are the pins in question and it looks like there are only two and they extend out on both the inside and outside of the case and are the pins for BOTH the forward and reward thrust washers.

i.e. if he's pushed the pin in on the clutch side then it's too proud on the inside of the case and will cause serious problems.

I think that's why Anton was so succint in saying that the crank needs to come out.

Fiche I'm referring to - see #11
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=11&fg=10

Interested in comments.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #87
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Claydon
Well the pins are a push fit, if they were threaded they would not have moved.
The pins are steel, so get a good welder to tack weld a slide hammer to the end of the pin and pull it out, repeat for the other.
Order new pins (or clean yours up if that is not possible) + a thrust plate and reasemble.

Neil.
Neat idea.

But, if there are just two pins that locate the forward and rearward thrust washers, i.e. the same two pins locate the thrust washers on the inside and outside of the case, then he'll still need to remove the right jug when inserting the new pin and it may require an act of god to have the forward thrust bearing in the correct location when inserting the pins.

Or, he could tack weld the pin and pull it out the precise amount needed. The gods will need to smile on that maneuver as well.

Only having maps to look at, I'd be interested in hearing from people who've actually navigated this terrain.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #88
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3300
Hi,

The first time I took off a flywheel I didn't know it needed to be fixed from moving forward. The thrust bearing fell off, but I was able to get it back into position by pushing and turning the crank in the front and working it with a small screw driver through the pin holes in the back.

-x3300
He blocked the crank and the thrust bearing on the inside of the engine isn't an issue...yet.

He crushed the thrust washer that sits between the outside of the case and the flywheel/or guide ring. And pushed the locating pins in while cranking cranking down on the flywheel bolts.

Make sense?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #89
Neil Claydon
Don't follow me, I'm lost

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens
Neat idea.

But, if there are just two pins that locate the forward and rearward thrust washers, i.e. the same two pins locate the thrust washers on the inside and outside of the case, then he'll still need to remove the right jug when inserting the new pin and it may require an act of god to have the forward thrust bearing in the correct location when inserting the pins.

Or, he could tack weld the pin and pull it out the precise amount needed. The gods will need to smile on that maneuver as well.

Only having maps to look at, I'd be interested in hearing from people who've actually navigated this terrain.
Do one pin at a time, pull the old one, replace with new and repeat.

Neil.
Neil Claydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #90
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Since the gearbox is off, it's not a lot more work to pull the crankshaft. Just get it over with. You'll need a new timing chain and some seals and gaskets, as well as a puller for the front man bearing holder (you can make your own).

I realised long ago that just doing it right doesn't take a lot longer than trying to find the easy way out.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote