User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
ghostryder OP
made it

Oddometer: 5,616
Atl....To Jekyll Island

Well after spending a few weeks out and about on the left coast It was good to be home, but we all know that little feeling that we get when were home.....time to go again. So I decided to head to Jekyll Island. I rode down there earlier in the year but didn't get to spend much time....So I decided to head back and look around. Here are a few shots from from Atlanta on the way there....

Although south Ga dosent have much in the way of twisties or great roads, it dose have some cool buildings that line the roads....

Finally making it to the Island, I got my room, unloaded the bike and decided to ride around and see what I could find...while the sun was getting ready to set....

While walking to get one of the pics....I almost ran into this guy....I dont know what he is called.....other than HUGE!!!!!!!

I was surprised to find all the little side roads on the Island....

Back to the open areas.......

Just watchin the sunset and then this little guy decides to cruise on by.....

Then decided to head back toward the hotel and see the beach on on the other side of the island. Saw this guy on the way back

While watchig the colors change on the beach I was watching this guy build his home for the night....

Then that was it for the night, off to enjoy some scotch in some of the hotels finest plastic. Then the real reason I came down here. Last time I rode through I saw the driftwood beach and was amazed at all the big trees and logs that washed up on the beach. So cool beach, giant driftwood trees, and a sunrise what can happen???? Hope you like the pics....

Some of the patterns in the trees were amazing......

One of the beaches local's

Then it was time to head back, pack up and head out.

Ya knew one of these was coming.....

And the best part of heading to the beach in Oct.....no one around.....

As always thanks for looking....Hope you enjoyed the pics!!!!!

ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Nice ride and pics! Your bike's color combo with the black guards and Micatech cases looks really sharp.. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
ghostryder OP
made it

Thanks GB!!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
meshuggah
watkuweis

Oddometer: 10
Great Pics. Used to go down there all the time with my family. How was the temp?

That spider is the Banana spider or the Golden silk orb-weaver. They say it is poisonous, but I wouldn't like to find out.
meshuggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
ghostryder OP
made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggah
Great Pics. Used to go down there all the time with my family. How was the temp?

That spider is the Banana spider or the Golden silk orb-weaver. They say it is poisonous, but I wouldn't like to find out.
Thanks....Ill just call it the realllllly big creepy thing. I was walking to get the shot, saw a part of the web and looked up, and couldn't believe the size of that thing. Anyway It was prefect 80 during the day and 60's at night. There were only a few people around as well....the perfect time to go.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
-N8-
Ride like you stole it!!

Oddometer: 125
Jay

Great Pics! I love riding the bike out to the coast, though I usually end up in SAV/Tybee. What route did you take? I go through Augusta then down along the Savannah river to the Talmadge bridge.

Too bad Jekyll doesn't allow motos on the bike paths

The More moving parts...the safer I feel!!

-N8- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
ghostryder OP
made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by -N8-
Jay

Great Pics! I love riding the bike out to the coast, though I usually end up in SAV/Tybee. What route did you take? I go through Augusta then down along the Savannah river to the Talmadge bridge.

Too bad Jekyll doesn't allow motos on the bike paths
Thanks N8, Going down I went out 20 to 441 then just took what ever road looked like it was going towards where I wanted to go. Some of the bigger roads were 199, 221, 169, onto 25 into the island. It was fun trying to get through some of these side roads that were nothing but dirt and sand. Ill have to try your rout next time.....sounds like a good one.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,816
Awesome pics, Jay!

I love heading out to Edisto Island here in SC...there is a protected stretch of beach in a state park with tons of driftwood on the beach...I really like trying to find odd patterns and such in the wood. Very cool, stuff, man!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
ghostryder OP
made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider
Awesome pics, Jay!

I love heading out to Edisto Island here in SC...there is a protected stretch of beach in a state park with tons of driftwood on the beach...I really like trying to find odd patterns and such in the wood. Very cool, stuff, man!
Thank you, I will have to head that way. I was fascinated by not only the size of the trees that washed up, but all the different patterns, and colors that they had there. I tried to capture as much of it as I could, Im glad that you enjoyed the pics!!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Nice!!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Georgia coast

My daughter just graduated from SCAD in Savannah so we've spent a fair amount over there in the past 4 years (and a whole lot of money).

Much of the Georgia coast looks like the Florida Gulf coast along the Big Bend area. Not much beach but a lot of marsh full of birds, insects, fish and other wildlife.

They both seem to be flat and straight as far as the roads go however. So you have to find your adventure in other ways.

Nice report and thanks for posting it.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder
Thank you, I will have to head that way. I was fascinated by not only the size of the trees that washed up, but all the different patterns, and colors that they had there. I tried to capture as much of it as I could, Im glad that you enjoyed the pics!!!!!
Awesome pics! If I may be so bold and add a little info here: The trees dont wash up on the beach. They were already there as part of the island's maritime forest and the beach is eroding inward from the ocean. The whole island is slowly (thousands of years) miagrating towards land. Kinda neat. If you like those "bone yards" of fallen trees check out St. Catherines island, accessable only by boat. I'm sure you could find a ride or charter out of Savannah, Richmond Hill, or Midway. Or you can let me know next time you go down and I can try and make arrangements. This time of year is awesome down there. I grew up right down the street from Ft. McAllister.
Again, awesome job on showing off coastal Georgia to ADV. Brings back fond memories. Thank you.

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,816
Also another cool place with a boneyard on the beach is Bull's Island/Cape Romain Wildlife Refuge. Also only accessible by boat/chartered ferry. Also chock full of alligators, but there are paths and raised dikes to keep you out of harm's way for the most part.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I have lived in the Savannah area my whole life. When I see pics like yours it makes me want to kick myself because I have never really explored much of our local coastal areas. I usually just ride back inland. Gonna have to change that.
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Very cool. Never knew about driftwood beach. I'll have to check that out next time I'm down that way. If you take 441 back up, or even back down next time, there is a great little place called MaBob's in Irwinton to stop and get some grub. Grad and I ride there from time to time for breakfast.

Fireman1000 screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 06:53 PM
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote